SASS Wire Forum

Marlin problem

Buffalo Creek Law Dog

I have a Marlin 94 in 45 cal.  It will eject all live rounds except the last one.  It will eject all empty casings except the last one.  When I levered it slow motion so I could see what was happening, I noticed that the exractor pulled the last live round or the last empty round about one inch to the rear and then drop it down onto the elevator.  Any suggestions as to the problem and how to correct it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

18 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Sounds like a good detailed  cleaning is in order.

^^^^THIS^^^^

You need to remove the extractor and clean out the pocket it sits in. Be sure to get ALL the crud out of this blind hole.

Ranger Point Precision makes an aftermarket extractor that works very well.

50 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Not sure how to fix the problem but you should contact @Widder, SASS #59054  He's the Marlin Master maybe he could give you some advice.

23 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Sounds like a good detailed  cleaning is in order.

Yes... I agree with both.

#1:  As Pat stated, a good cleaning of the Extractor and the hole it sits inside could remedy the situation, particularly if that hole

has accumulated crud and is keeping the Extractor from holding onto that last casing correctly.

One of the main reasons all the previous rounds function as expected is because the round on the carrier is supporting

the empty being extracted from the chamber.   But when there is nothing there, the empty is releasing from the Extractor

and causing your problem.

#2:  The spring tension on the Extractor is 'giving up the ghost' or needs to be 'tuned' correctly.

#3:  The Extractor might have a worn tip, which keeps it from holding onto the rim sufficiently.  Read #1 above.

These are my initial thoughts which can cause your problem.   But, always feel free to holler at me if you want:  865 / 696-1996.

EDIT:  I just noticed that Lumpy and Sedalia Dave posted before I could.   Their post are also valid points and good information.

..........Widder

6 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

Thanks folks, I try the cleaning as soon as I get home and see if that works.

There is a tiny roll pin holding the extractor in. Contact Widder for the best way to remove it. 

I remember doing mine and an armorers block and short shank drift punches were worth their weight in gold.  Three hands also help. ;)

Corrected the description of the pin. Thanks Widder;)

6 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

There is a tiny roll pin holding the extractor in. Contact Widder for the best way to remove it. 

I remember doing mine and an armorers block and short shank drift punches were worth their weight in gold.  Three hands also help. ;)

*+And - if you are careful and don't drive the pin ALL the way out - it's a snap to get it back together.

6 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Actually, its a PIN but not a 'roll pin'.   There is a good direction and a bad direction to drive out that pin, but nothing was standard

from the factory.

One end of that pin is 'pinched', which gives it a secure hold.   When driving that pin out, look close to see that the 'pinched' end

is coming out first.   If it ain't, STOP going in that direction and drive the pin out the other way.

If you got any questions on this, call me before driving that pin out.

..........Widder

17 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Actually, its a PIN but not a 'roll pin'.   There is a good direction and a bad direction to drive out that pin, but nothing was standard

from the factory.

One end of that pin is 'pinched', which gives it a secure hold.   When driving that pin out, look close to see that the 'pinched' end

is coming out first.   If it ain't, STOP going in that direction and drive the pin out the other way.

If you got any questions on this, call me before driving that pin out.

..........Widder

Hello Widder.  The pin looks like it is narrower on one side over the other.  The narrow side is indented slightly and the thicker end is flush.  I tried both ways and it wouldn't budge.  I assume the indented narrow side is the one to punch.  It's hard to move it.  It's like it is welded in the hole.  So should I just be a bit more aggressive in punching it out?

Thanks for your time 

You’ll be surprised at the amount of nastiness that will come out of the extractor hole if you’ve never cleaned it. Q-tips work great. It’s got to have room to be able to flex and do it’s job. 

While I was waiting for Widder's reply, I replaced the ejector and guess what, it solved the problem.  It will now eject the last empty 10 out of 10 times and same with the last live round.  Who would of thought it was the ejector.  Anyway, thanks to everyone who took the time to help out an old cowhand.

Cheers everybody and stay safe.

11 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

While I was waiting for Widder's reply, I replaced the ejector and guess what, it solved the problem.  It will now eject the last empty 10 out of 10 times and same with the last live round.  Who would of thought it was the ejector.  Anyway, thanks to everyone who took the time to help out an old cowhand.

Sorry for any delay in my reply.   Thats why I gave you my phone number because I have it with me all the time (normally) but

I don't look at the Wire as often.

Anyhow, glad you got it fixed.

..........Widder

11 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

What was the difference between the two ejectors?

Spring arch maybe??

OLG 

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What was the difference between the two ejectors?

Spring arch maybe??

OLG 

Exactly.  3/16" wider.  The extractor spring was  really strong and I couldn't see how that was the problem.  The hook was sharp and clean, so when I had my parts out, I noticed that the arch on the current ejector was less than the new one, so I switched it and viola.

Are we talking about EJECTORS or the EXTRACTOR?

I will be the 1st to admit that I am surprised that it was the EJECTOR.  Normally, when the EJECTOR is bad, it effects all the rounds being ejected.

But with the EXTRACTOR, it does have a character of its own and can alter the functioning of the rifle in many ways, such as

feeding problems, extractions, and reliable ejections.

Anyhow, I can't figure out how it could be 3/16" wider and still fit in its slot.

Puzzled in Tennessee.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

Exactly.  3/16" wider.  The extractor spring was  really strong and I couldn't see how that was the problem.  The hook was sharp and clean, so when I had my parts out, I noticed that the arch on the current ejector was less than the new one, so I switched it and viola.

PLZ explain.....:huh:

Anyway you can post a couple of photos? 

OLG 

14 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

PLZ explain.....:huh:

Anyway you can post a couple of photos? 

OLG 

I would have to take a course on how to post photos:unsure:.  When you lay both ejectors side by side, the new one the spring curled up 3/16" higher at the tip than the one that was in the gun.  The spring in the old one was more compressed than on the new on.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

I would have to take a course on how to post photos:unsure:.  When you lay both ejectors side by side, the new one the spring curled up 3/16" higher at the tip than the one that was in the gun.  The spring in the old one was more compressed than on the new on.

You clearly stated 'extractor' in the post in question,  when the ejector was the subject.

You can bend the spring to restore/increase pre-load.

Now, go and make sure all screws are 'tite'.

OLG 

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Are we talking about EJECTORS or the EXTRACTOR?

I will be the 1st to admit that I am surprised that it was the EJECTOR.  Normally, when the EJECTOR is bad, it effects all the rounds being ejected.

But with the EXTRACTOR, it does have a character of its own and can alter the functioning of the rifle in many ways, such as

feeding problems, extractions, and reliable ejections.

Anyhow, I can't figure out how it could be 3/16" wider and still fit in its slot.

Puzzled in Tennessee.

..........Widder

I was surprised  that it was the ejector, but before it would not eject the last live round and only about 2 maybe 3  empty casings out 0f 10.  Now it's doing it 10 for with both the last live round and the last empty round.  What can I say?

56 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Widder, SASS #59054 you're mailbox must be full I just tried sending you a message and it didn't go through.

Howdy Tequila.   Try it now.

I cleared out a couple messages.

OR... send me an email at:   widder1894@icloud.com

thanks

..........Widder

Archived