SASS Wire Forum

Pistol Pairings for standard age category

Whiskey Hicks

30 minutes ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

I was thinking of either buying some spare cylinders or teaching myself how to make paper cartridges ahead of time.

I typically don't recommend using cap & ball revolver(s) for a shootets first several matches, but if you've got one already then still practice loading a lot and firing as much as possible so you'll know how to deal with cap jams, fail to fire, etc. on the clock. There is quite a bit going on during a match that takes some getting used to. By the time you buy 4-5 extra cylinders you're half way to another Pietta Cartridge Revolver. 

All that's said, you can shoot a cap & ball revolver in all categories. Be safe, have fun. Welcome to the best game thete is.

1 hour ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

I was thinking of either buying some spare cylinders or teaching myself how to make paper cartridges ahead of time.

Just my opinion but I have found that paper cartridges are not worth the time it takes to make them.

With just a little practice you can load 2 C&B guns in the time it takes 3 or 4 shooters to shoot a stage. The most important thing is to practice loading until the steps are automatic and ALWAYS done the same way every time. You can load on or off the pistol equally well. Which you choose is personal preference. You just have to practice doing it that way.  The first time you shoot cap guns at a match pick a day when the posse in at least 15 shooters. This way you will have time to load and still help out with posse duties. Bring cartridge guns just in case something happens.

have the mind set that crap happens and that when it does your plan is to smile and take it in stride.  Cap jams are part of the experience. Although, if you tune your pistols correctly they will be the exception rather than the norm.

I took second place at a state match shooting Frontiersman simply because my pistols had fewer problems than the guy that took third. He had years of C&B experience and I had less than one but I paid attention to detail and and made sure my pistols were in top shape. If you looked at the raw stage times his were mostly better than mine but I had fewer misses and no train wrecks where as he had 1 serious train wreck and a few more misses.

You may need to replace the nipples on the Navy cap gun with aftermarket nipples.  The stock nipples often have dimensional problems that make them unreliable.  Also, have a plan for loading on a rainy day.  It doesn't take much water in the wrong places to make them unreliable.

PLUS ONE to Tyrel and Sedalia, and ... well just EVERYBODY.

Added:  My Main Match guns are Cap Guns.  SNUBBIE Cap Guns.  First thing you do is replace OEM nipples with Slix.  Then there is a litany of improvements needed for reliability and to be user friendly.  GO FOR IT

Welcome to the wonderful world of shooting capguns. Lots of tricks to the trade. I preload some tubes with the powder charge that I like and put 10 in a ziplock bag so when I have to load they are ready and do not have or want to mess with a powder flask. I had gotten what was called speed loader tubes cannot think of from where. Then have a container with my lubed wads and for the balls. I did change out the nipples on the guns and that helped make them more reliable. When you are at a match and see someone shooting them don't be shy and ask questions 

If you can attend a Plainsman side match I highly recommend it. Ask questions and you'll learn a lot in a very short time.

Bring a notebook and take lots of notes.

They used to be posted on the Open Range forum but it no longer exists. 

If no one has a link to an online copies I can email you the documents for Pietta and Uberti open tops.

For what it's worth, for my first bunch of matches I used a .44 Centennial 1860 replica and a .45 Blackhawk.  I'd had the C&B for over 20 years, and the Ruger for over 15.

Didn't win any, but had a bunch of fun.   :)

Centennial-Ruger.thumb.jpg.cbc03ab51600b90d4102bb52e8a807b3.jpg

On 6/2/2020 at 12:53 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

Do you have the C&B tuning guide that Lawson Pettifogger wrote?

That would be Larson Pettifogger.

On 6/2/2020 at 12:53 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

Do you have the C&B tuning guide that Lawson Pettifogger wrote?

Mr Pettifogger's guides for tuning the Pietta can be found in the June and July 2008 Cowboy Chronicles.  ;)

June 2008 Chronicle - Part 1 (scroll to Page 38)

July  2008 Chronicle - Part 2 (scroll to Page 34)

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Mr Pettifogger's guides for tuning the Pietta can be found in the June and July 2008 Cowboy Chronicles.  ;)

June 2008 Chronicle - Part 1 (scroll to Page 38)

July  2008 Chronicle - Part 2 (scroll to Page 34)

Thanks Hardpan.

Knowing where to look I was able to find Uberti Articles

Tuning the Uberti C&B guns can be found in

May 2009 Chronicle - Pt 1 Pg 44

June 2009 Chronicle - Pt 2 Pg 36

July 2009 Chronicle - Pt 3 Pg 40

August 2009 Chronicle - Pt 4 Pg 40

Very Special thanks to Larsen Pettifogger for doing these write ups 

Archived