SASS Wire Forum

WTB Lee 44-40 Collet Crimp Die

La Sombra

So I have decided to reload 44-40. My reloading mentor believes that a Lee 44-40 Collet Crimp Die would assist in the making of this ammunition. Unfortunately Lee no longer makes them in 44-40 and the usual suspects have none in stock or for sale.

I am looking to buy a Lee 44-40 Collet Crimp Die. Please note this is not a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

If you have one and you'd part with it, send me a PM

Thanks,

La Sombra

Abilene,

So my reloading mentor who is well known to you, AD, suggested the use of the collet crimp die.

The following was my response to a gentleman who said the same thing to me in a message.

I am dealing with Starline new brass without a defined neck. The problem is not the crimp, but rather the production of a neck on new brass. The Lee FCD does a great job crimping, but really does give the 44-40 its neck. That is what the collect crimp die does for you. The brass without a neck chambers and fires in my pistol, but it a real bear to chamber in my rifle. And frankly I'd rather not fireform 100 pieces of brass in my rifle to get a neck.

Also my rifle bore is .427 as are my bullets. So the issue with the rifle being difficult to chamber a round is not the bullet.

Does this explain my need better?

Thanks,

La Sombra

I've only used the Redding profile crimp die for the .44-40 rifle for the last two years.  Does a perfect job every time.  As for the cases, every Starline .44-40 case I've ever bought came with a slight bottle neck.  The neck gets more pronounced after the first reload, but it's there none-the-less when new.

10 minutes ago, Reuben McCoy Rankin # 34239 said:

Maybe I'm wrong, the sizing die forms the case if not   a reding profile crimp die would work for what you need.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Archived