SASS Wire Forum

Vaquero Question

Wyoma

Ruger makes a model of the NMV in 357/38 that has an interchangeable 9MM cylinder.  Is this 9MM cylinder interchangeable with any NMV in 357/38 or is it only compatible with that model # from Ruger?

I honestly do not know the answer but were it me and that question popped into my head sometime over the weekend, I would be calling Ruger 1st thing Monday morning to double check. Is that 9mm cylinder sold with the gun as a set or as an optional item. If sold as set they could possibly be tuned to a specific gun...just a thought.

Hochbauer

The product is sold as a set.  Ruger has had this option in the Blackhawk for awhile.  If you look at the cylinders out of the pistol you cannot tell them apart.  They're not even labeled.  The only way to figure out which one you are putting back in is to try to  put a cartridge in it.  You're right a call to Ruger would answer the question.  I'm very averse to "press one if ……."  Figured I'd get a quick answer here. 

Ruger was not bad to get through to when I called them in the past. I have a pair of USFA in 44 spcl with 44-40 cylinders but each set of cylinders  is marked with the caliber and ser # of each gun. Would be my luck to go to a match and not have either the correct ammo or matching cylinders.

Hochbauer

You have a 50-50 shot that the cylinder will work in another NMV. The measurements are the same, just can be small differences that effect timing. Some people can swap cylinders while cleaning a pair of like caliber Rugers and have no problems. Others will have one or neither gun work. It's a crap shoot.

8 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

That cyl is fitted to that revolver.

OLG 

Ruger cylinders often have the last three digits of the gun SN very lightly engraved in the front of the cylinder, near the hub.  You have to clean the cylinder really well and look closely to see it.  

8 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Ruger cylinders often have the last three digits of the gun SN very lightly engraved in the front of the cylinder, near the hub.  You have to clean the cylinder really well and look closely to see it.  

Oh, That's why I've never noticed it.

43 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Oh, That's why I've never noticed it.

It is indistinctly scratch engraved with what looks like a vibratory engraver.  I have to scrub the end with solvent and a nylon brush (if blued) or a brass brush (if SS) to be able to read them.  I have no idea why they don't stamp the numbers.  The upper photo shows it with one side of the cylinder brush-cleaned.  The lower photo is same cylinder before brushing.  

20200531_075147.jpg

20200531_074730.jpg

More often than not, they will interchange and work, but a convertible cylinder is "fitted" and serial numbered to the revolver at the factory. "Fitted" isn't the right word, really, more like "certified to be within tolerance and function safely with the accompanying revolver".

There were two .38-40/.40 S&W convertible Vaqueros for sale here a dozen years ago. I bought one and somebody else bought the other one. I shot mine with both cylinders, trying it out and seeing where it printed, then a couple weeks later, I got an email from the other buyer asking me to check the number on the .40 cylinder, as his wouldn't quite fit in the frame and had the wrong number. Yup, the seller had inadvertently swapped the cylinders.

DDD thanks.  I see those numbers but never made the association.  I only have the one pistol but was contemplating gearing up for CAS and thought I'd get another of the same.  They're not easy to find anymore.

10 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

It is indistinctly scratch engraved with what looks like a vibratory engraver.  I have to scrub the end with solvent and a nylon brush (if blued) or a brass brush (if SS) to be able to read them.  I have no idea why they don't stamp the numbers.  The upper photo shows it with one side of the cylinder brush-cleaned.  The lower photo is same cylinder before brushing.  

20200531_075147.jpg

20200531_074730.jpg

Did you purchased the Vaquero’s new with last 3 numbers on each cylinder or used when purchased? Looks to me like someone used a vibrator engraver and did them. I do that my Vaquero’s with a vibrator engraver and they look about like this one.  I would think Ruger would use a stamp if and they be nice and neat in appearance like the serial numbers. 

12 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

That cyl is fitted to that revolver.

OLG 

Years ago I bought an old model Vaquero in 45LC that also came with a 45ACP cylinder.  I always had the understanding that the cylinders were to be kept with that firearm.

Two years ago I bought a set of American Regulators in 44-40 that each also came with a 44 Mag cylinder that would also fire 44Spl rounds.

1 hour ago, Caboose said:

Did you purchased the Vaquero’s new with last 3 numbers on each cylinder or used when purchased? Looks to me like someone used a vibrator engraver and did them. I do that my Vaquero’s with a vibrator engraver and they look about like this one.  I would think Ruger would use a stamp if and they be nice and neat in appearance like the serial numbers. 

They came new from Ruger with the marks.  My wife shoots a pair of Single Sixes (.32  cal) and they also came new from Ruger with the numbers engraved.  I agree they look home spun, but I've seen many other New Vaqueros and Blackhawks that have them.  I don't know about older guns.  I'd be curious. Pls look and report.  

I just check my nm vaqueros, both have the last three scribbled on the cyl. Looks like a kid did them. But on the plus side, my cylinders were in the right pistols after all these years!!!

As far as I know all Ruger cylinders are engraved with the last 3 numbers of the gun they were originally fitted to.   GW

Archived