SASS Wire Forum

Staging Rifle

Hells Comin

I don't see why not. The only category that I am aware of that specifies a hat must be worn for all official proceedings is Classic.(at least it used to say that)

20 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I don't see why not. The only category that I am aware of that specifies a hat must be worn for all official proceedings is Classic.(at least it used to say that)

- Hats must be worn for the entire match. 

SHB p.8 (Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl)

- Hats must be worn and must be felt hats only.  No straw or palm leaf hats allowed.

SHB p.9 (B-Western)

Since it's ok with the rifle why not the shotgun. So I'm going to place my hat over the port (up) 97 when shooting rifle (rifle &SG are staged at same position) then move to another position to shoot the  Shotgun. 

Hat on staged shotgun - OK by my interpretation,  there not being a rule against it.  

(Seems quicker to roll shotgun over to port down, to me).

If you are most interested in covering the shotgun, why ask about rifle first?  :blink::lol:

Good luck, GJ

2 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Hat on staged shotgun - OK by my interpretation,  there not being a rule against it.  

(Seems quicker to roll shotgun over to port down, to me).

If you are most interested in covering the shotgun, why ask about rifle first?  :blink::lol:

Good luck, GJ

Just being a goofball. 

For me it's quicker picking the up the Sg while aready moving- just more comfortable for me. Only when moving to the left to the right port down. 

Since you don't shoot CC or B-Western, I totally understand covering guns with your hat, especially in the summer in Phoenix.

14 minutes ago, Go West said:

Since you don't shoot CC or B-Western, I totally understand covering guns with your hat, especially in the summer in Phoenix.

I'm getting Older so no shooting when it's over 100°, but  there are 2 matches a month up north.

Where in the rule book does it say a shooter has to wear a hat.  I know in certain categories they have rules about what kind of hat it has to be, but where does it say you have to wear a hat. 

22 minutes ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Where in the rule book does it say a shooter has to wear a hat.  I know in certain categories they have rules about what kind of hat it has to be, but where does it say you have to wear a hat. 

The "hat regs" from the SHB for the TWO categories that require a hat to be worn are referenced  7 posts above yours. 

A hat is sort of a big clumbsy item.

Why not try bringing 2 wild rags with you to place over your long guns.

When you remove them from the long gun, you do not have to worry about where they go.

You can drag them off and let them fall to the ground if you like.

Wild rags are cheap to replace.

A hat depending on the maker, not so much.

I use to place my leather gun covers over my long guns.

Getting dirty was their job.

Protecting the guns from dirt and dust.

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

A hat is sort of a big clumbsy item.

Why not try bringing 2 wild rags with you to place over your long guns.

When you remove them from the long gun, you do not have to worry about where they go.

You can drag them off and let them fall to the ground if you like.

Wild rags are cheap to replace.

A hat depending on the maker, not so much.

I use to place my leather gun covers over my long guns.

Getting dirty was their job.

Protecting the guns from dirt and dust.

The reason behind placing a hat over the port is so no spent rifle cases  find there way into the port. I do not remove it from the Shotgun. 

A hat is rigid and it just flies off. I  have no idea where the hat went until the stage is finished. I carry a special Walmart $1.99 hat for just for this.

Lol 

I always wondered why people didn't put a playing card over the shotgun port to keep shells from going in there, seems a cheap and easy solution and they come in packs of 52, should fall away easily when the SG was picked up. I shoot a double, my wife wont let me have playing cards anymore......

Just a thought

Sneaky 

I don't like shooting my '73 rifle without a hat.  I was practicing the other day (using BP) and a spent casing went up then straight down the back of my shirt.  I even got a little burn mark on my neck from it.  Looked kinda like this.

FRUoLcI.gif.e17fb995b2ff59ed451c1d019c6015fe.gif

On 5/29/2020 at 9:04 AM, Hells Comin said:

Just being a goofball. 

For me it's quicker picking the up the Sg while aready moving- just more comfortable for me. Only when moving to the left to the right port down. 

But you gotta put your hat on first before ya pick up the sg??? No?:)

4 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

No, you just have to move it.

Don't even have to move it. By grabbing the stock, the hat falls off.

I did this at WR one, flood, year. Worked good, once :D

Archived