SASS Wire Forum

5 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Very distracting to have six or seven, authors/ "experts" tell the viewer what Grant was thinking/doing.   Lost interest half way through the first episode.

I think it would be boring to have one guy telling the whole story. I like how they use different people, some of those people are retired military.

We had a power outage last night at 9:30 during the start of his presidency and the power did not come back on until about 11:15 after I had given up and gone to sleep. Sure hope I get to see the last part some time in the near future.

21 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

My favorite authority on the U.S. Civil War is Shelby Foote.

quote-people-want-to-know-why-the-south-

I think that people in the South had vivid memories of starvation and homelessness. That tends to stick in one's head for life. They passed that memory down to their sons and daughters as a lesson.

I thought that the show was heavily biased but did show Grant as he probably was. I enjoyed it although I'm real glad that I DVR'd it.

23 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

My favorite authority on the U.S. Civil War is Shelby Foote.

quote-people-want-to-know-why-the-south-

Anything that you need to know about the Civil War is contained in his three volumes.

It’s hard to believe that he wrote those million and a half words not just by hand but with an old fashioned pen and ink bottle using blotter paper

Returning to the topic -

I watch all three episodes.  It was a very accurate, though superficial, picture of a complex man.  I doubt it could be otherwise given the constraints of time (and for advertising to pay for it.)

If you have read Grant's autobiography (well worth the read) you will know far more than this brief series offers.  If your knowledge of Grant and his times consists of vague memories from a high school history course, then this will offer much.

Very informative. I never delved into Grant's history but this got me interested. Interesting guy and quite a life!

Ohio boy, born and raised!:FlagAm:

One thing I learned about Grant was his consumption of up to 20 cigars a day!  No wonder he succumbed to throat cancer!  I thought the reenactors were quite well done, though I suspect a lot of you reenactors will probably disagree.  The one scene that sticks in my mind is where one soldier cocks his musket and you can actually see the percussion cap on the cone before he fires! ;)

Stay well, Pards!

3 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

One thing I learned about Grant was his consumption of up to 20 cigars a day!  No wonder he succumbed to throat cancer!  I thought the reenactors were quite well done, though I suspect a lot of you reenactors will probably disagree.  The one scene that sticks in my mind is where one soldier cocks his musket and you can actually see the percussion cap on the cone before he fires! ;)

Stay well, Pards!

I noticed that also. 

3 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Stay well, Pards!

As a retired reenactor, I noticed that too. Good for them. Overall the battle scenes were superior to most big budget movies in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I didn't see any 2 band Enfields in that whole narrative.

DSCF0197.JPG

I expect eventually the Internet movie firearms database will have the info on what weapons were used in the film.

Archived