SASS Wire Forum

ATF - Civil Unrest Alert - Wow!

Patagonia Pete

Well ... I have to say ... I have never received an alert like this before. 

Just got a voicemail message (cause I didn't pick it up)/phone call alert from ATF warning of civil unrest in my area including looting of businesses etc ... and to protect my records and firearms!! (cool!!) ...

Then immediately afterwards I noticed an email saying the same thing ... wow ... guess I will strap on the 1911 ... 

I've never heard of such a thing from ATF. Did they call your cell or home phone? Received plenty of calls about tornadoes, missing kids, etc but never one from ATF or about rioting/looting.

Interesting. Read about this same thing on another forum. An FFL holder there received a similar call. 

I think that's a valuable alert and I applaud the ATF for finally doing something to help me protect my guns.  However, I don't think I'll be signing up for the ATF alert system anytime soon because I don't have any guns.  Terrible boating accident, ya know.  

7 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I've never heard of such a thing from ATF. Did they call your cell or home phone? Received plenty of calls about tornadoes, missing kids, etc but never one from ATF or about rioting/looting.

Well ... the phone call came in on my voip home line (the number associated w/ my FFL) ... and the email came in on the right email (not my regular email address). 

Here is the text of the email .. (marked from doj.gov for Maricopa county) ..

start >

This is an important message from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Possible civil unrest in our area may result in looting of businesses. The ATF reminds you to remain vigilant and to take appropriate steps to secure both your firearms inventory and your required records. Please report all suspicious persons or activity to your local police department. Additionally, notify ATF at if you find any of your firearms missing, lost or stolen or if you are a victim of an attempted burglary of your business.

< end

cool ... I have been alerted .. ^_^

It sounds like a good thing. I signed up for emergency notifications from the local sheriff. IIRC, we've only had one for a missing girl, Hubby saw her, Hubby called with where he saw her, they called back when she was  found.

Yours sounds like a valuable thing for FFL holders.

17 minutes ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Well ... the phone call came in on my voip home line (the number associated w/ my FFL) ... and the email came in on the right email (not my regular email address). 

Here is the text of the email .. (marked from doj.gov for Maricopa county) ..

start >

This is an important message from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Possible civil unrest in our area may result in looting of businesses. The ATF reminds you to remain vigilant and to take appropriate steps to secure both your firearms inventory and your required records. Please report all suspicious persons or activity to your local police department. Additionally, notify ATF at if you find any of your firearms missing, lost or stolen or if you are a victim of an attempted burglary of your business.

< end

cool ... I have been alerted .. ^_^

"GOSH!!  ATF agent Smith!!  They broke in and burned up all my records, but I ran 'em off before they got to the guns!!" :rolleyes:  :ph34r:  :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Does this now mean that the ATF is in favor of the use of deadly force to prevent firearms from falling into the wrong hands. :o

Yeah ... I was just thinking ... when the TV reporter asks me why I shot "that" guy ... I can say I received an email from the government telling me to. (it said - "take appropriate steps") ... :o

I saw a post about this yesterday. Actually thought it was here in the Saloon (ACS), but maybe not.

The guy posting about it has a cruffle.

5 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Why do I get the feeling the SWAT trucks are fueled up and ready?

SWAT isn’t much good in a riot. NG is.

Just what did Target have to do with the death of George Floyd??

So is this a service for FFL holders only...?  :huh:

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

I saw a post about this yesterday. Actually thought it was here in the Saloon (ACS), but maybe not.

What's a "cruffle?"  confused

3 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

So is this a service for FFL holders only...?  :huh:

What's a "cruffle?"  confused

C&R FFL?  Curio and Relic

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

I got no warning. But they don’t know I’m in this zip code. I doubt if any warnings went out for Cahone. :D

2 hours ago, portugeejn said:

C&R FFL?  Curio and Relic

22 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Yeah, C&R FFL. Cruffle.

Well, I'll be darned.  All these years and I've never heard that reference.

Shux... I was thinkin' it was something to bind up a ponytail or some sort of pastry!  ^_^

It's likely this alert is ONLY going out to people and business with a FFL, even just the Curio & Relic license.  I do not expect the alert to be going out every gun owner in the country.

5 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

TVs, toilet paper, beer, laundry detergent, diapers, new sheets for the bed, whatever.

As to FFLs protecting paperwork... It is not just because the Fed might someday want to track down a law-abiding gun owner... Anyone who wants guns can get a list from the files of a local FFL. Name, address, gun manufacturer and model, and serial number...

This is not the information a gun owner wants to have fall into the wrong hands. There are enough issues with it being in the right hands.

30 minutes ago, Chantry said:

It's likely this alert is ONLY going out to people and business with a FFL, even just the Curio & Relic license.  I do not expect the alert to be going out every gun owner in the country.

But now I know, and so do members of this forum.

Spread the word. Yes, the thought might get to those who should not have the thought, but it needs to get to those who should know.

If those files were destroyed, they wouldn’t get into ANYONE’S hands!!  ^_^

5 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

This is not the information a gun owner wants to have fall into the wrong hands. There are enough issues with it being in the right hands.

5 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

It's kind of funny because I have always seen Target stores as the place where the liberal pukes go to  shop.

Maybe Dick's Sporting Goods will be next on their hit list.

35 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

If those files were destroyed, they wouldn’t get into ANYONE’S hands!!  ^_^

So maybe the ATF should have directed FFLs to protect the people rather than the records...

1 hour ago, Patagonia Pete said:

No no no ... if you are a bad guy ... you simply get a list of gun safe sales from the store ... and/or from the people who deliver them. :ph34r: 

Fortunately they are far from that smart.

16 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Nothing except for their choice of corporate headquarters....................Minneapolis

Archived