SASS Wire Forum

Anyone rethinking getting an AR

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have one. Debating on taking it for a ride tomorrow. I work near LAX, Los Angeles Airport. 

Be careful. They’re using flaming skateboards. :lol:

F17532CB-8E4E-4F30-8923-9D0B0AAEA165.jpeg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I rethinking an AR? No, not at all. At least not specifically. But I AM thinking about firearms in general. Lots of them.

:D

29 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Slowly accumulating parts, could assemble the lowers. But have found from shooting others I don't like the rear sight. When I finish them -- and I will finish them -- I might outfit at least one with a scope.

Try a Red Dot sight. I installed a Sig Sauer “Romeo 5” on my AR and my PC Carbine. Very nice and tough but inexpensive sight. 

The answer to the question is yes! I’ve been thinking about one for awhile. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Try a Red Dot sight. I installed a Sig Sauer “Romeo 5” on my AR and my PC Carbine. Very nice and tough but inexpensive sight. 

Red dots are not a good choice if you have a astigmatism. 

OLG 

15 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Red dots are not a good choice if you have a astigmatism. 

OLG 

I did not know that. Thanks. 

I'm far enough from a major city that I don't really expect trouble.  On the other hand, I am glad I just bought 600 rounds of brand new 30-06, especially after finding out my Greek surplus 30-06 would not reliably cycle action on the Garand.

I have an AR-15 bought during the 1994 AWB that was ban compliant, (basically no bayonet lug).  My brain says the AR is an accurate and reliable rifle.  My  gut would rather have the Garand.

Most magazine fed semi-auto center fire rifles are now banned in the People's Republic of Connecticut.  Off the top of my head, only the M1A w/o flash suppressor, Ruger Mini-14/30 and the Ruger PC series are still legal to buy and those can only have 10 round magazines.

Garand's,  AR's & shotguns, oh my!

AR-15 with 12X scope and suppressor     

AR-15 with holographic site

AR-15 with iron sites

AK-47

Mini-14

Case of Pmags and 3 cases of ammo.

All this I lost in a tragic boating accident.

HK-91 and 2 M1A1 super match  thank you Uncle Bud 

does S&W Mp15 -22 count ??

In CA Ars have flag handle   but M1A1 is just fine with 10 round mag

39 minutes ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

ONE??

I have 3 and an AK!

I have had 5 ARs. Don’t like AKs. They just don’t fit me. 

I actually like the AKs better because the drum mags for them work more reliably!!

Modern furniture makes ‘em MUCH better!!

2 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

AR-15 with 12X scope and suppressor     

AR-15 with holographic site

AR-15 with iron sites

AK-47

Mini-14

Case of Pmags and 3 cases of ammo.

All this I lost in a tragic boating accident.

Where were you, the Mekong Delta?

13 hours ago, Chantry said:

I'm far enough from a major city that I don't really expect trouble.  On the other hand, I am glad I just bought 600 rounds of brand new 30-06, especially after finding out my Greek surplus 30-06 would not reliably cycle action on the Garand.

I have an AR-15 bought during the 1994 AWB that was ban compliant, (basically no bayonet lug).  My brain says the AR is an accurate and reliable rifle.  My  gut would rather have the Garand.

Most magazine fed semi-auto center fire rifles are now banned in the People's Republic of Connecticut.  Off the top of my head, only the M1A w/o flash suppressor, Ruger Mini-14/30 and the Ruger PC series are still legal to buy and those can only have 10 round magazines.

Garand's,  AR's & shotguns, oh my!

Chantry:

Is that an outright ban on ownership, or a ban on sales, or something else?

LL

12 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I have my M6 Field Cannon with all accessories.  My M6 Field Cannon is the most powerful BB caliber cannon available.

uW7Uxj.jpg

BG:

When the Antifa guys start showing up in Emergency Rooms with BB-sized ankle wounds, we'll know who's responsible!

LL

50 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

There would certainly be a value to having capacity in hand, but I suspect it would take very little red mist and gray matter splatter to have most of the protesters pondering their commitment to civil unrest as an instrument of social change. 

These are the same folks who get in arguments with 4,000 pound vehicles (and lose).  I don't think 'pondering' is among their skills.

10 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Chantry:

Is that an outright ban on ownership, or a ban on sales, or something else?

LL

Ban on sales.  With only a couple of exceptions CT residents can not buy magazine fed semi-auto center fire rifles.  CT residents can not buy any ammunition feeding device that holds more than then 10 rounds.  Tube fed rifles are excluded.  Any semi-automatic rifle that was banned and all magazines holding more then 10 rounds had to be registered with the state police.  I've reliably heard that anyone who owned a belt fed weapon had to register the links (by weight apparently) or cloth belts.  Law enforcement and active duty military are excluded from the law.  

Because it was written by people who know very little about firearms there are some odd quirks in the law.  Apparently the half wits who wrote the law based most of it on the 1994 AWB so if the rifle was made prior to 1994 it remains legal. If I had the money I could own an original Gatling gun, but I am not allowed to own the magazines to feed it.

I bought an M4 carbine version of the AR-15 when I was a cop.  We had the choice of using a department-provided gun which was only set to mechanical zero (i.e. NOT zeroed to the shooter) and used by someone else every shift, or supplying my own at my own expense, taking it home everyday, being responsible for its maintenance, and using department ammo to zero it.  

That equation solved itself.  Mechanical zero gets you onto a sheet of paper at 100 yards.  Add in the stress of a life or death situation, and accuracy goes away.  Mine shot out the X-ring at 100 yards.  If it missed, it was my fault only.  And I could rely on the gun doing its job.

I have to admit I don't like them all that much.  I don't think they're all that special of a gun, but I like to call them "Barbie dolls for men" because you can dress them up and accessorize them any way you like.  I won't buy another one because if I have money for another gun, it's going into something I like.  But, I won't get rid of it, either.  

EDIT:  Oh, by the way, if the rioters keep their promise to come to rural areas, I'll be going for the M1A.  .308 > .223.  This equation once again solved itself.  

None for me, thanks.

ANTIFA announced they will be going out into the "white suburbs" and "taking back what is theirs."
Here in CA, there will be Hell to pay if I defend myself with anything, so I want to make it permanent when I have to do so.

My 870 with extended magazine loaded with #1 buck is far more lethal than a varmint cartridge.
But the unwashed seem to have more visual fear of a coach gun.
Must be the "Hollywood" influence.

20 minutes ago, bgavin said:

None for me, thanks.

ANTIFA announced they will be going out into the "white suburbs" and "taking back what is theirs."
Here in CA, there will be Hell to pay if I defend myself with anything, so I want to make it permanent when I have to do so.

My 870 with extended magazine loaded with #1 buck is far more lethal than a varmint cartridge.

They have more fear of the black “weapon of war” because they know you can kill hundreds in mere seconds. :lol:

22 minutes ago, bgavin said:

None for me, thanks.

I have an 870 with extended mag too, and a Mossberg 930, both fully loaded.  But if it's mob time and they're not in my house, I'm going to the AR.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

They have more fear of the black “weapon of war” because they know you can kill hundreds in mere seconds. :lol:

With 300 shot clips.

I have two perspectives:

From the perspective of someone who is passionate about the old west and old style guns, I believe that a revolver, scatter gun and a lever gun will more that suffice in the worst case scenario.  

From a law enforcement perspective of 27 years, once upon a time the Ruger Mini 14 or XGI .308 was a great tactical advantage but then entered the AR series of weapons.  I think they are ugly but highly efficient and extremely accurate. Having shot 3 gun with a AR I developed an appreciation for their design and function.  At the same time I was issued one while in LE and was glad I transitioned into the AR format.  On the day I retired I was considered a dinosaur because I refused to give up my Colt 1911 for a Glock.  

In the event of a worst case scenario, my go to will be a AR. 

Archived