SASS Wire Forum

Curious about your Cowboy 'Staches

As the title says, and for fun since I'm sure many of us have been in some form of quarantine or limited activity, what does your fancy range tickler look like right now?  What style do you normally rock for SASS?  I'm guessing there are a lot of Walrus and Handle-bars floating out there.

Same style as ever ....... No change ... Except More Grey ...

Been a Cowboy before I could grow Hair under my Nose ...

Jabez Cowboy 

Clean shaven.

Tried, but can't tolerate hair under my nose.

Too many allergies.

(Sniff)

And in winter here in Canada, there's the problem of nosicles.

art.polar_.bear_.jpg

Been like this since I was about 25, long before I ever heard of cowboy action shooting. Over the years it has gotten grayer, but otherwise it's the same.

Grandpa and Amelie Feb 2008.jpg

There ya go.

I was blond when I was a kid, but when I went through puberty my hair turned brown.

Now I'm going blond again. :)

I’ve had this stache since my US Navy active duty days. The first iteration was a Dick Dasterdly Handle Bar. I waxed it and curled it up at the tips. As we were on deployment in the Caribbean (sp?) Sea it would melt and droop so I eventually just cut it at my upper lip line. I had to appear in front of the Captain to request permission to keep it once we returned stateside.  I think it was CNO Admiral Zumwalt who relaxed the facial hair standards for surface ship personnel in the late 60’s. It’s a little grayer now than when I first grew it. Like Alpo I was blond as a young child then my hair turned brown. I wouldn’t mind it being all gray now. 

Amusing story:

I grew this while at sea for 6 months. When the ship docked at Norfolk Naval Base the Captain allowed all ships company dependents onto the hanger deck to meet their husbands, fathers or boyfriends. 640 sailors looking for their loved ones was quite a busy scene. I found my wife in the crowd and she had her back to me as I approached. I touched her shoulder to get her to turn. When she turned and saw me, she almost smacked me before she realized it was really me. 

I tried shaving it off once after many years. It felt really weird without the insulation on my upper lip and I had a hard time not cutting myself, so I grew it back and haven’t been without it since.

CJ

A8EA52F1-68A3-4D0F-9286-C46CFD89C098.jpeg

I grew the ends down to my chin during the CV shutdown, but shaved that part off last week. For some reason, the color was shock-white.:o I figured with it trimmed, I could knock at least 6 months off my age.:lol:

58 minutes ago, Go West said:

I grew the ends down to my chin during the CV shutdown, but shaved that part off last week. For some reason, the color was shock-white.:o I figured with it trimmed, I could knock at least 6 months off my age.:lol:

Yeah.  Let me know how that works out for you.  :P  :D

1 hour ago, Go West said:

When I returned from active duty to the reserve center a Chief told me I should shave the mustache as it made me look old “ at least 22 years old”. He thought I was still a teenager (19). I was 25 at the time. :P I didn’t tell him that as he was truly trying to help. I just told him my wife liked it and I was better off following gentle hints from SWMBO. The Chief agreed on that point. 

CJ

Messed up trying to trim my short handle bar and now I look like UB! I like Fence Cutters , but the ends would be in my eye site and drive me crazy! Nice job FC.

5 hours ago, Hendo said:

And yeah, I got no idea what my style is. 20171217_122402.thumb.jpg.4ba6dff0784d61df899cf2b93c922b34.jpg

I can't name the style either, but otherwise you have excellent taste!

9 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Same style as ever ....... No change ... Except More Grey .....

You need to rephrase that last part like I do.......

I tell 'em I been adding a few highlights.

9 hours ago, Alpo said:

Been like this since I was about 25, long before I ever heard of cowboy action shooting. Over the years it has gotten grayer, but otherwise it's the same.

Grandpa and Amelie Feb 2008.jpg

By golly now, pard, you have just made my entire week!
But then I am a sentimental old granddad!

You, sir, are doing it RIGHT!!!

My daughter said that she HAD to take that picture. She couldn't NOT take it. It was too good a shot to pass up.

Lobita was 5 years old.

In this one I had just met her. She was 5 weeks old. I'd been on an airplane all day and was exhausted.

579343469_GrandpaandAmelieMar2003.jpg.cdeb00e3441eb33098b84622c3917f67.jpg

Unfortunately by the time she was 10 she decided she didn't want to sleep on Grandpa anymore.

I had a pretty good one back when I wore a younger man’s clothes. :lol:

6897290B-97F1-4C9F-96AA-D3242B7FAB1C.jpeg

You like my Stash ? 

Screenshot_20200529-230443_Photos.jpg

21 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

9150B1A3-590E-4F51-87DD-E1095F59A4BF.jpeg

I've seen that picture in the US Post Office. Something about America's Got Talent, America's Most Wanted........it slips my mind right now......

See my avatar for a representation of my cowboy stache'. 

It's a photo negative of course. The stach'' is white, not black.

16 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

I think you mean older by the day....

Texas Lizard

Everybody gets older by the day, some by the minute......except you.  You don't age much, but then neither does a rock.  You were born old, like Walter Brennan, Gabby Hayes, and Whatsizname Honeycutt.  :o

Come to think of it, that applies to almost everyone I know in SASS. :wacko:

This was my fave from years ago. When I retire in a few years I'll probably go back to something like it for awhile. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3c5.thumb.jpg.dd3342e4e5a624b30dd1d9721a493761.jpg

See my avatar for a representation of my cowboy stache'. 

It's a photo negative of course. The stach'' is white, not black.

All right, here you go. And no, the glasses, nose and mustache are not a one piece unit from the novelty store.

IMG_1766.jpg

Archived