SASS Wire Forum

Advantage of mouse farts?

Shooting Bull

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Similar to an experience I had with a shooter several years ago. He liked to run his chops about how anyone not shooting 45's was shooting "mouse fart" loads, he would deride others lack of fortitude/manhood and constantly question whether others loads were even making power factor. I had finally had enough and brought my chronograph to a match. His loads were 160 grain 45's at about 550fps. PF of 88. Same load in rifle and pistol with about 50 FPS more from the rifle PF of 96 . My pistols were 125 grain 38's at 780 fps PF of 96. Rifle was 147 grain at about 750 fps PF of 110. I have never been recoil sensitive and was a "hand cannon" (44 mag, 454 Casull, 480 Ruger, 460 S&W, and 500 S&W)  junkie for a lot of years, my CAS loads are the lightest center fire I have ever shot.

I tried to explain some of Doc Shapiro's research (great stuff by the way Doc Shapiro!!!) to the guy but he was having none of it. He got ticked off and left the game shortly afterwards. Always sorry to see anyone quit but sometimes....

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

In IPSC, to make Major, you need a PF of 160.  It's not a light load by any stretch.

Doc

Did I tell you about the time I shot myself in the left testicle?

For some 10 years I had an FFL to do gunsmithing.  I had ordered for myself a retired Oklahoma Highway Patrol Smith & Wesson model 28 that l later converted to 45Colt.  But while I was waiting for the 50 target barrel to come in,  I loaded up some very light 38 Special loads.  I was enjoying plinking with the heavy big iron with the light load.

Anyway,  I set down with my back slumped back against a carport post and knees pulled up to rest my elbows to shoot a tight group.   I was shooting into a backstop made of seasoned oak timbers.  The bullets had just enough power to stick into the wood.  Except one. I seen it clearly come bouncing back at me ricocheting off the frozen yard but I was paralyzed to react. And thump, it hit me in the who-haws.  Instant pain followed by a quick examination.  Fortunately,  I was wearing insulated cover-alls. And the bullet didn't have enough stream left to even break a thread or leave a mark on the fabric.  But it left an impression on me that lasted a couple of days. 

I have never loaded “mouse fart” loads for my own use. I always load my CAS loads to close to original power or a little hotter. I am not a fast shooter. Never have been and never will be. I ain’t foolin’ nobody that I will ever be in the winner’s circle. 

I load my ammo so that if (God forbid) I ever had to grab a box of ammo for defending myself or home I wouldn’t just  pizz the bad guy off when my bullets bounce off of his favorite tee shirt causing him lead smudges. I hear they can be hard to get out in the wash. :lol:

Now, years ago I used to look down my nose at folks for gaming and loading down their ammo. Then one day a Pard showed up to a match that was very anti-mouse-fart. He had hurt his wrist and had to swallow his pride and download his ammo so the recoil didn’t hurt his wrist. I busted his chops a little bit and then it dawned on me that this could definitely be me someday. That changed my attitude a bit. 

Also, it also dawned on me that I was being a jerk. What business was it of mine what anyone did to play the game as long as they played by the rules?

I have a messed up right wrist. Bad arthritis. Someday I may be having to load down my handgun ammo to play the game  Now how much fun would matches be if the whole time I am shooting my little devil is sitting on my shoulder making fun of me for my mouse fart loads? :D

I used 105's for a time, but the wife's Lightning didn't like them and went to 125 gr. bullets. I wasn't about to go back to loading 2 different .38 loads after getting used to 1 load for all the guns. The secret to the 105's is to use enough powder to smack the target or knockdown the active targets. You know how spotters can be, so if you don't want misses, load 'em up.;)

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have never loaded “mouse fart” loads for my own use. I always load my CAS loads to close to original power or a little hotter. I am not a fast shooter. Never have been and never will be. I ain’t foolin’ nobody that I will ever be in the winner’s circle. 

I load my ammo so that if (God forbid) I ever had to grab a box of ammo for defending myself or home I wouldn’t just  pizz the bad guy off when my bullets bounce off of his favorite tee shirt causing him lead smudges. I hear they can be hard to get out in the wash. :lol:

Now, years ago I used to look down my nose at folks for gaming and loading down their ammo. Then one day a Pard showed up to a match that was very anti-mouse-fart. He had hurt his wrist and had to swallow his pride and download his ammo so the recoil didn’t hurt his wrist. I busted his chops a little bit and then it dawned on me that this could definitely be me someday. That changed my attitude a bit. 

Also, it also dawned on me that I was being a jerk. What business was it of mine what anyone did to play the game as long as they played by the rules?

I have a messed up right wrist. Bad arthritis. Someday I may be having to load down my handgun ammo to play the game  Now how much fun would matches be if the whole time I am shooting my little devil is sitting on my shoulder making fun of me for my mouse fart loads? :D

+10000 Pat!! Well said!!

At the risk of a minor thread derail, and the above bolded looking slightly out of context... You do not come across as a jerk, and not sure you ever did.

This is a game, and competitors come with different goals.

My goal in this game is to push as much speed as I can within the technology constraints, but because of non-competitive factors, I am going to do so with fat ammunition. I just like the look and feel. As a result, I will not have the advantage of .38 Special.

In Steel Challenge, I have shot for years with ammo that recoils like my defensive ammo. My goal was to be as good as possible against multiple targets with that same power factor. I have hit a plateau that I might be able to push past with more training. And after that, I'm probably going to move down in power in the quest for speed in a game. But I resist going to a race gun and red dot sights for myself. Because for me, I am just not yet good enough to take advantage of the tech.

But some people are that good and some people have the money for toys. And a very few are both that good and  have the gold to achieve amazing performances.

In CAS, my plans are to move to black powder (not good for raw speed) in fat rounds (not good for raw speed) but I am going to study power factor and find what works best for me, along with careful slicking of the firearms.

At the shoot I plan to attend next month, I will be trying my lady's cheap SxS. I don't think anyone will look down on me for having an inadequate firearm, I do hope those watching both show patience and share a laugh with me as I struggle to break it open for reload.

I enjoy watching a skilled competitor make a fast clean run and don't really care how much it cost or what they did within the rules to achieve it. One thing I am sure of is that cubic dollars did not make them that fast. Dollars may unlock potential but I have not seen money create it. Real performance came from dedication and practice.

It is a game and I want to play it for fun. Those who get bent are not having fun.

Anyway, this is much longer than the simple statement I intended. And shooting mouse farts out of a loaner shotgun last year was a blast!

We had one pard who loaded so light a HALT was called because we thought he had a squib!

TOs and Spotters have never had that problem with my loads.

5.5 Grains TB under a 250 grain bullet in my .45 NMVs and my '73 although I'm thinking of dropping the charge to 5.3 Grains.

(Just to save powder.)

Add then you have folks that don't give a crap about beating up a club's targets...believe it or not, there are clubs that can't afford AR400/500 steel.

But...what do they care...

Phantom

5 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Add then you have folks that don't give a crap about beating up a club's targets...believe it or not, there are clubs that can't afford AR400/500 steel.

Phantom

Not to mention hot rounds splashing back.

Phantom

Interesting point.

I am in the process of getting some personal AR500 targets, and I am aware of pricing.

Maybe match fees should be based on power factor to help pay for new targets?

2 minutes ago, wyliefoxEsquire said:

Phantom

Interesting point.

I am in the process of getting some personal AR500 targets, and I am aware of pricing.

Maybe match fees should be based on power factor to help pay for new targets?

Maybe it's my old back, but that AR stuff seems heavier than standard targets too.  Maybe denser?

Pat there is a world of difference between mouse fart loads and reduced recoil loads for medical needs.

Like others I have seen loads so weak that the bullets bounced off the targets. They were going so slow you could watch them fly through the air.

I have seen 32's easily knock over plates that a couple of shooters with larger calibers struggled to knock down.

I witnessed a shotgun shooter hit KDs square with 12 gauge loads and fail to knock them over stage after stage. The shooter threw a fit every stage and claimed that the KDs were defective. Yet those same KDs worked perfectly for every other shooter.

Like many others I carry a box of heavy 38 specials for tough KD. In 5 plus years of shooting I have NEVER needed them. My standard 125 grain 38 have worked every time.

When you run across a true mouse fart load load shooter they are easy to recognize because they all have two things in common. They have trouble with KDs and they are either cleaning their firearms every stage or they have malfunctions most every match because the actions are so dirty from blowby.,

If SASS legal loads are damaging targets then change the upper legal limits to the level needed to not damage them. Shooters should be able to load develop legal loads within the set limits on the lower and upper ends without hearing complaints.

A club can't have knockdown targets that's won't go down with minimum legal loads and then say they're going to use knockdowns that require 100 pf loads because the targets that work with 60 pf are more expensive. 

38 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

My goal in this game is to push as much speed as I can within the technology constraints, but because of non-competitive factors, I am going to do so with fat ammunition. I just like the look and feel. As a result, I will not have the advantage of .38 Special.

In CAS, my plans are to move to black powder (not good for raw speed) in fat rounds (not good for raw speed) but I am going to study power factor and find what works best for me, along with careful slicking of the firearms.

At the shoot I plan to attend next month, I will be trying my lady's cheap SxS. I don't think anyone will look down on me for having an inadequate firearm, I do hope those watching both show patience and share a laugh with me as I struggle to break it open for reload.

I enjoy watching a skilled competitor make a fast clean run and don't really care how much it cost or what they did within the rules to achieve it.

It is a game and I want to play it for fun. Those who get bent are not having fun.

Anyway, this is much longer than the simple statement I intended. And shooting mouse farts out of a loaner shotgun last year was a blast!

So glad you have decided to come join the fun. You make some fair points and if I may elaborate. 

The advantage of 38’s over “fat cartridges “ (I assume you mean 45’s or similar) as far as competitiveness can be overemphasized, especially by some. There are literally dozens if not hundreds of shooters using big bore guns who could kick the snot out of most on any given day. Same could be said for some of those who use BP, it is an eye opener when somebody who can’t even see their target burns down a stage two or three seconds faster than a good smokeless shooter. Their guns may have been modified maybe not, what separates them is the effort put into doing their best with what they have. 

While I cannot speak for any but myself I don’t personally know any of these good shooters who are not also good people, willing to mentor a newby, setup or write stages, run timers, share their experiences with any, loan guns (sometimes repair broken ones), etc. etc. etc. Further my experience has been when they are running a stage in the teens they are doing it within the rules. Someone once told me “it takes a lifetime to build a good reputation, give up your integrity once and it is gone forever”. It kind of weeds out those who break rules rather than push the edge. 

This is a game and to those who don’t think the mouse fart shooters, the “gamers”, the fast shooters aren’t there to have fun as much as everybody else, I say as long as they follow the rules there is room for everybody. 

Enjoy the ride, it is a great one.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

On 5/29/2020 at 5:19 PM, Shooting Bull said:

Talking about ammo here, not flatulent rodents. ;)

I shoot 38 Special in both rifle and pistols. A while back I switched from 125 grain to 105 grain bullets. Both sit atop 3.5 grains of Trail Boss. When I do my part these little babies ring steel just fine but they wouldn’t even knock down a drunken sailor. For that reason I carry some 158 grain rounds to matches in case there are knockdown targets. Today I got to wondering if I really do gain anything by shooting the mouse fart loads. I’m contemplating switching back to 125s and bumping the powder up to around 3.8 - 4.0 grains. What are your thoughts one way or the other? 

P.S. This question is primarily geared toward pistols. You can tell me you can feel the difference in the rifle but I won’t believe you. :D

Even with 125 gr. and 4.0 grains you would Still be Deep in Mouse Fart Territory....:D:)

Jabez Cowboy

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

Thank you.  I'm glad to see that important point made here.  Steel is usually one of, if not THE, biggest expense(s) that clubs have.  Nobody likes shooting bowed plates.  AR steels are more rigid, but they are still not immune to bowing after being pelted thousands of times  with not-so-tiny hammers.  Reversing them in half the matches helps.  Having bowed AR plates annealed, rolled flat, and re-heat treated is VERY expensive, and unless you have a 150 ton press and large heat treating oven, it isn't a DIY job.  The simple fact is that the plates can take a lot more hits from smaller hammers for the same amount of bowing.  

14 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Even with 125 gr. and 4.0 grains you would Still be Deep in Mouse Fart Territory....:D:)

Jabez Cowboy

For SASS applications your big bore, full house, blackpowder loads serve no useful purpose other than putting a smile on your face, which it appears they do quite well.

My 'mouse fart' 125 grain 2.7 Clays loads serve the exact same purpose, they put a smile on my face when I run sub 17 second stages. 

Forgive me, but I'm not impressed by a hot .45 Colt load.  If I want a lot of bang and buck I'll go shoot my Model 70 chambered in 300 Win mag, which generates over 4,000 foot pounds of energy, or my 454 Casull with about 2,000 foot pounds of energy.  Those make the measly 300+ foot pounds of a 45 colt look like mouse farts to me.  

7 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Why play with a .300 Win Mag ??? 

How about stepping it up to at least a .375 Ruger :P

Jabez Cowboy

My pre-64 model 70 Winchester is capable of taking anything that walks on the North American continent.  Since I have no plans to leave that area it should be sufficient.  Beside my rifle was manufactured about 40 years before that cartridge was developed.

Under-powered rounds of any caliber are usually the result of a misinformed, or new reloader, equating "no recoil" with being able to go faster.  Often, they are teetering on the brink of squib loads, and their groups will be erratic, if they tried printing on paper. 

Those that equate .45 as "manly" and smaller calibers as inadequate, are just plain wrong.  This was demonstrated on my posse at the 2002 EoT when a gentleman shooting .45s could not knock over the pistol knockdown targets.  He complained loudly.  But then, a junior girl with .32s had no problem.

The .45 vs. .38 argument is also demeaning to new shooters who do not, for one reason or another, reload.  They bought .38/357 guns with an eye on economics.  For now this is their one and only set of guns, and they can buy .38s in bulk a lot cheaper than they can .45s.  

Like Pat said, if what somebody else is shooting is legal, it's none of your business.  Denigrating others because what they shoot doesn't come up to your measure of "manly" runs counter to any measure of the game.

1 hour ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

If SASS legal loads are damaging targets then change the upper legal limits to the level needed to not damage them. Shooters should be able to load develop legal loads within the set limits on the lower and upper ends without hearing complaints.

A club can't have knockdown targets that's won't go down with minimum legal loads and then say they're going to use knockdowns that require 100 pf loads because the targets that work with 60 pf are more expensive. 

Oh BS on the word "Complaints"...come on...

There are choices and I don't think anyone is saying to restrict/minimize/regulate them any further. But for those that think all is wonderful and fantastic and cooooool when using relatively hot rounds to shoot steel targets at a mind boggling distance of a few yards, perhaps they should consider...be aware...that there is a cost for them doing that. And that cost is borne by the whole club that they MAY shoot at.

Phantom

When I first started I was shooting 45 colt w/ 200gr LRNFP bullets and loading them on a single stage lee press. I owned 200 pieces of brass (in those days all the clubs in my area shot 8 stages per match).

The boxes of Winchester 250 grain cowboy bullets were only $20 in those days but too much for me. Just bought 4 to obtain my original brass supply. 

Anyhow ... on this site ... all you would ever see was "don't dare to go below published min etc ... your gun will blow up ... etc etc ... and of course you know the routine ... 

On the Hodgdon site ... the minimum for a 45 colt 200gr LRNFP is (and still is) 6.5gr for Titegroup ... and claims 933 fps w/ a 7.25 long barrel. 

Welllll .... let me tell you ... when I let those babies go ... regular foam earplugs were useless ... people would run from the stage holding their ears shouting ... holy cr...p ... this guy is shooting real bullets.

I though they were just being funny ... When got to the unloading table a few guys just looked at me w/o expression and asked ... "so ... you're shooting 45s huh??" ...

It wasn't until a practice session that another shooter told me ... "you know ... you don't have to put that much powder in those loads" ... 

If there is a problem with damage the solution is to adjust the velocity, bullet weight or power factor to the appropriate level. How can that not be the better solution? They came up with a new rule at one point for the minimum allowed as a solution. A shooter looks at the rules, develops his load under the maximum allowed, and people think he is the problem?

I did a little test. 130s vs 105s in my pistols. My pard loaded and timed me. I did not know which I was shooting. On average, about 8/10s of a second faster on a 10 shot sweep. May will day 8/10s isn’t enough to worry about, but 8 seconds in a 10 stage match Is huge! 
I load 3.2 Bullseye in both. I tried reducing the powder, but found I missed “feedback” from the guns. 

I also tried the 105s In my rifle. While they fed fine, found that I did not like the feel of them. 

now I shoot 105s in pistols, 130s in rifle. Both with 3.2 bullseye. Only adjustment I have to make is about a 1/2 turn of Bullet seating die. 

39 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

If there is a problem with damage the solution is to adjust the velocity, bullet weight or power factor to the appropriate level. How can that not be the better solution? They came up with a new rule at one point for the minimum allowed as a solution. A shooter looks at the rules, develops his load under the maximum allowed, and people think he is the problem?

Why is that not a better solution you ask?

Well, from my POV more regulations to control folks is not as desirable as educating folks and letting them make their own decisions. If someone is knowingly reducing the longevity of their clubs targets because their club can't afford expensive steel, then that speaks volumes...to me at least...about that person's character. Let them define to everyone what kinda person they are...for good or for bad.

What if a club wants to make cheaper knockdown  targets that aren't as reliable for light loads because buying commercial knockdowns is to expensive? Are the shooters who shoot light loads expecting their SASS legal  ammo to knock them down or require the club to spend the money on better targets, lacking in character?

19 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

What if a club wants to make cheaper knockdown  targets that aren't as reliable for light loads because buying commercial knockdowns is to expensive? Are the shooters who shoot light loads expecting their SASS legal  ammo to knock them down or require the club to spend the money on better targets, lacking in character?

JMO, but if the shooter is making SASS power factor and is within the SASS speed limitations then other shooters who don't like it have a problem with SASS, not that particular shooter. 

If a club is using knockdown targets that can't be knocked down by SASS legal loads then they're not running a good match as far as I'm concerned.  If they gave shooters a heads up prior to the match I might be willing to load some 'knockdown' rounds, but more likely I would just shoot somewhere else (if it's a habitual thing). 

My standard loads are hot enough to knock down properly calibrated targets and I'm not inclined to work up hotter loads just so I can overcome crappy targets.

6 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

JMO, but if the shooter is making SASS power factor and is within the SASS speed limitations then other shooters who don't like it have a problem with SASS, not that particular shooter. 

I agree. But for some reason people only think that applies to SASS legal minimum loads. 

I'm not suggesting a club should make targets as described. It was a response to a previous post.

Returning to the original post.

The advantages of legal loads that meet power factor (mouse farts?) are;

Less recoil

Less back splatter

Less damage to steel

Less noise

Less lead

Less powder

-wylie

Define "mouse fart" loads. Light loads are not necessarily "mouse fat" loads. How about a definitive answer. Not just because you say so. My .38 load is 3.2 Clays and 125 gr  TC bullet. If you think that is a "mouse fart" load I will again challenge ANYONE to stand behind a paper target and let me shoot it.

I load 3.6 grs of TiteGroup with a 125 gr bullet. They feel the same as a regular Winchester factory target load. I wouldn’t want be hit by one!

24 minutes ago, Texas John Ringo, SASS #10138 said:

Define "mouse fart" loads. Light loads are not necessarily "mouse fat" loads. How about a definitive answer. Not just because you say so. My .38 load is 3.2 Clays and 125 gr  TC bullet. If you think that is a "mouse fart" load I will again challenge ANYONE to stand behind a paper target and let me shoot it.

Well, it might take 2 or 3 targets to feel safe but you might miss the target and hit a knee..... just joking, to be clear, not serious.

Okay folks, let’s please not get hung up on the term “mouse farts”. I used that term for the sole purpose of being funny. 105s on top of 3.5 grains are mouse farts when compared to 125s on top of 4.0 grains. That’s all I was saying. 

On 5/29/2020 at 9:23 PM, Stump Water said:

It's not so much bullet weight. 

I've watched a few shooters evolve into state and regional champions.  As they got faster they increased the velocity of their loads in order to get "feedback" from the targets faster.

Some say, "Hogwash!  If you're running stages in the teens there's no way you're getting 'feedback' from the targets.  You're just working the gun."   Then you haven't been there.

Some require more feedback from the pistols or use the recoil to help them set the next shot.  They tend to experiment with bullet weight more.

====================================================

Stumpwater is right!!

FEEDBACK is 100% Correct ! 

Your subconscious mind WILL wait until it hears a "TINK" on the target before it moves onto the next target!

And your body needs to feel a bit of recoil to know the shot was triggered.

I had to use a timer and both "Phart" loads and stronger loads to prove it to myself.

It's true!

Archived