SASS Wire Forum

History Channel has a documentary about Grant 9:00 est

I like it. Watched it on TV.  Goodness, there’s a lot of commercials. It’s been a long while since I’ve watched a TV show with commercial breaks. Going to record the next two episodes to watch later and fast forward through all the commercials. 

It is a very politically slanted portrayal of the south!!  DeCaprio sends messages that are hateful toward people who were merely defending their homes and states that were prevented from legally departing the union.

My point of view, of course!

It's good. It's not about DeCaprio, it's about Grant. There wasn't a political note in it, unless we

make everything about the Civil War 'political'. 

I will say after a long time watching 'pay' series, it's painful to sit through the commercials. It's one thing to have ads; it's another to have longer ads than the program....

Missed it last night but it’s on again this evening. I’ll give it a shot

I watched it. I enjoyed it, except for all of the distractions going on around me, and the commercials.

I know they need to make a buck, but not all on one program. 

I thought they presented the facts pretty well. At least as I learned of them. 

I did learn a few things I didn't know about the man.

Watching episode 1 now. On Hulu the commercials are much shorter with a toner counting down the seconds. Not sure how they do that but I’m not complaining.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 9:58 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

It is a very politically slanted portrayal of the south!!  DeCaprio sends messages that are hateful toward people who were merely defending their homes and states that were prevented from legally departing the union.

My point of view, of course!

Not picking a fight, but the Civil War was about slavery, nothing more, nothing less. I seem to remember that South Carolina starting the shooting by firing on Ft Sumter.

3 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

, but the Civil War was about slavery,

No.  It was about being invaded & protecting your homeland from the invader.  Even Mr. Lincoln (of whom I am a huge fan, even tho he was never my president) knew the States had the right to secede from the union.  And you're durn right SC started it when the Union forces wouldn't get off our land.  I don't blame you for your belief; everybody knows the victor gets to write the history.

2 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Not picking a fight, but the Civil War was about slavery, nothing more, nothing less. I seem to remember that South Carolina starting the shooting by firing on Ft Sumter.

Agree to disagree.

For the South, it was about slavery.  Read through all of the States secession documents and they all list slavery as one of if not the prime objective.

For the Union, it seems to be more about protecting the Union. 

Those are the over-arching views.

But, for each side, it was also about more - money.

The thing is , IMO, the people actually doing the fighting probably didn't know much about any of it.

The politicians of the day, the ones who stood to profit or lose the most, spun the story as they saw fit to rile the people to their cause.

Seems some things never change.

Don't look back and say you would have done this or you would have done that if you lived then.  That's real easy to do with 150+ years of progress (using that term loosely).  Unless you grew up in that era, you can't say how you would react.  No different than Joe civilian claiming from his recliner how he'd run into a burning building or straight into a shoot-out, you don't know.

4 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Nice to to know that yet again revisionists have succeeded. 

8 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I will NOT again argue this here!!  In past discussions, I have offered proof of my point of view.  The south and the several states were legally entitled to leave the union!!  The north had no right to occupy the seceding states once notice of separation was given. When union troops refused to leave the new nation, they were compelled to do so by righteous force of arms!! The political machine of the north had realized that the north could not survive without the natural resources and capital goods produced by the south and decided to force the seceding states to remain "captive" and to invade the newly declared nation.

To the north, slavery did NOT become a major issue until 1863 when Lincoln realized that he was losing the war AND losing the faith of the people. Keep in mind that the "Emancipation Proclamation" ONLY pertained to the states that were part of the Confederacy!!  Maryland and other union states that allowed slavery were allowed to continue the practice for quite some time after the conclusion of the war!!  Lincoln made slavery the fulcrum point of a "Holy War" and the northern media pounced on the issue with the ferocity of a pack of starving wolves!!

The actual combatants on both sides, not including some leaders, fought the war over the invasion of the south and in defense of their own and sovereign land. As others have stated above, the winners of the war get to write the history.  I would further add that as time goes on, history is continuously rewritten to suit the vision, (in this case, political correctness) of those who seek to control.

Not interested in a fight, nor will anything I say, or ay proof I offer change your mind. 

I liked it.

The CW is an interesting topic and has much to offer. Lee's biography revealed much I didn't know about the man and the war.

59 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I will NOT again argue this here!!

You have an interesting way of not arguing

The south and the several states were legally entitled to leave the union!! The north had no right to occupy the seceding states once notice of separation was given.

On this issue, I technically agree with you. If one accepts as accurate the arguments put forth by Jefferson and Madison, who arguably should know better than any others, that the Constitution comprised a compact, or a contract between the states, then the individual states should have had the right to end the contract at any such time as it became repugnant to them.

When union troops refused to leave the new nation, they were compelled to do so by righteous force of arms!!

To the north, slavery did NOT become a major issue until 1863

This second statement completely ignores the fact that to the South, slavery was a major issue for secession and the war. The documents declaring the causes for secession of Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Virginia, Alabama and Texas all explicitly mention slavery and the hostility toward the institution as being among their most important reasons for seceding. Given this, while I agree the states had the right to secede, you will understand why I cannot, by any measure, refer to one of their primary causes for doing so "righteous."

Now, people can argue "the winners write the history books" and the like, but unless someone is asserting the documents listed are themselves fraudulent, they speak for themselves as to the motives of the leadership in seceding. As we all know, the institution of slavery was one which nearly derailed the Constitution to begin with, and befuddled one of the greatest minds of American History, Thomas Jefferson.

3 minutes ago, DocWard said:

You have an interesting way of not arguing

On this issue, I technically agree with you. If one accepts as accurate the arguments put forth by Jefferson and Madison, who arguably should know better than any others, that the Constitution comprised a compact, or a contract between the states, then the individual states should have had the right to end the contract at any such time as it became repugnant to them.

This second statement completely ignores the fact that to the South, slavery was a major issue for secession and the war. The documents declaring the causes for secession of Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Virginia, Alabama and Texas all explicitly mention slavery and the hostility toward the institution as being among their most important reasons for seceding. Given this, while I agree the states had the right to secede, you will understand why I cannot, by any measure, refer to one of their primary causes for doing so "righteous."

Now, people can argue "the winners write the history books" and the like, but unless someone is asserting the documents listed are themselves fraudulent, they speak for themselves as to the motives of the leadership in seceding. As we all know, the institution of slavery was one which nearly derailed the Constitution to begin with, and befuddled one of the greatest minds of American History, Thomas Jefferson.

To argue is to repeatedly disagree and confront the issue.  I've argued this subject many times and one statement is not an argument. I made my statement. I'm not debating.  I'll not return to this post.

So keep arguing about the Civil War and get this post removed! Real smart!:angry:

:FlagAm: This is my flag period!

6 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

:FlagAm: This is my flag period!

Hey, what a coincidence!

Having studied the war for decades, re-enacted many battles in my prime and been a contributing member of the South Florida Civil War Roundtable, I feel I am qualified to debate almost any aspect of the conflict. From the root causes, politics, strategy of both sides, leadership, tactics, etc. 

It was a very complicated situation, more so than many rebellions around the world throughout recorded history.

But I will not bother to engage in the endless Blue vs Gray argument here, which will continue for another century at least.

I can only say that, as usual, old men sent young men off to die. Neither side is totally blameless.

2 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Very distracting to have six or seven, authors/ "experts" tell the viewer what Grant was thinking/doing.   Lost interest half way through the first episode.

Not my favorite part either, but they've been doing it that way since the dawn of the "docudrama".  

51 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Very distracting to have six or seven, authors/ "experts" tell the viewer what Grant was thinking/doing.   Lost interest half way through the first episode.

You see....you see?  If they only used one expert, that'd be plagiarism.  Using several experts, it's then documentary research. 

Oh, and look at all the commercial (ads) research that was taking place!!

Recording episodes 2 & 3 to watch later so as not to be overwhelmed with commercial research.

Like Bob I have spent sixty years studying the Civil War from the pre-war years to reconstruction and attended seminars and lectures given by some of the greatest authorities on the subject. I have a collection of several hundred books on the war and regularly attend the Civil War Institute in Gettysburg. 
With all that said I will assure you that the cause of the Civil War was much more complex than slavery  

Archived