SASS Wire Forum

Screw in chokes

Tennessee Snuffy

12 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Chokes at 10 yards is like eye shadow and lipstick onna pig.

Hey, hey, hey!  I'll have you know, the eye shadow makes all the difference in the world.

It does help with fine tuning. IOW, if you load 3/4 oz or less, the pattern gets a bit thin. For light loads I use a skeet choke to tighten the pattern a wee bit. 

I'm an old cowboy, when I kiss a pig, I prefer if it has lipstick and eye shadow, helps with the mood. It also helps to close your eyes and hold your breath.

No benefit until you start shooting Cowboy shotgun (thrown) targets.   And expensive compared to a cylinder bore barrel.  Have yet to find a KD out to about 20 yards that does not go down with any of my CYL (no choke) guns.

Good luck, GJ

The biggest disadvantage, in my opinion, is that they are ugly and make the gun look weird.   Gimme a 30" full choke barrel any day of the week and I'll be happy.

Yes, I prefer longer barrels, which is why I don't own a conventional reproduction 87.   They either have 20" barrels with screw in chokes, or 26" barrels with screw ins.

Well, I think interchangeable chokes make it more adaptable.  I shoot  a SxS and it comes in handy for my primary category of  FC, then Plainsman.  But, for BP Clays a choke change adds a few more hits than "open"  then after Clays,  go to trap and an IMP MOD works well, but not so good at skeet where SKT and IMP SKT work well.  All with BP at WR in a 4 hour run.....

So, a one gun match with  five events, successful only with choke tubes,

I like mine!!

Ol'  #4

15 hours ago, "Big Boston" said:

I'm an old cowboy, when I kiss a pig, I prefer if it has lipstick and eye shadow, helps with the mood. It also helps to close your eyes and hold your breath.

Sounds like one of your old girlfriends....

Texas Lizard

not much good when you have sawed off your double from its original length , but then they are rather sparkly hangin from your cart ...if you polish them up nicely , 

came back to add - they have their place , skeet was mentioned and trap of coarse but sporting clays is more common use , even cowboy trap/clays you can get by with your basic shotgun - i do use my long ones not my coach anymore , that didnt go so wellas i would like , 

Archived