SASS Wire Forum

Would you pay more for a plant-based hamburger?

Alpo

3 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

This follows the same logic as E-85 gasoline.  According to everything I've read, ethanol is more expensive by volume to produce than regular gasoline.  So why the hell is ethanol-free gasoline more expensive (by far) than regular E-85, which contains the more expensive additive?

Government subsidies for environmental purposes.  

Would I pay for a Cadillac and be happy receiving a Rambler?  No.

Would I be happy paying for a hamburger and receiving pressed vegetables between two pieces of bread?  No.

NO,  I eat real meat, raised of a farm.

My family raised hogs and cattle, and I ate vegetables from the garden with real meat that we raised and butchered.

That being said, I think I will fix me a ham sandwich.

15 hours ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

Only veggie burgers I’ve actually liked  are black bean. They’re not a substitute for when I want a hamburger, but they’re tasty enough on occasion when I need to cut back on red meat a bit.

I buy Morningstar Farms breakfast patties and links. They're sausage copies. I buy them because they taste good! The other stuff they have is okay but I really love their breakfast stuff.

Oh yea caution don't try the bacon!! Yuk!

People don't want red meat because its bad for you. You do realize to get crappy tasting soybeans to taste like beef you have to add a ton of chemicals/stuff to it.

I read somewhere that its the same stuff they add to dry dog food to make it "beef" flavor

I eat lots of beef, pork, veal, etc.with gravy. I love biscuits covered with sausage gravy. I swaddle my poultry in cream sauces.  and eat  lots of mashed and escalloped potatoes. I cover my broccoli and cauliflower with Hollandaise sauce. . I am an El Rey.   :D

My non hormone meat is elk, deer and moose.  :wub:

Vegetarians and vegans should stay in the liberal bastions of "freedom" like NYC, SF, LA, etc. Don't Kalifornicate my Idaho!  :angry:

Just a thought…

By 2022, the cumulative effects of population growth, pollution, pandemics, and some yet unseen climate catastrophe will have caused severe worldwide shortages of food, clean drinking water and adequate housing.  There are already 10 million people living just in New York City – the landscape can only provide so much food before we run out of cows!!!

Maybe a source of food made from soy and lentils could be turned into convenient food wafers that could feed the entire world. 
We could classify them by colors - red burgers - yellow burgers - who knows, they could even add some ocean plankton to make it even better and make those burgers a green color.  

The soy/lentil burgers ought to be waaay better than cow meat.....

2 hours ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

I eat lots of beef, pork, veal, etc.with gravy. I love biscuits covered with sausage gravy. I swaddle my poultry in cream sauces.  and eat  lots of mashed and escalloped potatoes. I cover my broccoli and cauliflower with Hollandaise sauce. . I am an El Rey.   :D

My non hormone meat is elk, deer and moose.  :wub:

Vegetarians and vegans should stay in the liberal bastions of "freedom" like NYC, SF, LA, etc. Don't Kalifornicate my Idaho!  :angry:

I fail to see how veggie burgers (or the like) "Kaliforicate" your Idaho. Don't want 'em, don't buy 'em.

If you really wish to pursue these true culinary delights, I suggest you compare the ingredients in faque burgers, to the ingredients in DOG FOOD.  You very well may be unpleasantly surprised.

PLUS ONE TOO ALLIE MO!!  Margarine was never originally intended for human consumption.  Horrible stuff.

SPAM for everyone.  Right??

Fake burgers are an insult to Idaho cattle ranchers and should remain in Kalifornia. Margarine is really useful for packing front wheel bearings.  :angry: 2% and skim milk are abominations.  :huh:

Healthy foods are elk, moose and deer and wild fowl. I don't list antelope only because I don't care for it.  <_<

FWIW, I use 40% cream!!!:D

3 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I fail to see how veggie burgers (or the like) "Kaliforicate" your Idaho. Don't want 'em, don't buy 'em.

Thank you. There are 37 million people in California. My best guess would be .01% are vegetarians. I’m pretty sure we eat more beef than any other state. Just simple numbers. 

Now Alpo, there's an issue with your premise.  You're making the assumption that someone would pay for a "plant based burger" (whatever that is) to start with.  It's like asking "why did you beat your wife?"

I wouldn't pay for a plant based burger.  So I can neither say yes nor no as an answer to that question.  And no, I didn't beat my wife.  The bruise that she's going to have on her cheek on Saturday will be a result of not holding her shotgun properly.

16 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I buy Morningstar Farms breakfast patties and links. They're sausage copies. I buy them because they taste good! The other stuff they have is okay but I really love their breakfast stuff.

Oh yea caution don't try the bacon!! Yuk!

Tried those a time or twa, thought they sucked. I used to work in a store with a huge health food section. They'd sometimes bring us stuff that didn't sell (that should be a tip off) and one time it was meat free chili. I tried since the price was right (free) and it REALLY sucked!

JHC:lol:

8 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

And no, I didn't beat my wife.  The bruise that she's going to have on her cheek on Saturday will be a result of not holding her shotgun properly.

As you may be aware, when some people get up into their 60s and 70s they will occasionally have trouble with their balance. My father lost his balance going out the backdoor one time, fell and hit his head on the concrete stoop.

He wasn't hurt, but he had a large obvious bruise on his head. People would see it and say, "Oh my goodness. What happened!??!?"

He responded the same way every time.

"My wife, her 2x4, none of your damn business."

6 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Tried those a time or twa, thought they sucked. I used to work in a store with a huge health food section. They'd sometimes bring us stuff that didn't sell (that should be a tip off) and one time it was meat free chili. I tried since the price was right (free) and it REALLY sucked!

JHC:lol:

Everyone's taste buds are different. I just had 3 MF breakfast links and some scrambled eggs this morning.

Archived