SASS Wire Forum

I wrote a novel.

This could be one if those things that could be viewed as a “commercial post” if you are marketing books and you are in the business of doing the same. I am sure that you could tell us about your book but posting a link for purchase may be construed as a Commercial Post.

Here is a link to the SASS Wire Guidelines. What a PITA it was to find these on an iPhone. These used to be fairly easy to find...Anyway, here they are:

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/terms/

Here is a excerpt from the above link:

The SASS Wire is for Non-Commercial postings only. Commercial posts, pile on infomercials, or links from merchants or dealers are not allowed and will be deleted without notice. Commercial promotion is available through SASS’ Affiliated Merchant Program and through SASS advertising opportunities. Please contact SASS Headquarters for more information on these programs. 

I do think you could tell us about your book and give us the title. :)

I would definitely contact SASS HQ or send a PM to the Moderators just to be sure. 

H.K., what is the title of your book? There's a difference in posting a link and telling people to go check it out vs telling your wire pards you wrote a book called x and giving them the run down of it. To me, a personal accomishment such as publication or winning a race, or developing a new thingamajig should be a welcome topic to the saloon.

24 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

H.K., what is the title of your book? There's a difference in posting a link and telling people to go check it out vs telling your wire pards you wrote a book called x and giving them the run down of it. To me, a personal accomishment such as publication or winning a race, or developing a new thingamajig should be a welcome topic to the saloon.

I agree. 

Congratulations H. K. Uriah on your accomplishment!

I appreciate this thread and comments because my son has written a book that has been scheduled for publication by one of the big publishing companies later this year!  Hoping I can make a similar announcement in a couple of months.

Well, this is why I asked before I posted.    I didn't want to do things wrong.

Based on the above, I believe I can say that after 30 years of hard work, and coming to the reluctant conclusion that the field of Science Fiction/Fantasy publishing is essentially a closed community, I have "self published" my first novel.  If you do a search on Amazon for "The Constable and the Chief Captain" that'll take you to where you can find my book.

The book is of the same type of fiction as The Lord of the Rings.  Not that I am comparing my work to that classic, it's just the same kind of a story, as opposed to a mystery or romance or a thriller or a what have you.  If you like that kind of a story, I post this information about its existence for your consideration.

Also based on what folks have said, I won't post a link to it.    If you want additional information, I guess you could PM me.

And if this is in any way not a proper post, I will ask the mods to delete the thread.

Is that fair?   :)

I wrote one and self published a few years ago. I've mentioned it a couple time here with no repercussions.  The big problem with self publishing is no way to advertise. 

Speaking of publishing, J-Bar: This is a shameless request for help. How did your son get a major publishing company to publish his book. I'd like to get mine published but don't know where to start. Any advice? Anybody else? 

The book is called "Bucksnort" and is available on Amazon.   

39 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I wrote one and self published a few years ago. I've mentioned it a couple time here with no repercussions.  The big problem with self publishing is no way to advertise. 

Speaking of publishing, J-Bar: This is a shameless request for help. How did your son get a major publishing company to publish his book. I'd like to get mine published but don't know where to start. Any advice? Anybody else? 

The book is called "Bucksnort" and is available on Amazon.   

After getting several of his books published by small houses, he became acquainted with other authors.  One author who had successfully published himself thought my son’s book was promising and offered to act as his literary agent.  It worked.  I’m told that most large publishers work with literary agents exclusively.  

So my advice is second hand;  maybe you should find an experienced literary agent who likes your book.

J Bar makes a good point.   An agent is all but required.

I can't speak to other genres of fiction, but I can tell you that in the Science Fiction/Fantasy arena, of the 9 or so major publishers, only 2 of them will even consider looking at a manuscript from someone who doesn't have an agent, and of them, only one wants the whole manuscript.  The other wants just three chapters and a synopsis.   Everyone else requires an agent.  And of the agents who actually handle SF/F, something like 90+ percent of them will only take on new clients referred to them by existing ones.   The only other possible option is to get multiple short stories published in one of the 3 or so magazines that take SF/F and hope you can somehow use them to impress one of the few agents that'll accept queries not referred to them by someone they already know.

Not a very easy field to break into.

Oh well.

4 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

If you do a search on Amazon for "The Constable and the Chief Captain" that'll take you to where you can find my book.

Is this the right one? I hope so because I bought one. 

The Constable and the Chief Captain (The Chronicles of Analamar) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089CKVN1W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mFd1Eb82V1NVE

13 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The Constable and the Chief Captain (The Chronicles of Analamar) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089CKVN1W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mFd1Eb82V1NVE

Thats the one I bought, look at the back cover, it mentions Chief Constable Uriah :D

I got the digital version and the paperback; gonna ask for an autograph ;)

15 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yeah, that's the right one.    Thanks.

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Thats the one I bought, look at the back cover, it mentions Chief Constable Uriah :D

I got the digital version and the paperback; gonna ask for an autograph ;)

What a remarkable coincidence.

Next time I see you at the range, bring it along and I'll happily sign.  Where in Tennesee you from?  If I ever get a chance to visit the Opry is that close enough to wherever you are?

1 minute ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

What a remarkable coincidence.

Next time I see you at the range, bring it along and I'll happily sign.  Where in Tennesee you from?  If I ever get a chance to visit the Opry is that close enough to wherever you are?

I'm just over an hour North East of Nashville on the TN/KY border; so yes, close enough. I shoot mostly in Bowling Green, KY and some at Wartrace, TN. 

Good grief!  What’s the title of the book, the author and what’s it about?

CB

13 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I'm just over an hour North East of Nashville on the TN/KY border; so yes, close enough. I shoot mostly in Bowling Green, KY and some at Wartrace, TN. 

Pretty country out there.  I have been to Nashville once, but it was for the army.  We were doing a Quarterly Training Brief to the Commanding General.  And let me tell you about this particular general -- you know the stereotype they are all super uptight and work around the clock?  Well, that's true anyway, but this one was far worse than most.  We worked until 10 pm every night, and then I had to go back to my hotel room and do War College work.  

So I spent a weekend in Nashville and the only part of Nashville I saw was the Reserve Center, the hotel, and the airport.  Eeek.

11 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Good grief!  What’s the title of the book, the author and what’s it about?

CB

The title of the book is "The Constable and the Chief Captain."

The author is me.  

Oh wait, I assume you want my name.  That would be Kevin Mickel.

To quote the back of the book...

After many years of peace, the Three Kingdoms are once again threatened by their old enemy, the sorcerer Borak. Or are they? While there is evidence that he has indeed risen again, there are those who refuse to accept that frightening possibility. Two men, Alginon, the Chief Captain of the Three Kingdoms, and Uriah, the Chief Constable from a small village, find themselves caught up in having to prove that the danger is real. Both know that war is coming, but will they be able to convince the kingdoms of Frundel, Ashthox and Hodgedendon to stand together and remember they are the three provinces of the Kingdom of Analamar?

It would be fair to say that it is an Epic or High Fantasy type story, the same genre as Lord of the Rings.

Does that answer your questions?

Archived