SASS Wire Forum

Hello all. I'm a newbie again!

I have been away from SASS for quite a few years. Over a decade. Before facebook! Fortunately both of my previous Alias are still available and I'm back in.

It's going to take a while to assemble my outfits, rigs and all since I lost it all, probably over the next year.

But I'm a patient guy.

One question though: originally 45LC was kind of the go to gauge for all shooting (excepting shotguns of course). Now I'm seeing others. Are there advantages of the other types. I dont want to spend thousands and get everything 45LC if I'm setting myself up for some kind of disadvantage. In short, please catch me up a bit on whats change during my time away.

All opinions will be much appreciated.

Rik, aka

Pinkerton Floyd, and The Westworld Gunslinger

If your looking to shoot a bunch get .38/357.  Its just plain cheaper when you load 10s of thousands of rounds a year it really helps

Unless you want to shoot classic cowboy. Then stick with your .45s

Hi......  

Caliber .45 Colt (aka .45 Long Colt) is a good caliber for CAS.  A LOT of cowboys shoot .45 Colt for their own reasons, unrelated to cost.

BUT, as OLG and Evil said, caliber .38 Special is far and away the most widely used caliber round used in CAS/SASS.

CO$T iS the main reason.  .38 Special brass and lead is significantly less expensive and far more common than .45 or some other caliber components.

Whatever you settle on using, I suggest you use Federal Magnum Primers.  Federal primers are “softer” (easier to being “set off“) and the magnum primers provide extra “flash” to set off possible “loose-in-the-case” powder in the reduced-power CAS loads generally used.  Magnum primers contribute zero (unnoticeable) additional recoil.

You can get suggested loading data right here on the Wire; just ask.

For instance, my CAS .38 Special load is:

—  3.1 grains TiteGroup powder, 125 grain RNFP bullet, Federal Small Pistol Primer.

This or something similar, is a very common .38 Special CAS load.

I say that you should decide what you want to shoot....what grabs your interest the most.  To many, the caliber they use is a significant part of the mystique of Cowboy Action Shooting.

I suggest you listen to any suggestions you get and think on it.  

I have been discussing caliber and loadings.  Guns are something else; and an even more opinionated topic!  :)

Cat Brules

7 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

and/or you are also interested in shooting Wild Bunch where a big bore rifle ( > .40 ) is needed.

Equanimous

Btw, looking at your profile, you should either change your picture or your gender as Brynner doesn't appear that female to me  ;)

Welcome back!

What caliber?  Depends on YOUR your goals or financial abilities.  If the monitory budget is a major concern, 38.  If you want the Iightess reloads, don't go with 45.  45 might be a edge hit where a 38 would be a miss.  If you like putting the targets to fear then full loaded 44-40 or 45.  

I shot .45's and .44-40's with and without black powder and I went back to .38's which is what I started with originally. Best move I made was to go back to the .38 spl. I highly recommend it.;)

Somewhere around 15 years ago I bought several buckets of brass from Winter Range. It was about 2/3 .38 and about 1/3 all the rest combined. I couldn't say what it is now, but it is the most popular caliber because it is cheap and works for black powder or smokeless. As noted, it won't work for Classic Cowgirl or Wild Bunch, but that leaves a lot of categories wide open.

.38 Spl has always been the most popular cartridge in cowboy action shooting.  It's just that most 45 Colt shooters are more vocal!  Kinda like certain politicians... tell a lie (i'ts the best), often and loud enough, even others start to believe it!  :ph34r:  So loudly that even some folks shooting 38s tell everyone they're using 45s!  :P

I thank everyone for their replies!

I think I will have to watch, learn and listen a bit before making my selection. You have all gave me so much good information.

I have no interest in loading my own (yet). 

I am now a man (again).

I have forgotten so much, (like the wild bunch).

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedules and helping a guy out and making him a little bit smarter. 

Be well all!

Before you spend your first dollar in outfitting yourself you should attend a few of the local matches and take a look at what others are using and you can get a lead on vendors for the various items you'll need to outfit yourself. 

Kajun

On 5/27/2020 at 8:42 PM, evil dogooder said:

If your looking to shoot a bunch get .38/357.  Its just plain cheaper when you load 10s of thousands of rounds a year it really helps

Would regular sass events be considered "classic cowboy" .... ?

20 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Hi......  

Caliber .45 Colt (aka .45 Long Colt) is a good caliber for CAS.  A LOT of cowboys shoot .45 Colt for their own reasons, unrelated to cost.

BUT, as OLG and Evil said, caliber .38 Special is far and away the most widely used caliber round used in CAS/SASS.

CO$T iS the main reason.  .38 Special brass and lead is significantly less expensive and far more common than .45 or some other caliber components.

Whatever you settle on using, I suggest you use Federal Magnum Primers.  Federal primers are “softer” (easier to being “set off“) and the magnum primers provide extra “flash” to set off possible “loose-in-the-case” powder in the reduced-power CAS loads generally used.  Magnum primers contribute zero (unnoticeable) additional recoil.

You can get suggested loading data right here on the Wire; just ask.

For instance, my CAS .38 Special load is:

—  3.1 grains TiteGroup powder, 125 grain RNFP bullet, Federal Small Pistol Primer.

This or something similar, is a very common .38 Special CAS load.

I say that you should decide what you want to shoot....what grabs your interest the most.  To many, the caliber they use is a significant part of the mystique of Cowboy Action Shooting.

I suggest you listen to any suggestions you get and think on it.  

I have been discussing caliber and loadings.  Guns are something else; and an even more opinionated topic!  :)

Cat Brules

Thank you for your insights!

18 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

and/or you are also interested in shooting Wild Bunch where a big bore rifle ( > .40 ) is needed.

Equanimous

Btw, looking at your profile, you should either change your picture or your gender as Brynner doesn't appear that female to me  ;)

Switched. Feel much better now.

3 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Before you spend your first dollar in outfitting yourself you should attend a few of the local matches and take a look at what others are using and you can get a lead on vendors for the various items you'll need to outfit yourself. 

Kajun

I will definitely do that! Thanks kindly.

I am sure you know where Waterman is , Kishwaukee Valley Regulators shoot the 1st Sunday of the month .

Our 1st shoot of the year is 6/7 you are most welcome . Within about a 2hr drive of Sandwich there is a shoot

every Saturday & Sunday from April to November .

I will P.M. my phone number give me a call I will be glad to help you get restarted .

Lew

7 hours ago, The Westworld Gunslinger said:

Would regular sass events be considered "classic cowboy" .... ?

Classic cowboy is a category where its required to shoot .40 and  above, with specific dress and firearm requirements

Archived