SASS Wire Forum

Would you pay more for a plant-based hamburger?

Alpo

Got a flyer in the mail. Burger King ad. An impossible Whopper meal was $6. A plain Whopper meal was $5.

I had to look it up to find out what an impossible Whopper was. There's a new (or at least new to me) company called impossible burgers making plant-based hamburger.

So you can get a soybean hamburger at Burger King but it costs a dollar more than a cow hamburger.

That seems quite strange to me.
And I certainly would not do it.

I tried the Carl's Jr  veggie burger. I didn't buy it. My son-in-law bought one and we cut it half and tried  it. I have to admit that it actually tasted good. Would I buy one? Maybe. If somehow  they  ran out of meat and that was the only place to eat for miles around.

It has always baffled me that if a person wants to be a vegetarian, vegan, whatever... why do they want imitation meat?

Why would you do that?  But then again, why would you pay more for lean hamburger, when you can get a higher fat content in less expensive hamburger. Fat makes the burger juicier. I suppose if you ate a dozen burgers every day, there would be a valid reason, but other  than quantity, I can see no reason for BMC to change. 

I see NO reason.   Even if was cheaper      GW

Schoolmarm has a meat allergy that precludes her eating a real hamburger.  She gets one of these plant burgers once in a while.

I read the other day that some doctors are warning that all of the processing that goes into making these things taste like meat can make them hazardous to your health!

When I told Schoolmarm about that, she responded with the statement that it’s better for her than eating a real meat hamburger ‘cause she doesn’t suffer anaphylaxis when she eats the Impossible Burger!

We tried the BK version.  It was okay.  Slightly odd texture,  flavor close to a regular burger.  Now that we have tried it we see no reason to buy another unless we simply must have a burger during Lent .

The technology ain’t there yet. Maybe someday.

This follows the same logic as E-85 gasoline.  According to everything I've read, ethanol is more expensive by volume to produce than regular gasoline.  So why the hell is ethanol-free gasoline more expensive (by far) than regular E-85, which contains the more expensive additive?

30 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

We tried the BK version.  It was okay.  Slightly odd texture,  flavor close to a regular burger.  Now that we have tried it we see no reason to buy another unless we simply must have a burger during Lent .

Huh... never thought of the Lent angle, but I really have no desire to even try one.

Subject of a radio discussion I heard recently.  Seems they're higher in saturated fats than beef; the extra fat is necessary to make the flavor reasonably acceptable.

But heck, I'd eat one.  Wouldn't go out of my way or pay more for it, but otherwise I'd eat one.  :)

Extra ketchup, please!    ^_^

Meatless%20Options%20Infographic.jpg

3 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Subject of a radio discussion I heard recently.  Seems they're higher in saturated fats than beef; the extra fat is necessary to make the flavor reasonably acceptable.

But heck, I'd eat one.  Wouldn't go out of my way or pay more for it, but otherwise I'd eat one.  :)

Meatless%20Options%20Infographic.jpg

Don't forget the bacon and cheese!

15 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

That makes everything better if it ain't that great to begin with....:D

1 hour ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

Huh... never thought of the Lent angle, but I really have no desire to even try one.

Of course,  giving in to a craving like that during Lent brings up the question of should you  really scratch that itch during Lent.  Or any of the other fasts throughout the year.

Just as during Lent shellfish and crustaceans are allowed,  but should you indulge in them?  General feeling on those is that if they are not a special luxury item for special occasions for you then go ahead.   If it is only a celebratory item , a luxury. then no.  

16 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Or paint , good red barn paint 

The last time I ate lead barn paint, it didn't have any bad effects and tasted better than a veggie burger.

1 minute ago, Cypress Sun said:

The last time I ate lead barn paint, it didn't have any bad effects and tasted better than a veggie burger.

China still puts it on all the kids toys , so it can’t be bad 

I don’t think I’d want one.  Not even to try it.  It doesn’t interest me.  I don’t even know what’s in it or how the “burger’s” content is manipulated to mimic a beef burger.

Besides, any differences in calories is minimal really, and is inconsequential.  And, man is a prey animal, like a wolf or a cat, or other predator.  Meat is good for us.

Cat Brules

I noticed that, as is fairly normal, this has gone off track.

The question was not "would you eat one".

The question was, "if you were going to eat one, would you pay more for it".

I tried one of those impossible meat Whoppers today.  I had not paid much attention to the cost compared to a regular burger - had a wild hair and figured I'd give it a go.  In the future I would not even pay LESS to eat one.  In fact - just to see what they do - the next time I might get one and ask them to add bacon.

...to smother the taste.

Truth be told - I think they messed up my order and brought me a burger made from Clown-Meat - because it sure tasted funny.

When I lived in Saudi Arabia we had most of our meat that was ground come as a 50/50 meat/soy .  At first it tasted UGH.  After a couple of years I really didn't notice.  Then we came back to the US.  Ground beef - the real deal, smelled horrible and tasted horrible.  But, after a year or so, you could hardly notice.  I think it is a case of what you are used to eating - tastes adjust a lot.  I occasionally buy a BK - fake burger.  Morning star isn't bad either.  Ketchup Cheese Onions (and bacon will make almost anything taste better (hot sauce also if available). :-)

OH - and yes - I would pay extra for a veggie burger - when I want one.

STL Suomi

NO!  :rolleyes:

Archived