SASS Wire Forum

Will these work for basic costume rules?

Yes.

Costume? Costume?? ;)
Ya mean duds? :)

You’re going to be on your feet for several hours so it’s a good idea to get quality leather, both in footwear and holsters.

29 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

You’re going to be on your feet for several hours so it’s a good idea to get quality leather, both in footwear and holsters.

AMEN! Agree 100%

Yes, those boots are fine. Double H boots have a good reputation. I have never tried them but came very close to buying a pair last year. 

Nice looking pair of boots, they look close to what I wear except mine have a taller shaft and square toes.

Mine are Noconas.   BTW they are good for SASS.

AG

5 minutes ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

They fit like a beaut, and I’m looking forward to observing my first match this Saturday in these duds.

Observing? Don't you mean shooting? As long as you can show that you can safely handle the guns, I'm sure you'l have half the group wanting you to shoot their guns.

5 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Costume? Costume?? ;)
Ya mean duds? :)

Yes!  Your boots will work. 
And yes, “Period Clothing,” is what cowboys wear.  Even B-Western is not a “costume”.  It’s “period” Hollywood Western movie clothing...unique.  All serious stuff for CAS.  To me, anyway.

Cat Brules

2 hours ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Observing? Don't you mean shooting?

Even Grandson #2, underage, was promised he could shoot Grandad's colts after the match, if he picked up brass & reset shotgun targets.

The clothing requirement for anything other than the costume classes is very basic.

Jeans and a long sleeve shirt with an open collar (no button down collars) along with those boots have you covered.

A hat isn't really required but is a reasonable addition.  I figure a broad brim hat is a piece of safety if you are shooting a top eject rifle like a toggle link.  It will guard the back of your neck and your collar and keep hot brass from finding a way into your shirt.

One extra that I suggest is a vest with pockets.  Once you have your gun belt on, you can't get to your pants pockets, so the vest gives you someplace to keep things you want to keep handy.  I also keep a half a dozen extra shotgun shells in one of the pockets.

All but two categories have no rules for costuming, save for dressing western.  B Western and Classic Cowboy have some significant costuming requirements.  Besides those, all you have to do is look western, and modern western counts!  Shirts are supposed to be long sleeved, but I've never seen anyone turned away from a match for wearing short sleeves.

So you can wear those boots everyday, and to the match. 

Those style boots are not required for anything except B Western. Make sure they fit well as I have experienced and read here on the wire and why you didn't see cowboys walking around much. They are designed for riding horses. Some people find them uncomfortable walking and standing for hours.
Ike

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

If ever there was a need for a mask.

:D

:ph34r:

You're an evil man, Hendo!  Funny as hell, but still evil. :D  You just might give ol' Whiskey Hicks a complex or somethin'.

24 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

You're an evil man, Hendo!  Funny as hell, but still evil. :D  You just might give ol' Whiskey Hicks a complex or somethin'.

Marshal, you are too kind.

I'm sure Mr. Hicks will be just fine now that he has a good pair of boots to go with that mighty fine hat. 

After a while you may can the cowboy boots for Ropers but your on the right track

Archived