SASS Wire Forum

Locked up '73

Colonel Kraken

I've got a Taylor and Company (uberti) 1873 that I've shot at roughly twelve matches so far. It hasn't had any work done to it. On the last stage of a Wild Bunch match yesterday I/the rifle failed to extract the spent round and lifted a live round on the lifter causing the rifle to jam up good fashion - it took about a half hour and three hands to get it out. So is this just something that happens (ex: user error)? Is there any modification I can do to insure it won't happen again? The rim on the cartridge in the chamber looked okay. There was some carbon built up on the extractor. Thanks

You might look at the case manufacturer on the cases.

You will find that the rim groove is different from case to case.

Some have wider grooves.

Some have deeper grooves.

Some have both.

As an 18 year  commercial reloader for cas, I found that Starline has the best groove for width and depth.

It functions most reliable with rifle extractors.

Also in the 1860, 1866 and 1873, besure to clean behind the extractors and the recease for the extractor in the receivers.

A little dirt in the extractor recease will hold the extractor out away from the receiver and jump over the case rim.

Have you done a good cleaning?  If not I'd break it down to parade rest and clean and re-lube everything including extractor, carrier and lifting arm.  Clean the extractor with an old toothbrush or similar brush to get into the groove.

36 minutes ago, Colonel Kraken said:

I've got a Taylor and Company (uberti) 1873 that I've shot at roughly twelve matches so far. It hasn't had any work done to it. On the last stage of a Wild Bunch match yesterday I/the rifle failed to extract the spent round and lifted a live round on the lifter causing the rifle to jam up good fashion - it took about a half hour and three hands to get it out. So is this just something that happens (ex: user error)? Is there any modification I can do to insure it won't happen again? The rim on the cartridge in the chamber looked okay. There was some carbon built up on the extractor. Thanks

Is it a Commanchero? I have one that’s the rifle from hell! It was a “race ready” rifle. Nothing but problems!! I had to get a short stroke kit and new lever because the cut and weld didn’t work. I sent it back and no difference! 

23 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Is it a Commanchero?

No, and I probably have five thousand rounds through it without any real problems. I don't have anything bad to say about the gun except for it leaving me on the side of the road this one time.

37 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

As an 18 yea  commercial reloader for cas, I found that Starline has the best groove for width and depth.

It functions most reliable with rifle extractors.

Probably 80% of my brass is starline. I'm not sure what the one that was that failed to extract was. I looked at the rim to make sure it wasn't obviously damaged but didn't think to pay attention to the headstamp. I think keeping it cleaner will be my first step including annealing the brass. I forgot to mention that it fired .45 Colt.

If it has only had 12 matches or about 700 rounds it is very likely it is not dirt.  Uberti rifles out of the factory need work done and the extractor is not an exception.  The fore and aft clearance may be tight or clearance to the barrel may be holding it up not allowing it to snap over the case.  The chamber could need work, or other things, so, it is hard to determine exactly what the problem is without seeing it.  

32 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Have you done a good cleaning?  If not I'd break it down to parade rest and clean and re-lube everything including extractor, carrier and lifting arm.  Clean the extractor with an old toothbrush or similar brush to get into the groove.

I think that might be some of the issue. It's a .45 Colt. I have been thinking of annealing the brass too to keep it from getting so much blow back.

9 minutes ago, Colonel Kraken said:

No, and I probably have five thousand rounds through it without any real problems. I don't have anything bad to say about the gun except for it leaving me on the side of the road this one time.

Have you removed and cleaned under the extractor. Gunk gets under there and prevents full engagement of the case rim. Especially in 45 Colt. 

Aw! 45 Colt brass other than Starline has the narrowest and shallowest grooves.

It you watch the extractor drop in the groove, you may find that the extractor only drops about half way down in th groove.

I shoot a 1860 Henry and this is when I discovered the small groove issue.

If I can't make my own guns work, how can I reload for others and make it work.

14 minutes ago, Colonel Kraken said:

I missed the 5000, then it could be dirt.

Either a weak extractor or lot of crud under the leg (springy section) of the extractor.    Pull up with finger tip when the bolt is half open.   Should start to hurt your finger tip as the extractor nose rises up to the top surface of bolt.     If weaker than that, replace extractor.    At 5000 rounds through gun, most folks would have replaced the extractor once.

If tension is good, then look at the extractor's position on the rim of a chambered dummy round or an empty case.  Should be fully down on the case rim.  If the extractor won't close down on the rim, check that the nose of the extractor is not causing the extractor to lift up off the rim on the last 1/8" of closing.  If THAT happens, the nose needs to be trimmed so the nose fits into the extraction slot cut in the breech of barrel (or crud cleaned out of the cut).  

If the extractor won't EVER get low enough to hold the rim (regardless of whether bolt face is closed to breech or opened back away from breech), then the cut in the bolt that extractor fits in is full of crud, most likely. 

If you had a split case that caused the stick, it's kinda common for the extractor to not be able to extract the case.  

To remove the round that is in the carrier when this happens,  open action enough to be able to push the carrier down to the bottom of it's stroke.  Tip gun muzzle up at about 60 degrees and rotate to right so the loading gate is mostly below the receiver.  Hold that position, and push loading gate open and jiggle until the rim falls out through the loading port.

Good luck, GJ

Sloppy, factory action can cause this.

Be sure to work the action firmly and decisively, with no hesitation in mid stroke.

Cat Brules

There are two slots in the front of the chamber; the top one is for the extractor to fit into, the bottom one is for the cartridge tab.  Both of those have to be cleaned thoroughly.  If the top slot is dirty it may prevent the extractor from fully seating and clipping onto the cartridge rim. 

2 hours ago, Colonel Kraken said:

I think that might be some of the issue. It's a .45 Colt. I have been thinking of annealing the brass too to keep it from getting so much blow back.

Colonel - PM me about annealing if you're interested.

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Either a weak extractor or lot of crud under the leg (springy section) of the extractor.    Pull up with finger tip when the bolt is half open.   Should start to hurt your finger tip as the extractor nose rises up to the top surface of bolt.     If weaker than that, replace extractor.    At 5000 rounds through gun, most folks would have replaced the extractor once.

If tension is good, then look at the extractor's position on the rim of a chambered dummy round or an empty case.  Should be fully down on the case rim.  If the extractor won't close down on the rim, check that the nose of the extractor is not causing the extractor to lift up off the rim on the last 1/8" of closing.  If THAT happens, the nose needs to be trimmed so the nose fits into the extraction slot cut in the breech of barrel (or crud cleaned out of the cut).  

If the extractor won't EVER get low enough to hold the rim (regardless of whether bolt face is closed to breech or opened back away from breech), then the cut in the bolt that extractor fits in is full of crud, most likely. 

If you had a split case that caused the stick, it's kinda common for the extractor to not be able to extract the case.  

To remove the round that is in the carrier when this happens,  open action enough to be able to push the carrier down to the bottom of it's stroke.  Tip gun muzzle up at about 60 degrees and rotate to right so the loading gate is mostly below the receiver.  Hold that position, and push loading gate open and jiggle until the rim falls out through the loading port.

Good luck, GJ

Good advice from GJ, he just helped me out with a problem I was having with my 73, it needed a new extractor !  SCJ

Check out the videos on YouTube or on Paulo verde website on how to clear this jam and other common 73 jams you’ll probably encounter.  He does a great job explaining how the jams happen and how to quickly clear them on he line, I had a split case that caused short ammo jam a couple weeks ago that I cleared on the line, cost me about 10 seconds (rather than 7 misses!)

Archived