SASS Wire Forum

I need a drink! Dipstick yardmen weedeated my okra plants

I'm kinda partial to good ol' Tennessee corn mash, I'll have a Jack-n-Coke please and a big serving of fried okra.

I’m partial to gardeners that don’t have their head up their a**es. 

The moron we had years ago decided that my wife’s flower bed needed shortening. :blink: This goombah had made the mistake of giving me a list of his customers for referrals when we first hired him. Not only did we fire him I called everyone on his list and told them. Turns out my call was a final straw for a lot of them. They had problems with him too. Cost him quite a few customers. 

Weedeating a pumpin patch, watermelon or cantaloupe patch would be a misdemeanor.

Weedeating OKRA should be a Felony..... multiple counts.   

Get the rope!

..........Widder

You didn’t pay money to those “yardmen” did you?  That’s terrible.

CB

I guess I lucked out.  We hired man 19 years ago in California and he gave me the finest looking yard in Ontario for $75.00 a month.  He charged extra for things like putting in new pants, fertilizing, and sprinkler repairs.  When we moved up here I tried to adopt him even though he was a year older than my wife.

He came by one time to check on one of his crew men and fired the guy on the spot for smoking a cigarette in my yard.

10 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Whassat stuff? Does it make a good mix with bourbon?

JHC :P

Dating from 1884, Moxie is America's third oldest soft drink.   Only Hires Root Beet, 1876, and Vernor's Ginger Ale, 1865, are older.  Number 4 is Dr. Pepper in 1885.  Coke came after that in 1886.

As to "What is it?"  Well, to use the company's own description, it is "Distinctly Different."   Or, as I would say, "It's Moxie.  There's nothing else like it."  You either love it or hate it, there is no middle ground, and I guess it's fair to say that it's an "acquired taste."   Mixing it with bourbon?  Why would you mix it with anything?   Doing so would spoil its unique and special flavor.  I suppose you could, but since I don't drink alcohol, I can not honestly say if it would mix well with anything; I just don't know.   On the other hand, I am of the opinion that the best way to sample it is "straight up."  Anything else will diminish the experience.  And don't even think about diluting it with ice.   Put it in the fridge and let it get cold.

It is in many ways, the unofficial national drink of New England.  It is the *official* soft drink of the state of Maine.  When Calvin Coolidge, of Vermont, was unexpectedly sworn in as President of the United States after the death of Warren Harding, he said, "This calls for a drink," and he and folks with him cracked open bottles of Moxie to toast the occasion.  It can easily be found in any supermarket here in the six state region, and most convenience stores will sell individual bottles or cans right along with other soft drinks.

Outside of New England, it's a little harder to come by.  There is, amazingly, a small bottler in Catawissa, Pennsylvania that actually bottles it in glass, but other than that, your best bet try to find it would be your local Cracker Barrel, where a few bottles will be mixed in with display of other classic and hard to find beverages.  (You can get Vernor's there too.  I recommend it as well.)  And, at Cracker Barrel, it's the "real thing" sweetened with real cane sugar, not corn syrup.

Now, on the other hand, my father hated the stuff.  He once described it as "rancid root beer."  I am not sure how he came up with that, as it tastes nothing like root beer.  And, in this case, he was wrong.  It really is good.

So give it a try.   You just might like it.

Wouldn't know okra if I stepped in it.

However, I grew up with Hires and Vernor's.  After we moved to PA from Buffalo (where Vernor's was everywhere), couldn't find it anywhere.  When relatives came to visit, the trunk of their car was usually loaded with Vernor's.  

I may be in New England, but I have no liking for Moxie; to me, it tastes like an herbal remedy.

LL

12 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I guess I lucked out.  We hired man 19 years ago in California and he gave me the finest looking yard in Ontario for $75.00 a month.  He charged extra for things like putting in new pants, fertilizing, and sprinkler repairs.  When we moved up here I tried to adopt him even though he was a year older than my wife.

He came by one time to check on one of his crew men and fired the guy on the spot for smoking a cigarette in my yard.

Changed your pants for you, did he?

19 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

This is what I reach for when I need some of "the hard stuff."

Moxie.thumb.JPG.22354d0a5e4ab91d6a745845baac0124.JPG

Well, I gotta say, Moxie is hard stuff alright. Once was enough for me. :wacko:    

ED: I would describe the taste more like used crankcase lubricant. I have 

never tasted used crankcase lubricant, but I can imagine it would taste

a great deal similar to MOXIE. 

I’ve never eaten okra, must be living a sheltered life! :lol:

18 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Weedeating a pumpin patch, watermelon or cantaloupe patch would be a misdemeanor.

Weedeating OKRA should be a Felony..... multiple counts.   

Get the rope!

..........Widder

I’d a thought it’d satisfy a requirement for hours of public service.

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Changed your pants for you, did he?

Almost everything but that.  We sold the best looking house in Ontario to move here, and you know what?  I miss that place about like Custer would have missed all those Indians.

17 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I’ve never eaten okra, must be living a sheltered life! :lol:

RYE,

You don't just 'eat' Okra,   You 'savor' it.   Its gotta be fried properly.

I've often felt that when God fed the Children of Israel with 'manna', it could have been:

1. oatmeal or Pnut butter cookies, or.....

2. peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or........

3. Southern fried Okra

..........Widder

4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

RYE,

You don't just 'eat' Okra,   You 'savor' it.   Its gotta be fried properly.

I've often felt that when God fed the Children of Israel with 'manna', it could have been:

1. oatmeal or Pnut butter cookies, or.....

2. peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or........

3. Southern fried Okra

..........Widder

Well, Widder, two out of three ain't bad. 

Archived