SASS Wire Forum

Rifle reloading for my Bob UPDATE

Bought some Nosler brass for the Bob so can get consistency. Started by measuring them and length was 2.222-2.226 with one 2.216. Case length by book is 2.233 with trim to 2.223. Ok size them to see if how they came in to same length. Still bit much variation. Set my trim pro up 2.224 most trimmed very little some full clean trim. One case I cut to short at 2.212 so it became a set up only case and found another mouth was gouged one side another setup only. 2 cases out of 100 ok I can live with. Just for reference I measured a new Hornady round case was 2.220 fired case was 2.229. I have seen pistol cases short of trim length so usually I don’t bother. Is this normal with most manufacturers? 
So I primed the 98 good cases first time using a RCBS hand primer. Pain to get set up but I like way it works. Before I would always do most everything on my Dillon but small batch rifle that not always best choice. Now time work up test loads to find which powder charge and bullet combination work best.

Have fun. I enjoy finding new loads. I've been lucky so far by loading mid-range to a tick below maximum loads. Max loads have never done as well for me no matter the caliber.

19 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I guess I missed sumpin'. What's a Bob?

JHC

A nickname for the famed 257 Roberts round.

For hunting rounds that little a variation wouldn't bother me in the least.  Its when they get too long that things get sticky.

Took out first batch of test rounds of Barnes and Sierras using RL19 Sierras started getting good at top charge. No pressure signs so could bump a little higher.  Not real happy but could be good enough for hunting with a little under 2 inches at 100 yards. Going try H4350 next good reviews for it and books seem to prefer it. 

Once you get that worked out you might try different primers starting with CCI BR-2

1 hour ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Took out first batch of test rounds of Barnes and Sierras using RL19 Sierras started getting good at top charge. No pressure signs so could bump a little higher.  Not real happy but could be good enough for hunting with a little under 2 inches at 100 yards. Going try H4350 next good reviews for it and books seem to prefer it. 

33 minutes ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Once you get that worked out you might try different primers starting with CCI BR-2

So far I’m using CCI 200 Large Rifle I also have some Federal I could try

Archived