SASS Wire Forum

Anyone rethinking getting an AR

On 5/31/2020 at 12:30 PM, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

I’m talking to all the Cowboys who said they would never own one or have any use for one.

No. Don’t do a thing for me. I suppose your referencing this rioting stuff. A man alone with a gun is ill prepared for an all out assault by an out of control mob.

In all seriousness,  I’d honestly get more satisfaction hacking up with an axe, and witnessing the terror and pain experienced by the SOB that threatens my wife or kids. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/31/2020 at 8:21 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

I'm considering the possibility that a belt fed shotgun may be in order.

A detachable box magazine shotgun with cylinder choke & 20 rounds magazines would be a good riot gun.

On 5/31/2020 at 9:20 AM, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

You might give a look at the PTR-91, basically a US made HK91. Uses German G3 mags and parts, easy to find and cheap at least last I looked. I like mine.

JHC

ptra3r-jpg-product-product-product-produ

My Christmas present to myself was the PTR 109 which has the Kriegsmarine polymer receiver.  The stock to receiver fit is so tight that I haven't figured out how to remove it without using vice & dead blow hammer to separate them.

3 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

No. Don’t do a thing for me. I suppose your referencing this rioting stuff. A man alone with a gun is ill prepared for an all out assault by an out of control mob.

In all seriousness,  I’d honestly get more satisfaction hacking up with an axe, and witnessing the terror and pain experienced by the SOB that threatens my wife or kids. 

It helps if you have a binary trigger & fifty loaded 30 round magazines.  As far as taking an ax to a gunfight ask the poor man in TXs who tried defending a business with a machete.  Korean business in LA successfully defend their business with firearms during the Rodney King riots.

On 5/31/2020 at 10:15 AM, Blackwater 53393 said:

How about an 835 Mossberg loaded with 3 1/2" #1 buckshot?!?!?

Have you ever fired a 3 1/2" 12 ga?  I have in a light recoiling Benelli SBE II.  3" 12 ga are mouse fart loads compared to 3 1/2" loads.

3 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

True, but a man alone with an AR is infinitely better prepared than a man alone without a gun.

On 5/31/2020 at 9:32 AM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Or something better for crowd control.

FC4CBD76-E160-4185-BD8A-45BC1833DC62.jpeg

Since there isn't a beehive projectile for the 155 I wonder what would happen if you only loaded the powder bags?  The muzzle blast (fireball full of burning powder bits is nasty if you are too close to the muzzle.  Bene there done that. 

34 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

It helps if you have a binary trigger & fifty loaded 30 round magazines.  As far as taking an ax to a gunfight ask the poor man in TXs who tried defending a business with a machete.  Korean business in LA successfully defend their business with firearms during the Rodney King riots.

Yes, but I got skills.

19 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

Have you ever fired a 3 1/2" 12 ga?  I have in a light recoiling Benelli SBE II.  3" 12 ga are mouse fart loads compared to 3 1/2" loads.

Yes!!  Damned sporty!! Gun is equipped with a collapsible, shock absorbing stock and a big butt pad!  Also has a 28” barrel and extended magazine. That helps eat up some of the recoil too!

Also have a tactical vest with shoulder pad.

23 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

True, but a man alone with an AR is infinitely better prepared than a man alone without a gun.

Yes. I agree. I choose different guns than AR. I prefer a shotgun.

5 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Yes!!  Damned sporty!! Gun is equipped with a collapsible, shock absorbing stock and a big butt pad!  Also has a 28” barrel and extended magazine. That helps eat up some of the recoil too!

Also have a tactical vest with shoulder pad.

The SBE II has a shock absorbing stock, a recoil pad that is like memory foam & an inertia operating system.  The inertia system by itself flattens the recoil impulse.  I except for cowboy action I always wear a Past pad under my shirt.  Firing 3 1/2" 12 ga rattles my teeth like no other firearm I have shot.

4 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I like my odds with a AR/AK or shotgun with a lot of ammo better than without. Drop the first couple they may just turn their attention to someone easier to victimize 

5 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I would prefer me with my AR AND you next to me with your shotgun!

I’d hate to be alone in a situation, for sure.

I have shot an AR. Did not care for it and could not hit the broadside of a barn with it.

I prefer a shotgun or my 44 mag lever gun.

I like a Marlin Camp 9, shot it at Black gold and did well with it. Sold it to a buddy and looking for a Camp 45 now.

I had a mini-14 Ruger for years, never shot it and traded it on a cowboy gun. I bought it when Clinton came in office and I thought is would never be able to get one. I don't miss it. I would buy a Ruger 44 mag carbine if you could get a bigger mag for it.

i have shot a lot of different firearms over the year, don't care for Ar's or Ak's, SKS was ok but got rid or the last one of those about 3 years ago and it had a blade bayonet on it. Couple of my friends have told me to get a M-14 in 308 or 7.62, and I am thinking about it.

I would just buy a Gatling gun from Dixie gun works but I don't have an extra $40,000 to spend on it.

Funny thing is, living in Illinois, it would be legal to own here.

just use your double barrel with 1 1/4 oz No 7.   I have carried a M16, M14 and shotgun in the military.  Love the shotgun. 

I'll turn this into a shotgun forum -  What barrel length and choke should I use with 00 buck when the looters decide to invade my WV subdivision? Will my trench gun serve as adequate backup? How many 15 round .40 S&W mags should I have ready for my Sub 2000? What's the best last stand handgun: a Glock 20 or a Glock 21? 

I think I have mentioned before that my wife has problems with her right hand.  We built this for her:

471987777_CACompliant.thumb.jpg.f15b2ae0ffe820ff6f60f2827e9cc996.jpg

This is the CA Compliant featureless version.  She was OK with the pistol grip, but this is harder on her hand and wrist.  Also, the red dot sight is not quick to bring into play - remove the covers, turn it on, set the brightness.  So a week ago I ordered offset sights

Rapid Transition 45 Degree Offset Sights Picatinny

so if she needs to bring it to action quickly she ahs the open sights.  Bonus is that the 45 degree angle puts her hand at a more natural angle and so makes it easier for her to hold.  Need to get to the range to sight it in.

On 6/1/2020 at 8:14 PM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Nope. Would rather put the money toward something else that’s fun. If current events are a justification for getting one, I don’t think my possession of one will enhance my safety. My current inventory is still efficient and effective   

I think an AR is a helluva lot of fun if you have enough ammo. But to each his own.

JHC ;)

I think an AR loaded with expanding varmint rounds and a bunch of mags would be of great benefit against a group of scumbags. I would prefer an M1-A but I don’t have one. 

11 hours ago, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

I'll turn this into a shotgun forum -  What barrel length and choke should I use with 00 buck when the looters decide to invade my WV subdivision? Will my trench gun serve as adequate backup? How many 15 round .40 S&W mags should I have ready for my Sub 2000? What's the best last stand handgun: a Glock 20 or a Glock 21? 

Federal Flite Control 00 8 pellet 12 gauge buck. Probably the best accuracy and controlled/tightest pattern 00 buck available for a shotgun.

Glock 20 or Glock 21 are both good problem solvers. ;)

Archived