SASS Wire Forum

Going for theMail

Kind of a slow day at the Badger spread, so I went back in time, when my partner, Captain Jack and myself,  would go after the mail, when it was delivered. Captain Jack was a black Lab/Border collie mix, and Lord only knows what I am. Anyway, Jack had a stick that he always carried with him

on our journey. Peculiar thing though, about half way to the mail box, Jack would drop the stick next to the roadway, and mark it so he could find it on his way back. Well, marking the trail didn't workout too well, because there would be several sticks that were similar and Jack couldn't tell the difference until he got home and examined it. Then he would abandon the fake stick and I had to find him a new one. So one day I took a piece of doweling that was about 1" stock, and whacked off a chunk about 12" long. That stick was his and he cherished it. He would lie in the sun with the stick in the grass next to him, and dream doggie dreams. When I would tell him it was time to get the mail, he would be frantic until he located his stick. Once found, he would grasp it firmly and prance down the road like a potentate, head and tail high. Half way down the lane, drop the stick, mark it, and on to the mail box. Everything was wonderful until one day when he went to mark the spot, his aim was off and he hit the stick full on.

On the way back, he went to retrieved his stick and somebody had fouled it. So he abandoned it and proceeded homeward with head and tail down. I had to retrieve it and wash it off. When I offered it to him, he sniffed it, sniffed again, accepted and proceeded to take it back to his grassy spot

and tenderly put it in  the grass, ready for the next trip. 

I MISS THAT CRITTER. 

DSCF0054.JPG

Had Harley, our first Dalmatian.  He was really smart and ALWAYS wanted to ride in the car or truck. You couldn’t mention the vehicles or going somewhere but that he was already at the door waiting!! You couldn’t even spell “go for a ride”!!

I often miss him still when I am traveling alone.

Our newspaper delivery guy would stop his car at our house and throw the paper into the drive.  He'd wait a moment to watch Lizzie run out the door, pick up the paper, and race back to the house.  The newspaper delivery guy always got a big kick out of watching Lizzie get the paper.

Badger, I too miss my Lizzie Girl.

bv8a0w.jpg

Can’t talk about this

Dang, BMC.

Why is such a cool story so hard to read?

:mellow:

I wish all pet owners were like you.

Summer, my first lab, learned to fetch the newspaper early on.  When she got too old, her son Bandit took over.

One Halloween the dogs were helping me pass out treats.  One youngster told his friends: "That's Bandit.  Every morning he comes out and picks up the newspaper. Then he looks up the street and down the street and then takes it inside."  Summer and Bandit were also  first class retrievers of ducks, quail and doves.  

I sure miss them.  Every Day.

Duffield

13 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Dang, BMC.

Why is such a cool story so hard to read?

:mellow:

I wish all pet owners were like you.

J-Bar, just 'cause ole Jack was such a great partner. He was a rescue dog, found wandering the streets of Everett, Washington. 

We had had several dogs, all dearly loved, but were between. The girls were grown and had left  the nest, and Gloria was left with just me. So I am sitting on the floor, leaning against the hearth seat, watching the idiot box. Gloria was doing something girly in her chair, and she suddenly announces, " We need a dog! " Where did that come from, I thought? So the next day, off to P.A.W.S. we go. She had shopped on line and found one she was interested in looking over. It was a small lap type dog.  

Well the pup in question showed no interest and was busy playing as pups will do. So she decided to look further. Being at loose ends, I walked around the corner, and there he was, lying in the corner of his pen in abject misery. Seems he had recently been nuetered, had kennel cough and was in a bad way. He looked up at me with hope in his eye. There was another couple looking at him also. The man said " What about this one? " She replied, " He is awfully big! " and they moved on.  I called Gloria over and we had the same conversation. Meanwhile ole Jack got up and walked over to the wire and LOOKED INTO MY SOUL! Well, we did the paper work, and ole Jack had a bounce in his step as we went to the car. No way I was leaving without him.

Sounds like the story of our current newest four legged cutie. We had just lost a smooth dachsy unexpectedly and were hurting. Wife went the county pound following a tip on a dog coming in. When she got there, it hadn't came in. She happened to spot this little shaggy girl with one ear up and one down. She hadn't been there but one day, and was somewhat terrified at 7 months old. That look spoke to her and she took her in . She's a real sweetie play girl and turned out to be a Daddy's girl. She does have some faults, but is a good girl anyway:blush:

Here is our current killer dog, Sally.  She thinks she could whip a coyote.  But, all the humans in the world were created for her personal enjoyment and they come to her house just to see and play with her. 

Actually, she's a really sweet, well behaved dog.  And, so-o-o-o mistreated.

Here's Sally!!!

86e4EF.jpg

u3XGtw.jpg

On Momma's lap being so-o-o-o mistreated...

Zgi600.jpg

I have rescued two dogs and one cat.  First was Gretchen, a beagle-terrier mix.  She was with us 19 years and was my son's comfort through a lot of stress and turmoil.  Next was Sweet Pea, a Siamese that had ben left at the pound because her owner had married and wife and cat did not get along.  She lasted 21 years and slept curled around my head.  Last rescue was Fred, a Weimaraner that had been left at the pound because he could not walk.  He hobbled across his pen to me, our eyes met and I was hooked.  They tried to talk me out of adopting him.  My vet checked his hips and said he had weak muscles and stretched tendons, probably from being kept in a crate all the time.  He lasted ten years until the deformed spine caused him to loose control of his legs..  All of them added to my life more than i ever deserved.

Duffield

My Tags was a border collie who, as I have many times stated, herded cats.  She also stole kittens whenever she could and took them to her doghouse and mothered them until the Mama cat came home & discovered them missing.  But her real job was to be with me, whenever and wherever.  She was hit by a car right in front of me when I was 11.  I will miss her until I die.

Bonnie Boy, Perky, Tippy, Mugsy. Joannie.

All different, all lovable  and all unique.

Archived