SASS Wire Forum

Fill My Toolbox

John Kloehr

First job, smoothing a trigger. Just need to polish it a bit. Looking to the future, I will be reloading and will do more of my own work as time goes on. So getting tools is a long-term investment for me.

So, what are good stones that will not rapidly wear?

Probably need to drive out and insert some roll pins. Which punches will not easily shatter or bend?

And a hammer that won't have the nylon end fall off or have the whole head get loose on the handle?

And dammit, I'm tired of "machinist" screwdrivers that are curved all the way to the tip. Who makes drivers which actually have parallel surfaces?

And not priced like pure unobtanium, just really solid good tools that can last a couple decades. Are Walkers any good?

No problem with a getting a good Mitutoyo caliper, if appropriate.

Give me recommendations to fill my toolbox.

Just bought a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge.

Likes (hearts) given for every suggestion, trophies for the tools I actually buy. And anyone suggesting anything from Harbor Freight will probably get an LOL.

4 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

5 pages just of roll punches, from various manufacturers. Looking for more specific recommendations. Just specific tools that do not suck, or are made of pure unobtanium.

39 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

5 pages just of roll punches, from various manufacturers. Looking for more specific recommendations. Just specific tools that do not suck, or are made of pure unobtanium.

Not knowing specifically what you want, except screwdrivers. Get the ones by Grace. None better for guns.

And I would suggest a phone call to Brownells to tell them what you are looking to do. Very good folks to do business with. extremely knowledgeable.

10 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Harbor Freight for wad punches.  :)

Would not hold an edge on resharpening. I was punching leather and canvas.

I'm not against Harbor Freight, I have a bunch of tools from them. They worked for what I bought them for when I bought them for a single job, and some even worked a second time.

An example: I've bought their router bits when i needed 10' routed of a profile I'll probably never use again, but never got 400' out of one. Quality tools last longer, like 10 times longer.

Lots of folks use the Brownells Magnatip drivers.  I don't personally, I have a few odd bits but kind of prefer separate screwdrivers (and I like the Grace set mentioned by Goody for SAA's).  But if you go the driver / tip route, here is a list of useful tips I saved from John Boy a few years back:

Ruger Single Action:
150-4 *
180-3 *
180-4
210-4 *

Rossi 92:
150-4 *
180-3 *
180-5
210-4 *
270-4
300-5
340-5

* Duplicated in above two sets

Colt/clone SAA set:
340-3
300-3
270-3
210-3
180-3

Marlin 336 set:
300-4
270-3
200-3
180-4
180-3
120-3

Tip sizes for '73 Winchester
180-4
210-3
240-3
240-4
330-3 Added: Magazine Plug
340-4
340-6 butt Plate

Tip sizes for Marlin 94
180-4
210-4
270-4
270-5

Yes, Brownells is the place To get your tools.

Hammer?  Get a relatively small mallet, yellow plastic one side, brass on the other.
          Also get a small 2-ounce ball-pein (machinist’s) hammer

Bownells sells sets of punches; start off with the small ones.

Screwdrivers?  Get a decent set of gunsmith screwdrivers from Brownells

I think it is too late to order the Brownell’s catalog. I am not sure when they print the new ones but I don’t think you can get the current catalog anymore.  They do have all their catalog items online.   TIP:  Never throw away an old Brownells catalog.

Cat Brules

• 2 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 8:48 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Lots of folks use the Brownells Magnatip drivers.  I don't personally, I have a few odd bits but kind of prefer separate screwdrivers (and I like the Grace set mentioned by Goody for SAA's).  But if you go the driver / tip route, here is a list of useful tips I saved from John Boy a few years back:

Ruger Single Action:
150-4 *
180-3 *
180-4
210-4 *

Rossi 92:
150-4 *
180-3 *
180-5
210-4 *
270-4
300-5
340-5

* Duplicated in above two sets

Colt/clone SAA set:
340-3
300-3
270-3
210-3
180-3

Marlin 336 set:
300-4
270-3
200-3
180-4
180-3
120-3

Tip sizes for '73 Winchester
180-4
210-3
240-3
240-4
330-3 Added: Magazine Plug
340-4
340-6 butt Plate

Tip sizes for Marlin 94
180-4
210-4
270-4
270-5

Howdy, Abilene, and everyone else,

Too hot to work outside (101 in Houston today), so I'm looking to do some gunsmithing. Might even clean them.

I know the numbers for the tips refer to the thickness and width, but what exactly do they mean?

Thanks,

Brazos

I think y'all were even hotter than we were today.

But being in the Hill Country automatically makes things cooler.

1 hour ago, Brazos John said:

Howdy, Abilene, and everyone else,

I know the numbers for the tips refer to the thickness and width, but what exactly do they mean?

Thanks,

Brazos

I think y'all were even hotter than we were today.

But being in the Hill Country automatically makes things cooler.

Howdy John, I will have to defer to "everyone else" to answer the question.  

Yes, it was a scorcher today but the Tejas Caballeros is on a hill and there is almost always a breeze, plus all stages today were in the shade.

BTW, earlier I mentioned I like separate screwdrivers.  I will say that the Brownells #5 is my favorite one for Colt-style guns, and is the only screwdriver in my small guncart.

2 hours ago, Brazos John said:

Take a 240-1 bit.   It's 240 thousandths inch wide.   And the thickness numbers are about:

1 = 20 thou

2= 25 thou

3= 30 thou

4= 35 thou

5= 40 thou

Don't have a 6 but I'd guess its 45 thou

The English sets from Brownells run in the 1, 2 and 3 thicknesses.

American guns more often use 3, 4 and 5

I find I need the english/euro bits as often as the American.

Good luck, GJ

2 hours ago, Castalia,SASS#18915 said:

Don't forget a gunsmiths"best friend" the Dremel Tool. Castalia

My gunsmith said guys like me are why they need to require permits for Dremels...:(

Archived