SASS Wire Forum

Another army uniform question

Alpo

Army officers wear their rank insignia on their collar, or on their epaulets?

IMG_20200529_220208.thumb.jpg.c48c05cd9e890047069c80f08f90af8c.jpg

Something about that general's uniform just didn't look right to me. :huh:

I think it can depend on the uniform:  “informally” on the collar of his (daily uniform) khaki’s, as you see, or pinned on, or slipped over, the epaulettes on a “sleeve”.

But, that guy’s haircut is a bit much for a brigadier general, which is basically an invitation to “join the club” as a step up from bird colonel.  If that photo is NOT a movie still, that guy should know he’s being watched ALL the time.  Get a haircut, sport!

Cat Brules 

I was letting the hair slide. Charlie's Angels, 1976.

It was like the doctor/Captain. I thought his hair was a little much, but considering the year...

IMG_20200530_043118.jpg.472328e8718e4e7e84ec3d5a962925a7.jpg

I don't recognize the TV show, but from the ribbon rack I would guess that is a Navy khaki uniform.  I don't recall where Navy officers wear the rank on that particular uniform (you would think with all my "joint" experience I would remember).  

For Army's Class B, officers and NCOs have shoulder boards.  Junior enlisted wear it on the collar.  

That's what I was thinking. You notice there is no fly on those pants.

But I really didn't notice that until I posted the picture. When I saw it on screen I was too busy snickering at the collar turned up/shirt unbuttoned to the breastbone/all that hair and makeup.

the senery does leave things to question   

if i recall correctly it is against regs to wear a complete 100percent acurate military uniform . rember all the old war movies you could find at least 1 incorect itam  it was the standard for non military actors

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

I thought Jill when Kelly undercover as recruits was really something.

tumblr_ly4ynf1dmK1r78dpqo10_1280.jpg

I used to see those girls all the time, sometimes lunching with 1, 2 or all three of them.  They were all more beautiful in person than on TV, that’s for sure.

Cat Brules

He’s got an Army Commendation ribbon on his rack so it’s Army TWs (Khakis) from the 60s or 70s. Officer wore rank and branch on the collars. DUI (distinctive unit insignia) went on the epaulettes. 
General Officers do not wear branch  insignia so rank on each side.

One nice uniform in my,opinion. Too bad they dropped them.

693F97D6-6891-4349-B7BE-4A5E6766C7D2.jpeg

4 hours ago, Old Top said:

Bob,

Those boots do not look regulation and where is your unit patch.  I too wish they would bring the kakis back.

Top, Old  one of

We had our Corcoran modified with the same soles the Bundeswehr paratroops used. Probably wouldn’t have worked in the states but we could get away with it overseas. Unit patch was not worn on that khakis. I guess because of the short sleeves, there wouldn’t have been room for a patch and NCO chevrons.

OK.  Which one of the above are you going to tell that their uniform is incorrect?

21 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Why do the front pockets button like that?  Are they on backwards?

Yup.I assume that seeing as how ladies slacks frequently zip up the back they just put em on that way. :lol:

It looks like there also may be a Navy good conduct ribbon on his rack. And his Arcom is in the wrong order.

But I think Admiral’s stars are smaller than General’s.
??
It’s Hollywood.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yup.I assume that seeing as how ladies slacks frequently zip up the back they just put em on that way. :lol:

When did they start putting zippers in fatigue flies?

22 hours ago, SOUTH-PACIFIC,SASS #59402 said:

if i recall correctly it is against regs to wear a complete 100percent acurate military uniform . rember all the old war movies you could find at least 1 incorect itam  it was the standard for non military actors

This is a wive's tale that keeps getting passed around.  There is no such prohibition.  In most cases, we get incensed by the stupid inaccuracies portrayed by Hollywood.  In cases like the picture of the women, they were obviously taking artistic license to showcase other things.  

I wonder if women would notice that, since women are built differently.

I have, on occasion, while getting dressed in the dark, put my underwear on backwards. It was immediately noticeable. There is a definite front and back side to a pair of jockey shorts.

Curiosity piqued, I just now went and slipped on a pair of blue jeans backwards. There is no way I could close them, let alone walk around in them. There's much more room in the seat of a pair of blue jeans than there is in the front.

7 hours ago, Old Top said:

Those boots do not look regulation

I was thinking the same thing, but not because of the soles.

It was the shiny eyelets that got my attention.

Still available

https://www.workbootsusa.com/come10leplto.html
Sometimes we bent the regulations a bit. We were a long way from the Pentagon. ;)

7 hours ago, Alpo said:

When did they start putting zippers in fatigue flies?

The issued ones I got in 66 were button fly. First zippered pair I had was in 67.

3 hours ago, Old Top said:

Bob, 

A non top cap Corcoran that must be a something new.

I reckon. But what’s newest is the brown ones for the new AGUs. :)

One afternoon a few years ago I found myself in line at the supermarket behind two female Army captains, both wearing camouflage fatigues or BDU's or whatever they're called now .

They smiled.  I smiled.  Then I asked...

"So whose stroke of brilliance was it to put your rank insignia right in the middle of your chest?"

Immediately their smiles turned to glowers and almost in unison they said "We don't know, but we'd sure like to!  Isn't this the dumbest thing??"  

I kinda thought so.  That's why I asked.  :rolleyes:

Like this one:  :)

u.s. army women's uniforms  1970s-2000 | Caton Hill for ESPN.com Caton Hill, a U.S. Army captain, is in the ...

6 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

One afternoon a few years ago I found myself in line at the supermarket behind two female Army captains, both wearing camouflage fatigues or BDU's or whatever they're called now .

"So whose stroke of brilliance was it to put your rank insignia right in the middle of your chest?"

Immediately their smiles turned to glowers and almost in unison they said "We don't know, but we'd sure like to!  Isn't this the dumbest thing??"  

u.s. army women's uniforms  1970s-2000 | Caton Hill for ESPN.com Caton Hill, a U.S. Army captain, is in the ...

They also did away with the branch insignia so you don’t know if you’re talking to an infantry officer, a cannon cocker or a lawyer.

8 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

She's apparently on the flight line, so is forgiven for not having her patrol cap.  But her hair is WAAAY out of regulation, and the cargo pocket is hanging open.  Geez, Captain, way to live up the stereotype about MEDEVAC units not having any military bearing...

Oh by the way, the first time I wore that horrible uniform was as a company commander.  One of the very first ceremonies over which I presided was a promotion for junior enlisted.  Imagine my shock when I had to put a velcro patch on a female's chest.  I think I was 10 feet away and throwing it at her to avoid the sexual harassment complaint.  

23 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Oh by the way, the first time I wore that horrible uniform was as a company commander.  One of the very first ceremonies over which I presided was a promotion for junior enlisted.  Imagine my shock when I had to put a velcro patch on a female's chest.  I think I was 10 feet away and throwing it at her to avoid the sexual harassment complaint.  

My sympathies. :lol:

Archived