SASS Wire Forum

Interesting table design.

Sedalia Dave

No need to weld the chains -  but turnbuckles on the corner chains would be effective.  Also allow for seasonal adjustments.  ;)

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am betting it's not  stable  at all.

Actually they are very stable, especially the four cornered ones. Here is a three corner one that I 3D printed that is held together with thread. I’m working on one now that will be held together with 1/16” steel cable and will feature fractal wood burning, it will be a four cornered unit. The three cornered one in the picture will hold about 5Lbs. if it’s balanced correctly. The one that I’m building will hold substantially more.

4B74AD8F-D6DD-4A95-BC88-82EBBA108A93.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

What keeps them from moving side to side? They look like they would swing. 

Tension.

82F6B531-BB5F-4A29-9237-5E3A3F3A187F.jpeg

1 minute ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

my guess would be that any movement would be the result of flex in the support frame.

B)

To a certain degree you are correct. If you’ll notice the two arms in the interior of the blue one that I posted are quite flexible, they are 3D printed after all. When you press down on the top, with your finger or thumb in pretty much the exact center you can see the arms flex. The table in the original OP would have very little flex in that square tubing. If it were built with just two arms in the center there would be much more flex or movement. The chain links are pulling against each other in the four corners and the two opposing chain sections. They call this an impossible table. Most people will look at it and think that the links are welded together right off the bat but they aren’t. There are some Pinterest posters that feature some very interesting impossible tables.

Looked them up on Youtube (tensegrity tables). Might have to try to make a simple one. 

( I am no woodworker! To those that have the old Bill Cosby records, my woodworking skills are similar - put two grooves in it and call it an ashtray).:P

Okay. So it moves like I thought it would. Maybe not a sway but it does move. Something I find annoying in tables. :D

Archived