SASS Wire Forum

SpaceX Crew Dragon vs Boeing Starliner

Chief Rick

I swear, it''s like I am  a  kid again learning about all this cool  stuff.

Thanks Chief Rick. :D

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I swear, it''s like I am  a  kid again learning about all this cool  stuff.

Thanks Chief Rick. :D

I think it's really cool Starliner making a controlled landing on terra firma.  With that said, I don't know how I'd feel about being the first crew chosen to do it as a manned flight/mission.

The original concept for Crew Dragon was to land on land, like Soyuz and Boeing Starliner.  NASA INSISTED that SpaceX go for water landing.  I suppose it may be possible for SpaceX to go back to surface landing, if given permission, or if they go with their own astronauts/passengers.  Obviously, Boeing got a special permission, but they haven't qualified for passengers yet.  They will have to refly their first attempt, including docking and recovery, unmanned, before carrying passengers for NASA.

I do NOT want to sound like the eternal pessimist, but how well SpaceX does depends on "cold soaking" the spacecraft attached to the space station, undocking and reentering and landing successfully sometime between a month and three months from now.  (How long the crew will be on board the ISS will, undoubtedly depend on periodic checking of the Crew Dragon systems during exposure to the ambient conditions attached to the station.) 

As an old acid-on-the-hands rocket engineer I wish them and SpaceX all the best and Godspeed! But I am a devout follower of Capt. Murphy, USAF.  Hopefully, his spirit is NOWHERE in the vicinity!

Stay well, Pards! 

20 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

NASA INSISTED that SpaceX go for water landing. 

This is not what the video I linked above stated.

Not saying you're wrong or the video is right, but I'd be interested to see something where NASA told them to do it one way.

2 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

This is not what the video I linked above stated.

Not saying you're wrong or the video is right, but I'd be interested to see something where NASA told them to do it one way.

I'm not sure I can give you a direct link, but SpaceX's website or Space.com or even NASA.gov may give that information.  I only know that that is what NASA is calling for.  Not to say that SpaceX might revert to the original concept when flying non-NASA people.  The Crew Dragon (Endeavor-class now) could be easily configured to do so because the SuperDraco engines built into its base are the emergency escape rocket engines for the spacecraft.  I don't know if they are throttleable or not, but if the propellants on board are not needed for emergency use or for retro-fire to deorbit the spacecraft, they could no doubt be used for terminal cushioning after the craft comes down to low altitude under the parachutes.

Stay well, Pard!

Ad LEO! AD LUNA! Ad Ares! AD ASTRA!

While I sure am glad that SpaceX and Boeing took up the task........for the record, I wouldn't trust Boeing software to take me anywhere safely......let alone space. The arrogance and defiance demonstrated throughout the Max incidences, which still continues today, shows me that Boeing relies on past stature versus today's needs.

Archived