SASS Wire Forum

Book Suggestions

DocWard

A friend asked me for some book recommendations regarding the Vietnam War. Obviously, my first reaction was We Were Soldiers Once, and Young, by Moore and Galloway.

Any other suggestions come to mind? Oh, and for Kindle.

The Rescue Of River City by Drew Dix.

Drew Dix is the first enlisted Special Forces soldier to win the Medal of Honor for his actions in Viet Nam.  The book recounts his actions in defense of Chau Phu.

I am honored that we were high school classmates and we were teammates on the ROTC rifle team.

12 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

The Rescue Of River City by Drew Dix.

Drew Dix is the first enlisted Special Forces soldier to win the Medal of Honor for his actions in Viet Nam.  The book recounts his actions in defense of Chau Phu.

I am honored that we were high school classmates and we were teammates on the ROTC rifle team.

Thanks. I must admit, I thought I would be swimming in suggestions by this point, given the crowd.

Chickenhawk, by Robert Mason.  

More than half a million copies of Chickenhawk have been sold since it was first published in 1983. Now with a new afterword by the author and photographs taken by him during the conflict, this straight-from-the-shoulder account tells the electrifying truth about the helicopter war in Vietnam. This is Robert Mason’s astounding personal story of men at war. A veteran of more than one thousand combat missions, Mason gives staggering descriptions that cut to the heart of the combat experience: the fear and belligerence, the quiet insights and raging madness, the lasting friendships and sudden death—the extreme emotions of a "chickenhawk" in constant danger.

Available on Kindle at Amazon.

If you don't mind a novel by somebody who was there, Common Valor by Curtis Rich, otherwise known as Captain George Baylor, is pretty dang good. 

4 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

I will mention it to him. Always a good reminder that there were more than just U.S. troops involved.

Outlaws in Vietnam  By David Eastman 

An excellent book about flying helicopters in combat.  Reading it was like reliving my tour.

The Sky Soldiers by Victor Beaver  

Hard to find, and I don't always agree with the author, but this gives a good look at day to day operations of an assault helicopter company supporting the ARVN 9th Infantry Division.  Also covers Warrant Officer training and transitioning to the Hueycobra.

Duffield

Archived