SASS Wire Forum

Anyone rethinking getting an AR

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been thinking about an AR10 in 7.62 NATO!!

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Been thinking about an AR10 in 7.62 NATO!!

You might give a look at the PTR-91, basically a US made HK91. Uses German G3 mags and parts, easy to find and cheap at least last I looked. I like mine.

JHC

ptra3r-jpg-product-product-product-produ

47 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

“Re-Thinking”?

I thought about it and made that choice years ago. 

I’m talking to all the Cowboys who said they would never own one or have any use for one.

Or something better for crowd control.

FC4CBD76-E160-4185-BD8A-45BC1833DC62.jpeg

They seem to have an affinity for fire!  Why not a flamethrower??:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

An AR looks more ominous in your hands than a winchester lever action.  In a crowd like the looters you may need more than 10 rounds in a 1873 rifle.

But the first 10 rounds out of my 38 WCF gives me time to change positions AND reload before anybody can see through the smoke.

;)

‘Course I do have a backup..

6544DD09-AD4C-4B9B-8480-943A377C1D34.jpeg

37 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

I’m talking to all the Cowboys who said they would never own one or have any use for one.

Nope.  I have an M1A1, don't need anything else.

How about an 835 Mossberg loaded with 3 1/2" #1 buckshot?!?!?

3 minutes ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

Ironically, I don’t have much interest in more contemporary firearms anymore.

I’m even thinking of using my double action .38 as a trade-in on my second wheel gun for CAS.

What about for defensive guns?

I "adopted" my first AR right before Clinton told me I didn't need one.  I built another one just for fun.  I'm thinking what I would really like now is a suppressor for my ARs.

I finally broke down and bought one before one of the presidential elections because of talks of more bans. Haven't shot it a lot but it's a good one. I'm in a rural area with no rioting nearby, but I've moved it to the front of the safe.

A few years back I bought a few lowers, build kits and uppers before the capons in Sacramento made it impossible. 

Got them built with the required bullet buttons. 

Capons changed the rules and decreed that the bullet buttons they required magically turned them into assault weapons.  Bought the kits to convert the magazine release to be compliant,  along with the easy pull takr down pins.

Capons changed the rules again and I said to hell with it. I put on after market stocks that take the place of the pistol grip and adjustable stock and also remove the evil flash hider to make them featureless.  That let me go back to the standard magazine release. 

7 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Capons changed the rules again and I said to hell with it. I put on after market stocks that take the place of the pistol grip and adjustable stock and also remove the evil flash hider to make them featureless.  That let me go back to the standard magazine release. 

That’s what I did. Funny thing is, when I moved back to CA I decided to be a good guy and register...I mean “document” the guns I brought into the state using their BOF-4010A form. I listed the AR receiver that I had. It was not a built gun. The DOJ wanted photos of the completed firearm to ensure it met the regulations so I built a “featureless” AR-15. Had they not required that my receiver might still be sitting in the safe unassembled. 

Here it is:

6FE749D4-8238-4DA9-ABAF-818D8CA648E7.thumb.jpeg.5f7524c9b74d98d5f6901b99df418baf.jpeg

It shoots great too. ;)

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Or something better for crowd control.

FC4CBD76-E160-4185-BD8A-45BC1833DC62.jpeg

For crowds  up to 12 miles away!

24 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have one. Debating on taking it for a ride tomorrow. I work near LAX, Los Angeles Airport. 

If I was in your shoes there wouldn’t be any debate over taking the rifle. The debate would be about how much ammo to take. 

Bought 2 stripped lowers when it looked like Hillary was going to be president.

Slowly accumulating parts, could assemble the lowers. But have found from shooting others I don't like the rear sight. When I finish them -- and I will finish them -- I might outfit at least one with a scope.

So instead of an AR, I do now have an AK and ran 20 rounds today. Made a 5" group at 75 yards. That will do for me. Trigger needs some minor work but it is a very shootable rifle. I get some funny looks at 3 Gun but I don't care.

And having watched the news from Katrina, I stole a barkeep's name for his shotgun. He was standing on the roof of his business guarding it against looters. My Maverick 88 is also named kindness. I really would rather not have to kill someone with Kindness, but hopefully nobody ever thinks I have something worth dying for. Not that I have anything worth killing over, but if there is a threat to me or mine...

National Guard Blackhawk just flew over. And me with nuthin but a SIG 9mm.

Archived