SASS Wire Forum

Writings from those of the West

I'm reading the Life of Tom Horn right now on loan through the university library program.  I'm loving reading about a man that did near everything, even with his potential personal embellishments.  Saw a YouTube video awhile back about Teddy Roosevelt's diaries, recounting a Sasquatch tale told by a mountain trapper to a young Roosevelt.

Any of you have any suggestions for others that also wrote about their experiences?

The Oregon Trail by Francis Parkman is one of a few first person accounts of the west in what would have been the fur trade days 1840’s. It is the account of a young man from a wealthy family and it reveals as much about the attitudes of the time and the class of the writer as it does about the west. Worth a read.

Tim McCoy Remembers the West is good.

The Oregon Trail by Rinker Buck is a very good read about undertaking the journey in modern time with period correct wagon and trailer and mule teams. A lot of history and I learned quite a bit of what I was taught in grade school might not have been how it was.

32 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

The Oregon Trail by Rinker Buck is a very good read about undertaking the journey in modern time with period correct wagon and trailer and mule teams. A lot of history and I learned quite a bit of what I was taught in grade school might not have been how it was.

An excellent read!!!!  An extraordinary, detailed look at wagon construction, hardware, mule and team handling and long-distance wagon travel.  And an entertaining look at the relationships between two very different brothers and their father.  History brought to life!

I have loaned this book more than any other in my library.

LL

Their are 2 books on Tom Horn. Different slant in each. Interesting to read both. I have around 500 books on the old West. Some I have read more than once. If I had a list I would share it. Several on the Battle of the Little Big Horn but I will buy no more on this subject as there is no new info so it is all guesswork. None of what I have is fiction.

We Pointed Them North by E.C. Abbott is a first-hand account of a real cowboy trailing cattle north to Montana. He wrote it in the 1930's as he approached 80 years old. A great insight to the cattle drives of the late 1800's.

Six Years With the Texas Rangers by James B. Gillett is a similar first-hand story of the life of a Texas Ranger from 1875-1881. Again written in the 1920's in his sixties.

Both have some very interesting insights to their professions and life in the old west.

Empire of the Summer Moon by S. C. Gwynne is a study of the Comanches , and Quanah Parker.  It is a modern researched book , though , from 2010.

The Life of Billy Dixon by Olive K. Dixon is a pretty good read also.

Rex :D

Hubby's great-great (I forget if it is one great or two) grandfather co-authored a book that was first published in 1924. Author: Jessie Brown and A.M. Willard, Book: Black Hills Trails. He was a "shotgun messenger" for Wells Fargo out of Deadwood in the 1870s. Later he was elected sheriff of Sturgis.

You can download it free at the following Website. https://archive.org/stream/blackhillstrails00brow/blackhillstrails00brow_djvu.txt

If you have Kindle, you can buy it at Amazon. Or, they have a hardcover for $45.  I bought two first editions from https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/title/the-black-hills-trails/author/jesse-brown-and-a-m-willard/

Archived