SASS Wire Forum

Question about Air Force uniform

Alpo

To begin with, this is a comic strip. And the artist is not really up on military uniforms.

This purple haired gal is a LIEUTENANT Colonel, but for the first several years of the strip she wore eagles.

IMG_20200528_071430.jpg.a819374209618225d20f735de47f5e20.jpg

Her immediate superior is a brigadier general. I am almost certain that Air Force uniforms do not include button-down collars.

IMG_20200528_072746.jpg.c7511a50978afe95c5b63afefe2fd48b.jpg

She is at this fancy dinner wearing Mess Dress. She's wearing pants, and as far as I can tell from web searches, female Air Force Mess Dress wears a skirt.  Floor length, but a skirt, not pants. And she's wearing boots, which is certainly not uniform. My quandary though, was about rank insignia. She is wearing hers on her shoulders. Is that the correct placement? That would not be for Army, but she is Air Force.

IMG_20200528_070229.jpg.545767cb5f5f608823979b5a1a3d6506.jpg

At least he finally got her wearing oak leaves. Only took about six years.

Not sure about nowadays, but back in the 1960's, the AF mess dress had shoulder boards that ran parallel to the line of the body (inboard to outboard), with the rank insignia embroidered on it.  Army officers, IIRC, had the boards running front to back, much like the shoulder straps in the 1800's.

:lol::lol:

The pointy ears are also non- issue. 
When the drill sgt told here to get her ears lowered, he wasn’t kidding.
Must be Space Force.

As a collector of military haberdashery I could go into current and past uniform regs at length, and bore everyone to tears. 
So I won’t.

P.S.

Air Force dress shirts are blue, not white. ;)

15 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Vulcan?  Or Romulan?

Or Elf?

Her last pic is not Army or Air Force. More like USMC.

8CC7F0A7-DB4D-4067-93B8-0ED48F3179CC.png

Army female mess jacket
Bored yet? :lol:

599701FB-711E-4E29-BB61-E3A5BC064081.jpeg

To begin with, this is a comic strip. And the artist is not really up on military uniforms.

And there ya go.

1 hour ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Grrl Power Alpo?  ;)

Yep. And I wish he would kill off that dork Deux, and get back to Sydney trying to learn how to be a superhero.

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

It’s a COMIC STRIP!

Lemme see now. I'm fairly certain that I know that. Oh yes. First sentence I wrote.

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

To begin with, this is a comic strip.

I had never heard of mess dress uniforms until I was reading Brotherhood of War by Griffin.

He described them, complete to the braids on the sleeve which showed rank.

it never would have occurred to me to wonder about Air Force mess dress, until I saw this comic and thought, "he screwed the pooch again. Her rank is supposed to be under sleeve not her shoulder." Then I thought a little bit and said, "Hmmm. That's Army. She's Air Force. Maybe air force does it different."

So I asked what I thought was a simple question. IS THIS DEPICTED CORRECTLY?

And what is the first answer?

IT'S A COMIC STRIP.

Funny. There was this long thread within the past couple of days about why John Wayne wears a 45/70 in his cartridge belt. And nobody said IT'S A MOVIE.

Probably because everyone was aware that it was a movie.

So from now on, if I have a question about whether something I saw on television or a movie, or read in a book, would actually work, I need to preface my question in 20 point type bolded underlined in red.

I AM AWARE THIS IS NOT REAL

Because I got to tell you folks, that gets old. It's not funny. It's not helpful. It's not intelligent.

Actually it's pretty damn stupid.

image.thumb.png.3938bda3db8be2d432d179f0b3d2da0e.png

Just to be clear -- you were asking if a guy who draws purple-headed pointy-eared women in comic strips was correctly illustrating the details of how rank is worn on a USAF female mess dress uniform?

Here is the official guidance. Google would probably cause less stress than being reminded it's a comic strip.

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

At least he finally got her wearing oak leaves. Only took about six years.

You've been reading this comic for 6 years?

32 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

You've been reading this comic for 6 years?

9, actually. It started in 2011.

How long you reckon folks been reading Blondie/Dick Tracy/Pogo/Peanuts/? some of those strips have been running 50 or 60 years.

Simmer, dude. You know we love you. :)

And just look at the valuable edification your getting in military.
It appears that the Elven-eared, amaranthine-tressed beauty is wearing army greens in the first pic, thus opening another tangent. Which branch is she actually in? Is she a special agent with numerous identities who slides chameleon like among the armed services? 

Here are my two kopeks worth (please research the value of a kopek today).  Undoubtedly someone pointed out rank and uniform errors to the author within the first year of publication. The author had so little respect for his readers that he did not make corrections until he needed to put his character in a different uniform.

that is my opinion of course, but also in my opinion, if I think the author does not respect me as a reader, I will put him on the “dead to me“ list.

9 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Here are my two kopeks worth (please research the value of a kopek today).  Undoubtedly someone pointed out rank and uniform errors to the author within the first year of publication. The author had so little respect for his readers that he did not make corrections until he needed to put his character in a different uniform.

that is my opinion of course, but also in my opinion, if I think the author does not respect me as a reader, I will put him on the “dead to me“ list.

We would only be in the less than 1% of readers who would know or care. Actually I don’t think I care either as it’s a comic strip. Pure fantasy. I used to read Dick Tracy as a kid. Chester Gould set the realism bar pretty low.  :D

Maximillia Leander from GrrlPower is quite the gal...  

At 6′ 1″ tall with purple hair and purple eyes, she looks quite tough.  Based on the purple hair, I'd say she was a stereotypical rabid feminist.  As a 34 year old LTC, she is a bit younger than the average LTC especially considering she enlisted right out of high school...
...she must have gone to OCS.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

And just look at the valuable dedication your getting in military.

The valuable dedication?

Was that supposed to be education, and otto got involved?

8 minutes ago, Alpo said:

The valuable dedication?

Was that supposed to be education, and otto got involved?

Edification actually.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

It appears that the Elven-eared, amaranthine-tressed beauty is wearing army greens in the first pic,

Tell you the truth I'm not sure what she's supposed to be wearing in that first pic. I was just trying to get a good close-up of her shoulder board, but here is the way she's dressed when we first meet her in the comic.

2011-05-02-GP0038.jpg

Maybe she took a page from George Patton's playbook. She's the commander, so she dresses the way she wants to.

1 minute ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Are you suppose to wear shoes playing golf?

Huh, I never knew that.

Let me guess,

Marine?

Bob when I got out in 1970 the dress shirt was blue like you said, but white shirts could be used for formal dress.

9 hours ago, Kulshan 20262 said:

Bob when I got out in 1970 the dress shirt was blue like you said, but white shirts could be used for formal dress.

Yeah. But I don’t think the grumpy officer with the button down collar is at a formal affair. I could be wrong.Don’t know his rank. But maybe 07s and above can wear button down shirts. ;) Maybe not.

Archived