SASS Wire Forum

Shotshell reloading

jasper stone

Howdy Jasper,

I use Federal primers for cowboy shotgun loads and they work fine.  I was told they are actually hotter burning than Winchester primers.  

I have had no problems.

Mo

3 minutes ago, Slow Mo Dern said:

Howdy Jasper,

I use Federal primers for cowboy shotgun loads and they work fine.  I was told they are actually hotter burning than Winchester primers.  

I have had no problems.

Mo

I have also heard that diameters might be different? That if we have been using w209 and switch with the same hulls the federal primers my fir loose or vice versa? Thought on that?

Thanks

Jasper,

I could not say.  For some reason my machine has never liked AA hulls so I never have used them. I have always used STS or Gun Club hulls.

I use Winchester, Remington, and Federal primers but never heard about any difference in diameter issues.  

I would think any diameter issues would show up going from standard to metric and vice versa as with Nobelsport hulls and primers.

Mo

11 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You're fine with any 209 primer.

I buy what's on sale at the time.

OLG 

Yup, you can use any brand of 209 primer.

I have one CAS shotgun (out of 33) that is primer specific - a single trigger Tedna coach gun. The firing pins seem to be a tiny bit slow retracting, and if I use a "domed" primer, it often hangs up when opening. I switched to Fiocchi 616's, which is flatter, and no more problem. 

Primers.jpg

I've used the Fed. 209a's without issue. Being a tad hotter I've saved them for BP loads-needed or not! I now use Cheddite due to the low cost, however they do measure a hair larger so I don't know if there will be an issue if I go back to Win. or Federal. I'm thinking it shouldn't be as some of my old hulls seem a bit loose when seating the primer and they have never caused an issue. I'm currently using STS hulls after my new style AA's got bulges in them. I was able to get about 1K of the old style AA's and will try them after my STS's are gone.

Cheddite primes are ever so slightly larger than Federal, Remington, or Winchester primers and will stretch out primer pockets so that they no longer properly hold Federal, Remington, or Winchester primers.

6 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Cheddite primes are ever so slightly larger than Federal, Remington, or Winchester primers and will stretch out primer pockets so that they no longer properly hold Federal, Remington, or Winchester primers.

Well I guess that's when I'll try those old AA's I acquired if I can't find Cheddite's for some reason. Probably after November:ph34r:

I took a case of AA Featherlites to the trap range with my new (to me) Daly 500.
These shoot MUCH softer than Gun Club...
When I went to pick them up with the magnet... no go...
Apparently I have a few cases of the brass base AA... so I took 'em all home with me for reloading.

I read an article where some guy did a pressure test with various primers.

Federal 209A 10,860
CCI 209M 10,460
Winchester W209 10,200
Winchester W209 10,140
Remington 209 STS 9,740
Fiocchi FIO 9,690
CCI 209 9,650
Cheddite 209 9,270
Federal 209 9,070
Remington 209P 8,810

Archived