SASS Wire Forum

Scenarios

Speaks Easy

Can anyone share a couple of simple scenarios? I am trying to encourage a couple of friends. I have a good gun range and plenty of steel targets. They don't seem to grasp the fun of the sport. So, I think that if I can replicate one or two stages here at the ranch they might understand that this is fun for fun's sake. They are silhouette shooters and don't think shooting can be fun if you miss occasionally .  I tried to explain having to quote a line and got stares of "We may need to commit him."

The Tennessee Mountain Marauders recently put on a couple of mail in matches.  5 scenarios on one setup.  Perfect for the small range.  Here is the link to one of the threads:  

Here's a simple stage...

Begin at position 1.  At the beep. pick up rifle and fire 10 rounds at the really big dump target.  Make rifle safe and move to position 2.  Draw first pistol and engage the 3 targets in a 2-1-2 sweep.  Repeat with second pistol.   Move to position three where shotgun is staged and engage the 4 knockdown targets until they fall.

It’s not hard, 5 rifle target, 5 pistol targets and 4 clay birds hung with some masking tape on a piece of rebar or two. Two birds on each end of the pistol targets. At the beep 1st pistol l-r for 5 rds, holster, pick up the rifle 5 rds l-r on the rifle targets with a 5 rd dump on any pistol target, rifle down second pistol r-l for 5 rds, holster, pick up sg for 4 any direction. Put them far enough apart that you can’t get two birds at one time. 

Thanks everyone! Y'all are great!  I believe I can lay something out now. Special thanks to Hurricane Charley with TMM!

Chief Rick, man what a resource! I will be sure not to humiliate the ram shooters when they don't get 2 minutes between each shot like they're used to!

If you had up to two minutes to acquire each target how often would you miss? LOL

Speaks Easy.

We have 24 scenarios that are free downloads (PDFs) on our "Virtual Cowboy Shooting" page in our website. They were intended to use with our "Virtual Timer" to practice on your computer during the coronavirus.

Web site is: www.PRVCatLazyArrow.com - then click on Virtual Cowboy Shooting page, or the direct link is:

http://www.prvcatlazyarrow.com/prvcatylazyarrow.com/Virtual_Cowboy_Shooting.html

Enjoy...

ERE

Easiest way to write a stage is to go out to the range.

Place 2 or 3 tables on the firing line.

Now place steel in front of each table.

This will help determine how to shoot the stage.

Table 1 say 3 targets.

Pistol or rifle shoot 1, 2, 3, 2 , 1  then 3, 2, 1, 2, 3 

This will work for rifle or pistols.

Next table 2 tagets and alternate.

Number of shots is up to you. 2, 4, 6 etc.

If you have 3 tables, then what every was used on table 1 the other gun on table 3.

Or just move back to table 1 and continue.

16 hours ago, Roger Rapid said:

Speaks Easy.

We have 24 scenarios that are free downloads (PDFs) on our "Virtual Cowboy Shooting" page in our website. They were intended to use with our "Virtual Timer" to practice on your computer during the coronavirus.

Web site is: www.PRVCatLazyArrow.com - then click on Virtual Cowboy Shooting page, or the direct link is:

http://www.prvcatlazyarrow.com/prvcatylazyarrow.com/Virtual_Cowboy_Shooting.html

Enjoy...

ERE

I love your "make safe" instructions...like...do you really need to tell them that????

To me, just a bunch of senseless words that make the stage instructions longer than they need to be.

Phantom

Make safe is an appropriate instruction if it is followed by the location. Other than that it is just extra words.

4 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

On the one hand, yes, "make safe" should be understood.   On the other hand, I hear it at almost every shoot I attend.   No reason why it can't be added.  Extra caution never hurt anyone.

That doesn't make it worth doing...just because folks do it.

It's a waste of time, adds to the length of the stage instructions...total redundancy...

52 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

...total redundancy...

Is there another kind?   :D

Just funnin' with ya.

2 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Make safe is an appropriate instruction if it is followed by the location. Other than that it is just extra words.

Unless it’s stand and deliver I think ‘make safe’ somewhere is always called for. My preference is ‘make safe wherever you like’ but if the stage instructions don’t say I’m almost certainly going to ask whether it has to be made safe where it was used or if I can bring it with me.

30 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Unless it’s stand and deliver I think ‘make safe’ somewhere is always called for. My preference is ‘make safe wherever you like’ but if the stage instructions don’t say I’m almost certainly going to ask whether it has to be made safe where it was used or if I can bring it with me.

Why??

Hold on Gents…

Before we overwork the “make safe” language, please don’t forget that we provided the scenarios that Phantom was referring to as “virtual scenarios.” 

In the absence of actually being at the range and holding guns in your hands, the scenarios were intended to make you think about everything you do rather than just saying “rifle, pistol, shotgun, you’re done!” We say things like “with pistols holstered, move to…” While you’d obviously holster your pistols, we wanted you to envision doing it. Having you going through the motions in your mind while not being able to be at the range was the whole spirit of our Virtual Cowboy Shooting exercise..

RR

30 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Why??

Depending upon several factors, for example where I'm going next and how I'm standing in relation to the place I'm shooting the long gun from, I may conclude that it's quicker to take it with me.  If directly behind a table, moving to my right, and shooting the shotgun next, I'll probably leave the rifle and grab shells on the way. If I'm moving to my left and shooting pistols next I 'may' want to bring it with me, particularly if I'm standing to the left of table when I'm shooting.   

In any case I want to know what all my options are before I start figuring out how I'm going to shoot the stage, and I don't ascribe to 'if it doesn't say I can't do it then I can' so better to ask.

'Restage rifle wherever you want' would be great too.

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Depending upon several factors, for example where I'm going next and how I'm standing in relation to the place I'm shooting the long gun from, I may conclude that it's quicker to take it with me.  If directly behind a table, moving to my right, and shooting the shotgun next, I'll probably leave the rifle and grab shells on the way. If I'm moving to my left and shooting pistols next I 'may' want to bring it with me, particularly if I'm standing to the left of table when I'm shooting.   

In any case I want to know what all my options are before I start figuring out how I'm going to shoot the stage, and I don't ascribe to 'if it doesn't say I can't do it then I can' so better to ask.

'Restage rifle wherever you want' would be great too.

If there is no mention as to what one is to do with a long gun after completing the string...wouldn't you be able to do whatever you want so long as you are not violating a SASS rule/convention?

Sticking to what's written is paramount to running a consistent competition.

Phantom

27 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

If there is no mention as to what one is to do with a long gun after completing the string...wouldn't you be able to do whatever you want so long as you are not violating a SASS rule/convention?

Sticking to what's written is paramount to running a consistent competition.

Phantom

There’s no rule or convention that I’m aware of that states that. I don’t like redundancy either, but I do like clarity. It’s a balance. Is ‘make safe’ needed, clearly no. Are instructions about where long guns can discarded needed? I think so. JMO.

42 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

There’s no rule or convention that I’m aware of that states that. I don’t like redundancy either, but I do like clarity. It’s a balance. Is ‘make safe’ needed, clearly no. Are instructions about where long guns can discarded needed? I think so. JMO.

The only references are HOW...not WHERE. If instructions are necessary (e.g. vertical staging or pointed into a side berm for safe downrange movement), they should be clearly written into the stage directions.

REF: SHB pp.15-17

Gee, folks! I didn't intend on starting a ruckus. I haven't shot in about 15 years. Things seem a lot more serious than way back when I started. Does anyone quote movie lines, grab a bag of money, or put a baby on the floor of the wagon before starting a stage anymore?

56 minutes ago, Speaks Easy said:

Gee, folks! I didn't intend on starting a ruckus. I haven't shot in about 15 years. Things seem a lot more serious than way back when I started. Does anyone quote movie lines, grab a bag of money, or put a baby on the floor of the wagon before starting a stage anymore?

Sometimes, rarely, hardly ever, haven't seen it in years...  

And, starting a ruckus on the Wire is generally an unintended consequence of starting ANY thread.

6 hours ago, Speaks Easy said:

No ruckus, so far. Just a discussion.

Around here movie lines are relatively common, money bags or other props aren’t as common but you still see them once every four or five matches or so.

Archived