SASS Wire Forum

1897 action slide help - update

On an original Winchester 1897 E model. When the action slide is closed to the fire position, you can just pull the slide to open it back up without pushing the slide release button. It should not do this. What part is worn or out of adjustment?

Thank You :)

R.J. McRuger

1 hour ago, R.J. McRuger, SASS #46061 said:

On an original Winchester 1897 E model. When the action slide is closed to the fire position, you can just pull the slide to open it back up without pushing the slide release button. It should not do this. What part is worn or out of adjustment?

R.J. McRuger

If the hammer is down that is perfectly normal. Are you saying that with the hammer cocked it does it?

There are multiple parts to the slide release mechanism. From memory, the button pushes a plunger that pivots the slide lock bar on a pivot pin which has a spring that returns it to the locked position.

The rod on the left side of the carrier stops the forearm slide from going rearward and opening the bolt when the hammer is cocked.  The hammer is allowed to fall after the carrier comes up and the sear releases the hammer striking the firing pin.  If it will fire before the carrier is all the way up it is a problem at the trigger / carrier, at the rear.  If the slide just operates without the hammer forward the rods may have been removed. 

If the rod in RD's picture in-between the punch marks will move outward it should work.  Will it fire out of battery?

38 minutes ago, Lefty Wheeler said:

The rod on the left side of the carrier stops the forearm slide from going rearward and opening the bolt when the hammer is cocked.  The hammer is allowed to fall after the carrier comes up and the sear releases the hammer striking the firing pin.  If it will fire before the carrier is all the way up it is a problem at the trigger / carrier, at the rear.  If the slide just operates without the hammer forward the rods may have been removed. 

Yes, the slide can go back with the hammer cocked. The rod is there.

34 minutes ago, Lefty Wheeler said:

If the rod in RD's picture in-between the punch marks will move outward it should work.  Will it fire out of battery?

Will it fire out of battery? Have not tried it. Rod does not have pinch marks. I will have to check if it moves or stuck.

Lefty you gave me some things to check, Thank You R.J.

That black spring just above the rod with the screw in it pushes the rod outward. It may be broke not pushing the rod.

15 minutes ago, Ranger Dan said:

Good video, more things to check tonight, Thank you R.J.

11 minutes ago, Lefty Wheeler said:

That black spring just above the rod with the screw in it pushes the rod outward. It may be broke not pushing the rod.

I am leaning that way. I will have to check tonight after work. Thank you, R.J.

On 5/26/2020 at 11:59 AM, R.J. McRuger, SASS #46061 said:

R.J. McRuger

My findings are the action slide tip that slides in the carrier is worn. When pulling back the slide, (when cocked) the action slide lock slips past the tip, resulting in being able to pull the slide back without pushing the release button. So off to a gunsmith for a weld and tip shaping job. ;)

R.J. McRuger

1 hour ago, R.J. McRuger, SASS #46061 said:

My findings are the action slide tip that slides in the carrier is worn. When pulling back the slide, (when cocked) the action slide lock slips past the tip, resulting in being able to pull the slide back without pushing the release button. So off to a gunsmith for a weld and tip shaping job. ;)

R.J. McRuger

If you need a new slide, I have one or two.

1 minute ago, Yul Lose said:

If you need a new slide, I have one or two.

Thanks Yul, But will a 16ga fit a 12ga E takedown? :D

This is Molly's gun and we have had problems with the slide before.

I think you are right about a new slide. My understanding that all slides are not the same though.

This is a 12ga E take down solid forearm (not the 3 screw) type.

Thanks R.J.

The slides are the same or so I’ve been told by TL and Jim Bowie. The mag tube and bolt are different. I could send one up to Cajon on Saturday and you could try it out.

5 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

The slides are the same or so I’ve been told by TL and Jim Bowie. The mag tube and bolt are different. I could send one up to Cajon on Saturday and you could try it out.

Thanks Yul!

Please check your PM

Archived