SASS Wire Forum

My Annealing Update

Tequila Shooter

After reading everything I could find on the interweb and reading the posts here on the Wire I decided to try annealing.  I shoot .45 Colt (pistol and rifle) with APP and was getting a ton of fouling in my 1873 rifle.  I built a basic annealing set up, bought some 750* Tempilaq and tried it with 100 clean cases.  After annealing the 100 cases I loaded them with my normal load and took off to the range.  After running all the rounds through the rifle I went home for the big reveal.  I was pleasantly surprised to see how much of a difference, the internals had almost no soot or blow back.  I want to thank everyone who encouraged me to try annealing, it adds more time on the front end but boy it saves time in cleaning.  The cost for what I built not including the torches or Tempilaq was about $15.00 money well spent IMHO.  

47 minutes ago, heckofagator said:

what's the Tempilaq for? To see if you are annealing long enough?  I was thinking about getting an Annealeez and I guess this helps you determine the time under flame?

The Temilaq is a heat paint, it comes in different temperatures, I’m using 750*.  Like I posted earlier I made mine maybe slower but saved $. 

56 minutes ago, heckofagator said:

what's the Tempilaq for? To see if you are annealing long enough?  I was thinking about getting an Annealeez and I guess this helps you determine the time under flame?

It lets you know if you are reaching or exceeding the correct temperature on the brass. I only use it when I set up to anneal. Once set up I run them through. I use the 650 degree Tempilac. I use a Bench Source machine and can do hundreds in no time. I bought the machine for my precision rifle rounds but it does all kinds of brass.

IMG_1678.jpeg

Archived