Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Santa Rosa Slinger

iTarget Laser Firearm Training System

Recommended Posts

I came across this gadget at a gun show today. I originally heard about the product several months ago, but had one big question left unanswered about it which dissuaded me from ordering one. I ultimately bit the bullet, brought a kit home, and put together a short demonstration to answer the question for anybody else who was curious!

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use shoot off laser training software, it’s FREE and uses webcam to pick up laser shots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spend the money on ammo & go to the range ....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doc Slinger goes to the range plenty, we started at the same time last December , he is near the top of the results these days, I just suck...:D

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you can't use your rifle at match speeds?  $99 for the package and $59 for each additional bullet?  So if I want to practice firing 10 round pistol strings, like a match requires, I'm looking at over $600 bucks?

 

Still might be good for practicing first shots, but not anything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the barrel mounted lasers may be superior for pistols, though the SA cocking may activate them— I do not have personal experience with them though.

For rifle I was thinking use a phone and a secondary (or third- as the app is just a download) iPad or something with wide sweeps so each individual setup has time.  Laser module still might be too slow (too long of an on time) though who knows.

 

Im interested in stuff like this because I’d like to get into some old school camp perry bullseye but don’t want to plunk down 2k on an  accurized M9 or 1911 and find out I’m garbage or bored :)  

 

plus us lots of stuff can be done with this type of setup, draw to first shot spilts etc.

 

nor is this stuff about the money or lack of training ammo for many of us, it’s the time— would love to be able to go to the range daily but can’t, so 10 minutes of dry fire at home is better than a zero day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have to try and do a bit of searching BUT I remember seeing a system that really caught my eye around a year or so back.  Not for sure but I think the place was something like glockshop.com and they might have had a brick and mortar store out in California????  It was only half of the equation though,  it supplied targets but the laser ammunition rounds for revolver/rifle/shotgun  would be lotsa extra money.  But the guy doing the selling sure made it look interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might want to look into the MantisX system. I know some 3gun shooters who have them and the LIKE them a lot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

You might want to look into the MantisX system. I know some 3gun shooters who have them and the LIKE them a lot.

This might be just the thing, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2020 at 11:50 AM, Captain Bill Burt said:

So you can't use your rifle at match speeds?  $99 for the package and $59 for each additional bullet?  So if I want to practice firing 10 round pistol strings, like a match requires, I'm looking at over $600 bucks?

 

Still might be good for practicing first shots, but not anything else.

 

I agree; even considering the generous discount that I got from the guy selling them at the gun show ($93.50 for the target kit and two .38spl cartridges), I would be hard-pressed to recommend buying several laser bullets at that price... especially since we can't practice at full speed! That said, I'm still a novice at cowboy action shooting so I honestly do find it useful to start working on my first shots, transitions, etc. at home during the week or on the weekends that I can't make it to a match or range.

 

As a fun aside: I used this kit while introducing some family and friends to my single action firearms, how to operate them, how to hit the target consistently, and the concept of cowboy action shooting and they enjoyed it. It even convinced my brother and father to come out to a match to check it out in person where (somewhat unsurprisingly) they were invited to try shooting a stage. They loved it, which already makes the kit worth it to me... but it'd be even better if they got hooked enough to start coming out to matches regularly too!

 

On 6/2/2020 at 12:03 PM, Dr Matt Lurse said:

One of the barrel mounted lasers may be superior for pistols, though the SA cocking may activate them— I do not have personal experience with them though.

For rifle I was thinking use a phone and a secondary (or third- as the app is just a download) iPad or something with wide sweeps so each individual setup has time.  Laser module still might be too slow (too long of an on time) though who knows.

 

Im interested in stuff like this because I’d like to get into some old school camp perry bullseye but don’t want to plunk down 2k on an  accurized M9 or 1911 and find out I’m garbage or bored :)  

 

plus us lots of stuff can be done with this type of setup, draw to first shot spilts etc.

 

nor is this stuff about the money or lack of training ammo for many of us, it’s the time— would love to be able to go to the range daily but can’t, so 10 minutes of dry fire at home is better than a zero day.

 

I've heard from others who tried the barrel-mounted lasers in their single-action pistols and they mentioned that the sound of the hammer would activate them.

 

That's a neat idea with using several devices and several targets to practice sweeps! I don't currently have the resources (specifically space) to set that up, but it should work in theory. One caveat: Unfortunately, at least in my Uberti 1873 rifle, the laser stays on as long as the hammer is down since it applies pressure on the firing pin extension, bolt, and pin which activates the laser. You'd likely lever fast enough to re-cock the hammer and deactivate the laser anyway, but it's possible to get several false "hits" on the target if you don't. I don't have this issue when using my New Vaqueros; the laser comes on for only a split-second.

 

Edit 8/9/2020: Disregard the caveat I mentioned above. I ended up replacing my firing pin spring which was defective and allowed the firing pin to protrude past the bolt face — both at rest and when the hammer was down — which is why the laser remained activated constantly after pulling the trigger. It now only comes on for a split-second, just as intended and like in the pistols.

Edited by Santa Rosa Slinger
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.