SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ethan Cord

Packaging bullets (or other heavy stuff) for shipment.

Howdy all,

One item that seems to be problematic when shipped (especially via USPS flat rate boxes) is bullets (projectiles, not cartridges). Because of their weight, they can tear open the ends of the boxes if they are not securely taped with good quality tape. The fold in tabs and self sticking tape on flat rate boxes is not enough to contain the weight of the bullets inside them. 

Bullets not stored and shipped in their original boxes can be secured in a vacuumed sealed package if you have a seal-a-meal device. If not they should be secured in a heavy duty zip lock bag and then double it up with a second bag. After that, I recommend wrapping the zip lock bags with packing tape before placing them in the box. Be sure to fill any empty space in the box interior with newspaper, plastic grocery, bags or packing peanuts to prevent the bullets from shifting end to end during transit and busting open the box in the process.

I have been disappointed several times by receiving an empty or partially empty box that was supposed to contain bullets. Trying to collect the insurance from the USPS is an experience you will not enjoy and is truly not worth the time of effort it requires, if you are somehow successful. 

Happy Trails!

• Like 2

Probably should have been posted on the wire or saloon.

This seems like a good place to post, as it deals with things for sale.

All good advice, with the addition of using the USPS Priority Tyvek bag is a great idea as it is almost rip-proof.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've ordered bullets from Springfield Slim, Waimea, and Scarlett Darlin'.  All have been professionally packaged and received with no issues.  True pro's all three.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

I've ordered bullets from Springfield Slim, Waimea, and Scarlett Darlin'.  All have been professionally packaged and received with no issues.  True pro's all three.

The only problem I have with getting bullets from Scarlett Darlin is the lipstick and lip prints :wub:she left on the wooden box in lieu of a hug. :rolleyes:A friend of mine picked them up at WR and brought them back to me. My wife was out in the shop the other day and saw the box and asked me what was going on with the lipstick on the box, I’m not sure she bought my explanation.:(

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Yul Lose said:

The only problem I have with getting bullets from Scarlett Darlin is the lipstick and lip prints :wub:she left on the wooden box in lieu of a hug. :rolleyes:A friend of mine picked them up at WR and brought them back to me. My wife was out in the shop the other day and saw the box and asked me what was going on with the lipstick on the box, I’m not sure she bought my explanation.:(

I heard her husband does the lip prints when she gets overloaded...:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

This seems like a good place to post, as it deals with things for sale.

All good advice, with the addition of using the USPS Priority Tyvek bag is a great idea as it is almost rip-proof.

Using the Tyvek bag to wrap the bullets before placing them in a box is a great idea!  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

I have never had an issue with bullet packaging sent from professional caster,  and I have purchased from numerous vendors including Springfield Slim over the years. The occasional private seller may not realize how little respect shippers have for the packages they handle.

• Like 1

I picked up many bullets off the PO floor until I ordered from "Ringers Bullets". He puts the bullet boxes in a double flat rate box and then stuffs cardboard in any gaps. Never a lost bullet since. No lips stick however!

• Thanks 1

I don't do lip prints but I do put scent in the bullet lube! Makes my shop smell nice. :)

• Like 1

I just shipped 200 44-40 bullets by priority mail. The buyer got a bag of bullets and the box separately. I had taped the box 6 ways from Sunday. not sure what happened but it was not good

On 5/29/2020 at 3:35 PM, Cholla said:

I heard her husband does the lip prints when she gets overloaded...:lol:

Explaining Scarlett's lip prints would be enough of a problem... Well, a mans got to do what a mans got to do. And if I ( a man who will need to order bullets at some point) do order bullets and they come in with man-lip prints, I'll just tell my lady that Scarlett was busy. My lady will understand.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

plastic grocery bags or packing peanuts 

I would recommend NOT using plastic shopping bags for a packing filler!!!!    They are not worth a darn as padding material, as they move around and collapse to minimal thickness with the slightest pressure. 

A fellow shipped me a nice Mil Surp rifle, all that he used for padding was a double handful of plastic bags.  Needless to say, the Post Office was DEE-LIGHTED to bust the stock and ruin the sights on the gun.    And yes, I had warned the feller that he had better pack securely!  He got to "eat" the entire value of that one.

And the peanuts are worthless for a heavy item that can sink to the bottom of a box.   You cannot get peanuts to pack tightly enough around heavy items to travel a thousand or more miles, then protect from a six foot drop.   Peanuts are for the birds - in both senses of that phrase!

Good luck, solid packing, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2020 at 12:32 PM, Yul Lose said:

Yeh sure Yul Lose a good & likely story to tell your better half. God Bless pilgrim.

Edited by Jackrabbit Joe #414

3 hours ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

Yeh sure Yul Lose a good & likely story to tell your better half. God Bless pilgrim.

I just ordered four more boxes of bullets from Scarlett yesterday, we’ll see what happens.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I just ordered four more boxes of bullets from Scarlett yesterday, we’ll see what happens.

Well we got a spare room if you need it. 

(Just Kidding pilgrim. Waaa, Haw)

Edited by Jackrabbit Joe #414
  • Haha 1

Also, old sandbags are extremely tough if you can't find Tyvek.

Just order the Tyvek bags online from the USPS, they're free.

• Thanks 1