SASS Wire Forum

is it legal to Armor All shot gun shells

Dirty Dog Doug

my SxS is well tuned but the Armor All shell "seem" to fly out better not like the .007second   matters but is it legal 

let here stories of bike seat that go Armor Alled 

Legal - yep.   Fixes much?   Sometimes, and not.  Makes shells slip out of some folks hands?  Seen it.

Good luck, GJ

You are probably better off with good old Johnson's Paste Wax.

Apply the wax to a soft rag and simply wipe down the shell after you have checked it for proper sizing.

Waved shells are not slippery to grab and will help with smoothness of chamber release.

This was standard procedure back in the day when shells were made from paper. Waxed shells would not swell when exposed to moisture.

58 minutes ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

my SxS is well tuned but the Armor All shell "seem" to fly out better not like the .007second   matters but is it legal 

let here stories of bike seat that go Armor Alled 

Shotgun shells - Yes.

As for the other...

I grew up in Michigan; sometime about 1984; my local motorcycle dealer (M&M Honda/ Yamaha in Kalamazoo, Mi) was closing out leftover bikes for year end.

I lucked into a fantastic year end close out on a little Yamaha Cafe racer - but purchasing a bike in January means you get to look at it for a few months before riding season.

So the weather warms and snow melts.

My bike, which had been in the garage of my mom and dad's house for a few months is rolled outside and given a bath. 

Making it ready for it's first serious ride.

I finish up - washing, waxing, armor calling the sidewalls of the tires - 

Black and yellow freedom shining in the sun.

I go inside for something; doesn't matter why. 

While I'm inside - my mom arrives home from work - tells me how pretty the bike is and so forth.

I grab my helmet and take off.

My parents lived on a un-improved gravel road - so slow and careful making it out to the main road.

To the left - nice flat straight away.

To the right - an immediate set of dips and esses to drag the knee.

I twist the throttle and head right.

Feeling my way carefully for a turn or two - then the test.  A deep sweeping turn with banking and plenty of space to wind it out. 

Drop two gears, crank the throttle and see how pretty the pegs will spark.

Well, that's the plan anyway...

I leaned into that curve; acceleration and centrifugal force feeding all my senses - shifting weight from one side of the seat to the other...

And then pretty much continuing that slide pretty near completely off the bike.

My dear mother had come home.

Looked at my gorgeous bike gleaming in the sun.

And decided that everything looked really good and shiny - except apparently I had "forgotten" to polish the seat. 

Unbeknownst to me - she had grabbed the rag and the Armor All and took care of it.

It was a slow and careful ride back home to get out the rubbing alcohol to clean the seat and calmly ask my mom why she had finished my project for me.

There are pictures in our photo album of me wiping the seat down to remove the Armor All.  My mom still thinks it's funny.

Some guys like to use Pam (non stick cooking spray). It will dry and still be slick, the Armor All stays moist and can attract sand and grit. This is in turn put into the chambers of your shotgun, defeating the purpose of the Armor All.

If I understand your situation correctly...... would Hornady ONE SHOT work for you?   Its a dry lube

that helps to greatly reduce friction on cases during resizing.

..........Widder

42 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

If I understand your situation correctly...... would Hornady ONE SHOT work for you?   Its a dry lube

that helps to greatly reduce friction on cases during resizing.

..........Widder

On my brass SG shells I use ONE SHOT.  After loading 25 I lay them out give them a quick spray roll'em over another quick shot and let them dry.  They come out of the gun like greased lightening, now if I could only shoot that fast :lol:   :FlagAm: 

Been using armor-all on rag to wipe them down since I started. Cleans them up nice and no issues shucking. Can't say they have ever felt damp or attracted dust, even when dropped. YMMV. Read it here many moons ago!

I keep  rag sprayed with ballistol on the tray on top of my gun cart and rub my shotguns around on before I put them in my belt loops.  Also I got a double ended brass wire brush from the bar b q pit accessory area of our hardware store and bent it just a little scrub my double barrel a stroke or before each stage. The brush sells for $6

Thanks for all the different ideas 

I wipe them  with wet rag then polish them dry .

I mostly grab the base to load so slippery has not been a issue

Then my GFs smart grandkid sez..... Practice more 

I agree with TN Mongo, I'd rather not drop my shells during a stage because they're too slick to hold onto. 

After a vigorous scrubbing of the chambers with a bronze chamber brush I use a silicon spray lubricant on a cotton chamber swab. Takes care of any sticking problem I've ever had.

My better half uses it all the time. Never fails her. Some times I use it on my 97. Works ok.

I polished the heck out of my chambers and use Winchester AA shells. Flitz polish on a bore mop does wonders.

One things for sure, if you shag brass you'll know who uses it.

I try to make sure I pick up everything I can for the shooter but I really don't like retrieving hulls that have stuff sprayed on them so that I get it all over my hands.

ALL of the ABOVE is SILLY except for the really cool Bike story.  Greased shotgun shells ain't gonna win ya no Brass Ring.  Trust Me.

It is fun to watch someone with greased shotgun shells and sweaty hands though.  Hilarious actually.  Keep up the entertainment B)

2 hours ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

When I first started shooting cowboy I saw a guy putting chap stick on his shotgun shells. 

Did that prevent the mouth of the hull from getting cracks?  :lol:

3 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

One things for sure, if you shag brass you'll know who uses it.

I try to make sure I pick up everything I can for the shooter but I really don't like retrieving hulls that have stuff sprayed on them so that I get it all over my hands.

I only wipe off my shells with a rag dampened with Armor-All and from my experience it drys. I have never felt any sort of coating when used and dust certainly doesn't stick to them. They just look clean! No dirtier than anyone else's when they arrive at the unloading table.

6 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

It is fun to watch someone with greased shotgun shells and sweaty hands though.  Hilarious actually.  Keep up the entertainment B)

anyone else want a bowl of popcorn?  I'm just gunna sit here and watch this unravel..............

I've only star crimped a small amount of shotgun shells.   But I found putting a bit of Johnson's Paste Wax on the crimp area before crimping made for a better crimp.  Then wiping them down, cleaned the outside and restored the skuffed and burned areas somewhat.  

4 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Did that prevent the mouth of the hull from getting cracks?  :lol:

I was concerned that they might not be kissable after the match.

Turns out Grandkid was right Practice!!! 

"make sure you do everything the same everytime"

I made up 20 more practice shells . Not even 4 hours and I am getting faster than the Armor All shells

Archived