SASS Wire Forum

Beast Bullet Puller?

Deacon Doug

Have a bad batch of reloads and broke an impact bullet puller halfway thru the job. Any suggestions for other tools or am I stuck with impact pullers?

Thanks in advance,

Deacon Doug

ive broken three - tried a bunch , no recommendations short of the RCBS have stood up best for me , they all need the rebound at impact to facilitate the pull and im not sure there is anything that would work better than the plastic but if you find one let us all know - i pull a lot of bullets , 

Hornady Cam Lock bullet puller, I pulled hundreds of rounds, it works great. Just get the right size collet for the bullets you are going to pull. I've pulled rifle and pistol bullets no problem.

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/presses/lock-n-load-accessories/bullet-pullers-bullet-collets/#!/

TB

Hornady has a disclaimer about non-jacketed bullets. Do you have any problems with lead bullets?

DD

Part of the trick with impact pullers is to not hold them too tight. It is not a hammer! Use on the end grain of a hardwood block and sort of limp wrist it! Put a cleaning patch in the bottom to help in not damaging the bullets. Also, use a shell holder in the top instead of the lame o-ring gizzy.

Deacon Doug,

A few years back I had the same problem. I bought an RCBS collet style and mounted it on a 650 tool head, it worked great, I don't recall any lead being damaged in the process. I'll put it and the tool head and puller in the mail if you care to barrow it. I have .38. .44 and .45 collets for it.

Tully

1 minute ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Pulling bullets is too much like work.  I found an easier solution.  I throw them away.  Costs me a .12 per bullet discarded and saves me a lot of aggravation.

How does one safely throw bullets away? Live rounds in a landfill doesn't seem like a good idea.

I’ve had good success with the RCBS collet puller, but have not tried it with lead bullets. 

11 hours ago, Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118 said:

Hornady Cam Lock bullet puller, I pulled hundreds of rounds, it works great. Just get the right size collet for the bullets you are going to pull. I've pulled rifle and pistol bullets no problem.

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/presses/lock-n-load-accessories/bullet-pullers-bullet-collets/#!/

TB

TB, the Hornady website above states that the Cam Lock is intended for rifle bullets only.  How does it work on pistol caliber bullets?  Any problems?

For the Hornaday cam lock bullet puller, what collets would you use for 9mm, .38 special, and .45 acp?

Here is a video I made a few years back about pulling bullets the easy way.  The method works well for jacket or lead bullets.

Kajun

4 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Pulling bullets is too much like work.  I found an easier solution.  I throw them away.  Costs me a .12 per bullet discarded and saves me a lot of aggravation.

Yep. I had some 44 special that were suspect as I was getting 3 or 4 out of 10 that were low or no powder. I tracked the problem to the little square white plastic thing that rides in the slot on the Dillon powder measure having popped out. I had planned on throwing them in the creek here by the house but another fellow I shot with said he would take them and break them down to salvage what he could. I made sure he knew the situation and what the components were. Life's too short!

Here is the chart based upon your bullet diameters, there is an adjustment in the cam lock to open or close to grab the bullet you are pulling

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 11.24.02 AM.png

5 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

How does one safely throw bullets away? Live rounds in a landfill doesn't seem like a good idea.

They're actually sitting in a small box in the back of my closet accumulating.  When I get enough to be worth the trouble I'll have to figure something out.  I bet if I bring them to a cowboy match someone will take them, fully aware that there may or may not be something wrong with them.

On 6/1/2020 at 10:16 AM, Krazy Kajun said:

Here is a video I made a few years back about pulling bullets the easy way.  The method works well for jacket or lead bullets.

Kajun

This is the ticket it took a little experimenting with different pliers ended up with diagonal cutters. If the crimp groove is exposed it's a piece of cake. Some (lead bullets) where boogered-up I'll just use those for pistol practice. This is a great time saving method and no more whacking the heck out of them. 

Hells Comin 

I've pulled hundreds with my 40-something RCBS inertia impact puller.   Eyesa Horg has the technique right.   Hit the end square on.  I just use the concrete floor of ny shop.

On 6/1/2020 at 8:30 AM, Tyrel Cody said:

Turn them into your local Sheriff's Dept as found hazardous materials.  Call ahead for insstructions.

I had one of the first versions of these put out by some Texas company many years ago when they were made from wood.  My version was made for cracking pecans and used rubber bands for power.  Not sure why the problem with questionable rounds went away but after a year or so I almost never had to pull bullets anymore in quantity??

My grandfather used to say "I wish the man that invented plastic had it stuck up his...well, you know where."  Plastic breaks.  I have broken 3 of the impact pullers over the years.  Last time I broke one I ordered 2 replacements, so I have a replacement when either one of them breaks.  I have a collet puller & have tried Kajun's method - neither one works as well for me as the hammer knocker.  I am just resigned to them.

Holler

On 6/1/2020 at 5:42 AM, Eyesa Horg said:

Part of the trick with impact pullers is to not hold them too tight. It is not a hammer! Use on the end grain of a hardwood block and sort of limp wrist it! Put a cleaning patch in the bottom to help in not damaging the bullets. Also, use a shell holder in the top instead of the lame o-ring gizzy.

Good idea with the shell holder.  I've done that myself.  Just make sure that the cartridge you're trying to disassemble does not have a high primer.  It may come in contact with the edge of the hole in the shell holder and you may end up with a bad accident.

When using kinetic bullet pullers do not grip the handle like you would if you were using a hammer to drive a nail.

The trick is to not use a death grip but to loosely hold the handle so that when the head impacts a surface it can rebound. Next strike it on a firm, smooth surface. Smooth concrete or a heavy steel plate works well. Soft wood like a 2X4 or a piece of plywood does not. Use care striking it on your loading bench top. I have dented more than 1 piece of Formica counter top with one.

I use a shell holder in place of the 3 piece rubber band collect to hold the cartridge. However inspect it after every use. Pulling heavily crimped bullets I have managed to break 2 shell holders.

and broke an impact bullet puller halfway thru the job

Take a picture of the broken puller - put it in an email and the vendor will send you a new one

I've used 3 bullet pullers in the past 40 years.  The first was a wood handled one and lasted about 20 years as I wasn't pulling a lot of bullets - only loading maybe a 600 rounds a year.  The second was all plastic and lasted about 3 years - loading perhaps 5000 rounds a year.  The last has lasted more than 15 years as it has a metal shaft - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012714588?pid=215517

I tend to hit my anvil and use a limp wrist and not too hard - usually 3 swings does the job. 

Guess I am just lucky. I have been using an old Frankford Arsenal blue bullet puller for over 10 years. It don't see a ton of action but I have never had a problem with it. I was hitting it on wood for a while but it was denting up my workbench and was taking way too many hits so I started hitting it on the anvil of my bench vise. That only takes a couple medium hits and its out. I don't hold it too tight. I let it rebound and the bullet is out usually within 3 hits. 

Archived