SASS Wire Forum

Passport question

Alpo

Is it legal to leave a country on one passport and enter a different country on a second passport?

I've been told that the United States does not believe in dual citizenship, but many other countries do. If Mama and Daddy had been on vacation in Toronto when I was born, I would not only be a United States citizen but I would be a Canadian citizen.

So could I fly out of JFK on my US passport, and into Heathrow on my Canadian passport? Legally?

Do you have to leave a country on the same passport you entered on? If I entered England on my Canadian passport, would I have to leave on my Canadian passport?

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Is it legal to leave a country on one passport and enter a different country on a second passport?

I've been told that the United States does not believe in dual citizenship, but many other countries do. If Mama and Daddy had been on vacation in Toronto when I was born, I would not only be a United States citizen but I would be a Canadian citizen.

So could I fly out of JFK on my US passport, and into Heathrow on my Canadian passport? Legally?

Do you have to leave a country on the same passport you entered on? If I entered England on my Canadian passport, would I have to leave on my Canadian passport?

Which brings up another question:  Will leaving a country on one passport and entering a different country on a second passport draw attention from people one would rather not having poking around in one's life?

When I was in the Navy I flew into Crete on a Navy EP-3. I left 3 weeks later via commercial air. When I went through customs in Athens the Greek customs agent asked me why I had no entry stamp in my passport. Had to show him my Military orders and ID card before I could leave the country. 

Meh, James Bond does it all the time. All you need a sexy woman on your arm and have excitingly dramatic music playing in the background.

10 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Just use the same one and don't muddy up the water.

JHC:blink:

There are reasons, such as don’t want to enter Syria on a passport that says you were in Israel. There was a time when DOS would issue two passports just for that reason.

12 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

There are reasons, such as don’t want to enter Syria on a passport that says you were in Israel. There was a time when DOS would issue two passports just for that reason.

I guess so. I don't have such problems, I only have one.

JHC

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

When Aussie soldiers were working on Golan Heights they had two passports for just this reason.

I have a couple of times left Aust on my passport or ID card (military aircraft) and entered the other place on an Official passport and then the reverse coming home.

10 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Many folks here in the states have dual citizenship. I did till I was 21.

Yes, it can be done with a Passport from the second country.

I do so when I traveled to SA with my Godparents. 

OLG 

My daughter had dual citizenship until she was 21 also.  Japanese and U.S. because she was born in Japan (Okinawa at the time) to American military parents.

20 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Not a good idea to show a USA, PP when traveling in some countries. BTDT.

Even more so today....

OLG 

Why even go there then? All the more reason to stay out.

On 5/30/2020 at 4:03 PM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

It's been a few years, but if I recall correctly, going into Israel didn't get a stamp in the passport, it got a stamp on a separate piece of paper.

On 5/31/2020 at 12:12 PM, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Why even go there then? All the more reason to stay out.

Sometimes there are bigger reasons than our own skins to do so.  Not fun, but sometimes necessary.

Archived