SASS Wire Forum

Can buscadero holsters in other stages

Irish Pat

no

36 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

I am considering buying a buscadero holster for my bad shoulder as the pistols will be lower. Will I be required to shoot B western?

There's a feller that shoots locally that makes his own leather. 6 or 8 years ago he did just what you're talking about, only lower. Revolvers are down on his thighs as that makes the draw of the guns not have to come up so far to clear leather.

Category requirement for BW but just your choice of holsters otherwise.  Actually, for BW holsters do not have to be Buscadero but butts of revolvers can not be above lower belt margin.  Many holster makers offer "drop" holsters that meet the BW rule, yet are not fixed as a Buscadero rig.

Any good holster maker can make regular holsters that have the same drop as a buscadero rig.  I have also made separate "drops" (a leather adapter that lowers holsters on the gun belt) that allow a shooter to use his current holsters.  Check with your local holster maker, or ask some of your cowboy buddies.  They can probably recommend someone in your area that can help you out. 

A set of "drops" would be much less expensive than investing in a whole new rig.  I've made buscadero belts, but I'm not a big fan because you cannot adjust the position of your holsters on your belt.

Billy was just a little faster on the "draw" than me.

Only category not allowed to use a buscadero rig or dropped holsters - Classic Cowboy and Cowgirl.

Good luck, GJ 

9 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Category requirement for BW but just your choice of holsters otherwise.  Actually, for BW holsters do not have to be Buscadero but butts of revolvers can not be above lower belt margin.  Many holster makers offer "drop" holsters that meet the BW rule, yet are not fixed as a Buscadero rig.

Actually ….Butt of revolver has to be below the TOP of the belt for B Western;)

19 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

A minor correction.  From the shooters handbook in the BW section.

Leather Rules:

- Buscadero holster rigs or drop holster rigs are required. All revolvers must be

carried below the top of the gun belt.

My rig has drop holsters that had the pistol buts just above the belt.  I cut a slot in the belt that moved the holsters down 2 inches.  Now the pistols are well below the top of the belt.  I can put them back in the original position and the slots are covered.  Now I can go either way., Classic or BW.

6 minutes ago, Captain Clark said:

Actually ….Butt of revolver has to be below the TOP of the belt for B Western;)

Should have looked that up  before letting memory (often wrong) take control. :o

I appreciated correcting from you, CS, and G Joe.

2 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Should have looked that up  before letting memory (often wrong) take control. :o

I appreciated correcting from you and Joe.

No problem.... I often "misremember" lots of stuff!:lol:

2 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

I am considering buying a buscadero holster for my bad shoulder as the pistols will be lower. Will I be required to shoot B western?

No, I shot a Buscadero rig in 49'r, Duelist and B-Western. As Garrison Joe said the only category you can't use it in is Classic Cowboy.

Randy

I make my own leather and have problems with both shoulders ( 8 surgeries between them so far)  .

I have dropped my holsters 3" and while I love my 71/2 inch barrels, I have  gone to 51/2 and 43/4 inch barreled guns

22 hours ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Billy was just a little faster on the "draw" than me.

I've shot with both of you and you are right, he is faster on the draw.:D

1 hour ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Tombstone,

Regretfully,  there are a whole herd of people that are faster than I am.  ;)

Me too!:D

23 hours ago, Chancy Shot, SASS #67163 said:

A minor correction.  From the shooters handbook in the BW section.

Leather Rules:

- Buscadero holster rigs or drop holster rigs are required. All revolvers must be

carried below the top of the gun belt.

My rig has drop holsters that had the pistol buts just above the belt.  I cut a slot in the belt that moved the holsters down 2 inches.  Now the pistols are well below the top of the belt.  I can put them back in the original position and the slots are covered.  Now I can go either way., Classic or BW.

Smart man, I probably would've hiked my belt and pants above my belly button like this

322453271_030e8b048c3819b14274a17457c63787(1).jpg.f3a079991b30ece27c383f48f231e1c9.jpg

B)  :D

Archived