SASS Wire Forum

Current Single-Shot Shotguns

1 minute ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

You can usually find H&R's at pawn shops for under 100 bucks.  I've seen them as cheap as $75.

They have an ejector that is legal.  With practice one can bounce empty hulls off the TO. ;)

1 hour ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

They have an ejector that is legal.  With practice one can bounce empty hulls off the TO. ;)

My daughter learned to bounce them off her father. To point she would shoot look around see where I was then break action.

Howdy,

I have an old single 12 gauge. 

It worked fine last time I shot it.

And it has sat a while.....

Did you have to have a new one?

Best

CR

1 hour ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

My daughter learned to bounce them off her father. To point she would shoot look around see where I was then break action.

Mine too!!! A .410 can sail!

Whatever you do, avoid a so-called "Youth Model" H&R type .410.  Depending on the ammunition, they have a surprisingly sharp recoil and can be downright unpleasant to shoot.  :huh:

Henry makes a single shot.  The LGS carries Rossi and ATI Nomad single shots as well.  The Nomad is a bit stiff, but the Rossi is a smooth little 410.

Appreciate the comments. Haven't committed to a single-shot, but that's my inclination and a new one would be the ticket. The Henry seems pretty appealing.

I bought a Remington SS on a whim at Big 5 a few years back; it was very cheap on sale. Turned out the stock was fake wood and the action was strange and clunky. I just put it away and mostly forgot about it. I got it our recently with the current purpose in mind and realized that it wouldn't do. My own first as a 12-year-old was a Mod. 37 and the Henry is reminiscent of it.

My step- grandfather had a Monkey Wards single shot external hammer 12 gauge in his bedroom closet.   I borrowed it to kill two of the three ducks I have ever shot, hiding on the banks of the Arkansas River in southeastern Colorado, back in the early  ‘60s. Kicked like the proverbial mule when pointing straight up!

I wish I could give that old stovepipe some exercise at a SASS match, but it has gone down a different family branch, if it still exists.

Single shot shotguns, like single shot rifles,  can be remarkably charming.

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Henry makes them. They are based on their single shot rifle. I have their 45-70 rifle and really like it. 

https://www.henryusa.com/shotgun/single-shot-shotgun/

Wouldn't be great if Henry came out with a SxS.  :FlagAm:

OLG 

7 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Wouldn't be great if Henry came out with a SxS.  :FlagAm:

OLG 

Yes. 

As a matter what f fact, when they came out with the single shot rifle I and many others, I am sure, called Henry and asked them to chamber the single shot in 30-30 and pistol rounds like .357 and .44 Magnum. They did. 

Maybe we should put some calls in to Henry and ask for SXS shotguns based on their single shots. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yes. 

As a matter what f fact, when they came out with the single shot rifle I and many others, I am sure, called Henry and asked them to chamber the single shot in 30-30 and pistol rounds like .357 and .44 Magnum. They did. 

Maybe we should put some calls in to Henry and ask for SXS shotguns based on their single shots. 

I too have the 45/70 and love it.

I did knock off the stock sights and install Lever action rifle sights and it's a lot nicer IMHO.

So saith The Rooster 

5 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I learned on an H&R Topper. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy one at a pawn shop for $100. Great little gun. 

Two in my safe right now. Might have to pull my .410 out and wipe it down with some Hoppes. No better smell than a fired .410 shell.

One of the guys we shoot with runs an H&R 20Ga.   He can keep right up with the single load crowd with their '97s.  Don't be real quick to fault a single barrel shotgun with ejector.  They can be humdinger quick.

On 6/2/2020 at 6:56 AM, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I learned on an H&R Topper. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy one at a pawn shop for $100. Great little gun. 

Oh, HECK yeah!

While suffering through a baby shower my female relatives sponsored for the Former Missus Hardpan, Uncle Frankie (the only other male present - and equally miserable), stood up and said "C'mere!"  and led me to the basement.  There, he unlocked his KNAACK box, rummaged about a bit, then pulled out a 20 ga H&R Topper.  He handed it to me and with a grin said "Here!  The Kid's first shotgun!!"  

Well, when he was eight, the Kid decided he wanted to take up bird hunting.  So off to Hunter Safety Class (he scored very high on the test), some practice with his Topper shooting cans and wild gourds, and he was ready.

I took him to a Ducks Unlimited "Greenwing" event that included clay pigeon shooting.  I explained that they could be hard to hit at first, and told him to not be disappointed if he missed all of 'em starting out.  When he was called up he smoked the first bird.  "Like THAT, Dad?"   DOH~!!  :lol:

Opening day of dove season.  Again, I warned him that the little feathered rockets were extremely difficult to hit.  No sooner did I say that, than one buzzed by and BLAM!  a cloud of feathers.  "Like THAT, Dad?"  :D

He got a few more that day.

The Kid took his first two ducks - teals! - with that gun.  And he still cherishes it.  It was vastly easier and more comfortable to shoot than the miserable H&R .410 so-called "Youth Model" that came later...  and left shortly afterward.

09/01/2000 Sassparilla Kid - Age 8, H&R Topper 20 gauge

RyanDove2b.thumb.jpg.41551b7ad5dfba13d84786112c82777f.jpg                 

I have several times shot with a Henry 1860 rifle . 

Pietta 1851's  and a H&R 12g single shot .

Really a lot of fun .

For one match last year, we had a group of misfits that shot a "single barrel" posse, 20, 12, 16 or 10 gauge.  We had a blast, and the prize was a bottle of single barrel whiskey.  I haven't broke the seal on it yet :) 

Armscor/Rock Island Armory has a single shot in .410, 20g, or 12g that retails for $119 and change. Other than it opens by pulling the trigger guard back, I don't know anything else about it.

RIAshotgun.jpg

19 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

For one match last year, we had a group of misfits that shot a "single barrel" posse, 20, 12, 16 or 10 gauge.  We had a blast, and the prize was a bottle of single barrel whiskey.  I haven't broke the seal on it yet :) 

Yea and my dang shoulder still pains me from dat 36in. barreled 10ga. with 3 1/2 in. shells.:unsure::D:Dseems to me ya inherited a purty nice ol 12ga. from dat match too:unsure::P Gitt'n bout time to do'er agin this year.:D

5 hours ago, lickskillet charlie said:

Yea and my dang shoulder still pains me from dat 36in. barreled 10ga. with 3 1/2 in. shells.:unsure::D:Dseems to me ya inherited a purty nice ol 12ga. from dat match too:unsure::P Gitt'n bout time to do'er agin this year.:D

A dang good pard gifted me that gun.  Thank you LSC, You're only the third person who has ever given me a gun, and I appreciate you.  I'm up for doing it in July if y'all are.  

Archived