SASS Wire Forum

Kel-tec 22 mag rifle

Trigger Mike

how are these?  My son turn 15 next month.  He currently uses a ruger 10/22.  He wants a little more punch as he hunts beaver and otter in our pond.  He is too rough with a scope so needs iron sights and this is the only semi auto 22 mag I can find with iron sights.  

Honestly, I would consider a lever gun. 
https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/lever-action-22-magnum-rifle/

Quick reload, no magazine to lose, iron sights.
I say this because .22 Magnum is now more than $20 a box of 50. That’s 40 cents a round or more. 

Semiautos and kids = lots of ammo down the pipe fast. 

Howdy,

have you tried Velocitor .22s?

Or stingers?

Some folks have spent a lot of effort to come up with .22 rf for varmints.

A lot of 22 mag semiautos sure like to jam.

Ruger gave up on making a 10/22 mag. 

But you might get lucky...

Or maybe its time to start taking it easy on scopes.

Best

CR

5 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

have you tried Velocitor .22s?

Or stingers?

Some folks have spent a lot of effort to come up with .22 rf for varmints.

A lot of 22 mag semiautos sure like to jam.

Ruger gave up on making a 10/22 mag. 

But you might get lucky...

Or maybe its time to start taking it easy on scopes.

Best

CR

He did manage to sneak up on a beaver standing out of the pond to eat a tree on shore and hit him twice with stingers in the chest but it swam away and died later.  We had to fish it out a couple of days later 

I don't want to give him an AR  just yet .  On one side of the pond is my cabin and through the woods behind it a house so I want to wait before giving him something that can hit the cabin or a house

Howdy,

If it takes that much I would skip the 22 mag.

9mm carbine would seem a better choice.

A 22mag is about twice the 22 rf. So if it takes 10 shots....

Best

CR

Why not a lever gun in a pistol caliber.  Cast lead 38 specials would work well and are relatively inexpensive. 9mm would be another good choice.  Rather than a dedicated PCC; now might be the time to buy an AR-15 lower and an 9mm upper. As he grows you can keep adding uppers in different calibers. As a reward for doing various things you can buy him lots of accessories for it. Upgraded furniture, triggers,and more. There is a reason they the AR-15 is so popular.

Before I went with 22 mag I would seriously consider 17 HMR.

And there is a reason you find very few Semi-auto 22 magnums and even fewer 17 HMR. Besides the cost, neither cartridge works very well in a semi-auto.

How many beaver do you have in your pond?  If were mine, I wouldn’t be shooting them.  But, you know your situation.  Carry on.

CB

10 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

How many beaver do you have in your pond?  If were mine, I wouldn’t be shooting them.  But, you know your situation.  Carry on.

CB

We have killed 9 so far.  My neighbor up the hill has a pond twice as large as mine and they destroyed his dam completely so now everytime it rains more than an inch my pond runs knee deep on the run around even though I have a run off pipe as well as 3, 6 inch siphones and 2, 9 inch siphons that I installed when I realized he was losing his pond.  

I was keeping my pond balanced and growing large bass for fishing but I  keep losing fish now.   He is not one to fix his pond either.   

When his son in law shot his uncle he let the shooter come to his house and did nothing. 

Archived