SASS Wire Forum

Lightning Revolver

Sawhorse Kid

1877 Colt Lightning ( 1902 ) .38 cal

Cimarron Lightning ( 2020 ) .38 cal

Very nice representation: 

Cimarron 

Cylinder, Frame and Grip slightly longer.

Frame and barrel bit thicker.

Action difference is obvious. 

Hammer shape is scaled down 1873.

Weight is slightly heavier.

IMG_1752.JPG

IMG_1753.JPG

IMG_1755.JPG

IMG_1757.JPG

IMG_1758.JPG

IMG_1761.JPG

I had an original nickeled lightning on 38 long colt. I traded it on a deal for a Colt 44-40. While I had it I ran two boxes of Goex  black powder cartridges through it with no problems.  Colt made them from  1877 until 1909, making a total of almost 167,000!  Lots of famous shooters preferred them. The action was complicated but just like everything else if you take care of them they will take care of you 

Colt only made  192,000 Colt single action between 1873 and 1900, which is when they were certified for smoke less powder. If you deduct the military orders you will see the Lightning was more popular with the public

8 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

I had an original nickeled lightning on 38 long colt. I traded it on a deal for a Colt 44-40. While I had it I ran two boxes of Goex  black powder cartridges through it with no problems.  Colt made them from  1877 until 1909, making a total of almost 167,000!  Lots of famous shooters preferred them. The action was complicated but just like everything else if you take care of them they will take care of you 

I have a friend who does gunsmithing on antique firearms, especially Remington O/U Double Derringers and others.  But when I want to kid him, I just threaten to send him a boxcar load of M1877's "that just need a little work"!  He generally lets out a shriek! :lol:

Archived