SASS Wire Forum

$8 a pound....

Ground beef this weekend.....what the heck.....we settled for grilled chicken.

The economics of a buffalo hunt looks more and more acceptable.

17 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

You haven’t looked at all of the costs involved with a buffalo hunt if you think it’s cheaper than $8.00 per pound. 

1 hour ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

It would be an interesting hunt! Probably once in a lifetime!;)

Well, there's always road-kill.

I have some great recipes: 

Smear of Deer; Raccoon Stew; Fricassee of Skunk (You need a lot of artificial flavour for that one!), Squirrel Slouvlaki, Crow Pie and many others.

Local farm is offering grain fed beef, half a carcass for $3.75 per pound.  Whole carcass is $3.50 per pound.  Getting more attractive all the time.

6$ a pound for hamburgers.

I'll also note, that if you see a really good deal on ground beef make sure to check the ingredients.  It may be 100% cow, but there is some extra cow that most people don't eat.  

4 minutes ago, Chantry said:

6$ a pound for hamburgers.

I'll also note, that if you see a really good deal on ground beef make sure to check the ingredients.  It may be 100% cow, but there is some extra cow that most people don't eat.  

What do you mean?

I have noticed that all of a sudden there seems to be  more 73/27 meat to fat ratio than I used to see in the meat coolers in stores. It's pretty bad when 80/20 is hard to find, let alone 93/7, which I rarely buy.

When you buy ground “anything” you are not going to get prime cuts.  The steaks chops are going to be sold as steaks and chops because they bring higher prices.  Same for ground poultry...we’re not getting much breast meat in those nuggets and ground turkey franks.  It doesn’t bother me at all, just be realistic about getting what you pay for.  Cook it thoroughly and enjoy.

10 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

What do you mean?

I have noticed that all of a sudden there seems to be  more 73/27 meat to fat ratio than I used to see in the meat coolers in stores. It's pretty bad when 80/20 is hard to find, let alone 93/7, which I rarely buy.

It's been a while since I bought (and later threw out) that box of hamburgers, but at least one of the other ingredients was cow lungs.  There were some other cow parts included as well, I just don't remember which, just that they weren't normally included in ground beef.

They've been making hotdogs out of Lips and Buttholes for a godawful long time...

...a few "L&B" burgers won't kill anybody.

Thats why God invented condiments - to mask the flavor of cheap meat.

37 minutes ago, Chantry said:

It's been a while since I bought (and later threw out) that box of hamburgers, but at least one of the other ingredients was cow lungs.  There were some other cow parts included as well, I just don't remember which, just that they weren't normally included in ground beef.

Cow lungs are condemned as “inedible for human consumption” at every USDA inspected establishment.  I don’t know where your package originated but it was not a federally inspected plant.  

Lungs and other offal can be used for pet food.  It’s possible you saw lungs listed as an ingredient in a pack of dog burgers.

1 minute ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Cow lungs are condemned as “inedible for human consumption” at every USDA inspected establishment.  I don’t know where your package originated but it was not a federally inspected plant.  

Lungs and other offal can be used for pet food.  It’s possible you saw lungs listed as an ingredient in a pack of dog burgers.

It was definitely in the people food section of Walmart

1 minute ago, Chantry said:

It was definitely in the people food section of Walmart

If so that store is violating Federal law.   You would be doing a public service to report it to the USDA/FSIS hotline:  

1-888-674-6854

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

But its so much fun. :P

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

If so that store is violating Federal law.   You would be doing a public service to report it to the USDA/FSIS hotline:  

1-888-674-6854

It was more then 6 1/2 years ago and I can't say with certainty what was in the those hamburgers, I just know it included parts of the cow that isn't normally included in ground beef.  

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Legal Minds want to know as well.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/25/meatpackers-prices-coronavirus-antitrust-275093

Local livestock raisers are suffering.   Prices are low.  Local livestock auctions have been closed and then opened with the same idiotic rules as many other business like only online auction and then allowing only company buyers in,  etc.  Livestock is somewhat of a perishable commodity.   Farmers market there animals at a certain age weight.  They can't just keep holding on to them.  Sale, at a depressed price or keep feeding them. 

The supply chain system has been knocked sideways and then add hoarding.   Now likely price gouging.   Sawmill Mary says the prices at ALDI seems to be stable but choices limited.  Other stores the prices are up.

I haven't hunted in years. 

I'm lucky and have my own supply of good meat.

Otherwise,

...... at those prices, for my next batch of raw dog I would have to buy actual dog.

I want to know what's up with Mexican cerveza prices. I don't drink much beer, generally whiskey and tequila, but occasionally enjoy the Tecate or Dos Equis. I see it is now over 17 bucks a 12 pack.

Sorry amigo.

The deers I got this past season really make it worth while right now. Still have around 90#'s of meat.:D

9 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Well, there's always road-kill.

I have some great recipes: 

Smear of Deer; Raccoon Stew; Fricassee of Skunk (You need a lot of artificial flavour for that one!), Squirrel Slouvlaki, Crow Pie and many others.

Ive eaten many road killed deer

7 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Did they not tell you...The Buffalo are making a comeback....

Texas Lizard

But not the Buffalo Bills

1 minute ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Ive eaten many road killed deer

Me too. 

Some of them less messed up than those shot.

This reminds me of my Boy Scout days. Our troop butchered a hog every so often so our troop could have biscuits and sausage gravy as well as other cuts. The  older leader whose house we were at and whose equipment (grinder, trays, etc.) we were using had done this for decades. He was butchering the hog and bringing us the cuts to clean up and process. All of the non-choice stuff was ran through the powerful grinder. He brought in the liver and some other organ meats and said we should run it though the grinder for sausage. As soon as he walked out some of the other leaders grabbed the organs and buried them in the trash, saying they didn't want to have that for breakfast on a Scouting trip. I had to laugh because I couldn't disagree but I also know how upset the leader/butcher would be if he knew what had happened. In another time, we probably would have fought over who was going to take the organ meats home.

Archived