SASS Wire Forum

Leave us suppose

Alpo

You have decided that you want a two-tone 1911.

Would you druther have a dark frame with a stainless top?

IMG_20200527_075740.thumb.jpg.6c859f8f147339962589f20555a00ac4.jpg

Or a stainless frame with a dark top?

IMG_20200527_075706.thumb.jpg.f5a052e180f9d21e1d54f2bbcdd0466e.jpg

Another board, and a guy is raving over the new Springfield Ronin. I followed his link. It is a shiny stainless frame with a blued top.

That does sort of make sense. You handle the frame more than you handle the slide, so having a corrosion resistant frame is not a bad plan.

But it looked funny to me. Then I remembered my 22, but it is a matte finish stainless, not shiny.

I normally prefer Blue bottom, enhanced with good looking grips.

Stainless (matt finish) top with BLACK SIGHTS.   This makes a good contrast in its 'color scheme'.

But I also presently own a couple Ruger Mark IV pistols that have been customized.  Both are

stainless bottom with black Hogue rubber grips.

And both have black 'Volquartsen' uppers.   And both have stainless bolts, which make a good contrast.

..........Widder

I had to pull up an image and at first glance, I thought it was a Kimber Custom II. Regardless, I like the look. If the Springfield finish is close to what is depicted in hand, then I would opt for it, visually.

Springfield Armory:

Unknown.jpeg.d522efe09d58d2feb4ca28229c280ea6.jpeg

Kimber

Unknown-1.jpeg.878310a90565c9d2be6e9f4df8ccdd5e.jpeg

The Springfield turned me off because it was so damn tactikewl.

It's got serrations in the front of the slide. Why would anybody with 1/2 ounce of sense want to put their hand down there by the muzzle of the gun to work the action?

It's got that high-speed low-drag trigger.

A fiber optic front sight.

The rear sight looks like a Novak at first glance, just like the Kimber has. But the front of the rear slight does not slope. It is cut square so you can use the rear sight to cycle the slide if you have to load one handed.

Wooooowwww!!! :o

The fact that the gun comes with these things doesn't annoy me anywhere near as much as the fact that they are pushing these things as reasons you need to buy the gun. These make the gun so much better than any other gun.

Geez Louise.

46 minutes ago, Alpo said:

It's got serrations in the front of the slide. Why would anybody with 1/2 ounce of sense want to put their hand down there by the muzzle of the gun to work the action?

The rear sight looks like a Novak at first glance, just like the Kimber has. But the front of the rear slight does not slope. It is cut square so you can use the rear sight to cycle the slide if you have to load one handed.

The fact that the gun comes with these things doesn't annoy me anywhere near as much as the fact that they are pushing these things as reasons you need to buy the gun. These make the gun so much better than any other gun.

Geez Louise.

The front serrations are pretty common these days, as evidenced by the Kimber in the pic I posted. Like you, I don't understand the purpose. I don't see an issue with the skeletonized trigger, again pretty common. With my eyes, I'm considering putting a fiber optic front sight or something more high visibility on a few of my pistols, especially my Commander. So long as the rear sight works as a sight, I'm happy.

In the end, it's marketing. Use the things to sell the gun. It is getting harder and harder to set guns apart in the industry, especially for 1911s.

7 minutes ago, DocWard said:

In the end, it's marketing. Use the things to sell the gun. It is getting harder and harder to set guns apart in the industry, especially for 1911s.

About the only thing you can do with a 1911 at this point is gonna be cosmetic. Catch the eye, catch the bucks. As you say, it’s marketing. :D

I like both configurations. 

I have a Glock 45 that has those front serrations. At first I thought they might be handy but I can honestly say I have never used them. I tried to see if there was any reason I might need them but, no, they just look nice. That’s it. 
If a manufacturer said “We added front serrations to lighten the slide.” I might buy that but I see no real need for them. 

9 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Front serrations are easier to do a chamber check with. 

Do you mind elaborating? I don't have anything in front of me to do it, so I can only visualize. In trying to picture it, I would either have to grip the gun in such a way that my hand would obscure the chamber, or my hand would be in front of the barrel, which seems a bad idea.

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Geez Louise.

The serrations on the front of the slide are necessary if you have the type of red dot mount the prevents you from gripping the rear of the slide.  There are many professional shooters that need front serrations because of their scope mounts.    I'm sure they would take exception to being tagged as only having an 1/2 ounce of sense.  Also, if you are racking the slide from the front, it is normally done when gun is empty and you are chambering a round, which would be quite safe.

1 hour ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

The serrations on the front of the slide are necessary if you have the type of red dot mount the prevents you from gripping the rear of the slide.  There are many professional shooters that need front serrations because of their scope mounts.    I'm sure they would take exception to being tagged as only having an 1/2 ounce of sense.  Also, if you are racking the slide from the front, it is normally done when gun is empty and you are chambering a round, which would be quite safe.

This makes sense. Now I understand why my LGS asked me if I wanted front serrations on the front of my Glock 34 slide when I asked them about doing some milling and installing a reflex site on it. I told them that I didn’t think so but if I do have them do the work I may look at that again. 

As for my G45 the front serrations are a nice “accent”. :D

15 hours ago, DocWard said:

Do you mind elaborating? I don't have anything in front of me to do it, so I can only visualize. In trying to picture it, I would either have to grip the gun in such a way that my hand would obscure the chamber, or my hand would be in front of the barrel, which seems a bad idea.

image.jpeg.d6052160e4038de158d4024f59b28028.jpeg

3 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Duh. Thanks. Not a method I have ever used, since I utilize the rear serrations, and it simply never occurred to me as I was trying to picture different ways. Yes, I had to laugh when I saw the picture.

4 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Thanks for posting this pic.

I use this method frequently BUT, I also use my Right hand Index Finger on the slide at the port area to assist in 'peeping'.

Using the right hand index finger in this fashion seems to allow me better control in the amount of slide movement I want.

..........Widder

Archived