SASS Wire Forum

adding a photo to private message

Dusty Boots

On 6/1/2020 at 11:25 AM, John Kloehr said:

Looks like you can if it is on a website, but not a local file on your computer.

That is correct.  That is something in the Invision software itself.  Pictures from your computer cannot be uploaded in a PM, but images from a website, or file sharing software can be linked.

1 hour ago, Eliphalet R. Moderator said:

That is correct.  That is something in the Invision software itself.  Pictures from your computer cannot be uploaded in a PM, but images from a website, or file sharing software can be linked.

I saw what a certain photo sharing website did some time ago, by ending free use and creating a subscription service for more bandwidth (since disk space is now cheap).

So I got a domain from my hosting ISP which will allow me to share pics without restrictions. Not that I want to name names or point fingers, but my domain is photokickthebucket.com.

But if there is demand for local images in PMs, put in an RFE (Request For Enhancement) to InVision. The ISP for this site probably has liberal storage allowance (since storage is now cheap) and it is easy to store server file pointers to graphics files (only a novice engineer would store the actual graphics in the database without a very good reason).

Putting in an RFE is pretty easy, just wait a year or two for developers to actually add the feature.

But for everyone else, if you already have hosting for your own web site, adding another domain for personal (but not private!) photo sharing is only about $10 a year.

52 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

put in an RFE (Request For Enhancement) to InVision. The ISP for this site probably has liberal storage allowance (since storage is now cheap) and it is easy to store server file pointers to graphics files (only a novice engineer would store the actual graphics in the database without a very good reason).

Done.  We'll see what the reply is.

32 minutes ago, Eliphalet R. Moderator said:

Done.  We'll see what the reply is.

I predict a nice form-letterish reply and then maybe it will be a new feature in a couple years. But if admins don't ever ask, it will never happen.

Archived