SASS Wire Forum

Another Outlaw Queston

Marshal Hangtree

I know that pistols and shotguns are supposed to be shot at or below chest level, not brought up to eye level for sighted shooting.  Rifles, on the other hand, may be brought up to eye level for sighted shooting.  Presumably this is because rifle targets are usually set up farther away, and therefore harder to hit.

But, during the odd stage where the shooter has to engage a pistol target that is far smaller than normal, say a 6 inch gong, is it ever permmissible for the Outlaw to use his sights to engage the small targets?  Or is the almost assured miss just part of shooting Outlaw?

Thanks y'all.

When you shoot OUTLAW and have situations as you described, the rest of us Padiwans ain't gonna

feel any pity on ya..... :D

Heck, I've seen many of them do things with their pistols that most of us only dream about.

And some of them can smoke with their SG also.

..........Widder

I try to stay out of the Outlaw discussions but this is a straight up question. Marshal since there are not hard and fast rules you can always get with the other Outlaws and ask if they want to allow aiming at a small target. We have shot poppers from the hip, miss a lot, others are really good at it. Yazoo City Gal has hit more poppers than she misses. Me, I miss most of the time. I like small targets occasionally, slow down and look at the center of the target.

10 hours ago, Tn Tombstone said:

I try to stay out of the Outlaw discussions but this is a straight up question. Marshal since there are not hard and fast rules you can always get with the other Outlaws and ask if they want to allow aiming at a small target. We have shot poppers from the hip, miss a lot, others are really good at it. Yazoo City Gal has hit more poppers than she misses. Me, I miss most of the time. I like small targets occasionally, slow down and look at the center of the target.

Thanks, Tn Tombstone.  I haven't shot as an Outlaw yet, but have been toying with the idea.  We had a stage this weekend where the shooter would have to engage 2 small knock-down targets with pistols.  This was no problem as I was shooting Duelist, but I wondered how in the world I would hit those things shooting Outlaw style.  We don't have any other Outlaws shooting with our club to come to an agreement with, so I was just wondering how other Outlaws would approach this scenario.

If I tried to aim it would change my timing and would probably cost me a miss and the time it took me to try to aim. I have been hip-shooting so long the muscle memory makes me really have to concentrate on getting my back sights up high enough. If you want to practice a little try placing a dot in the center of the target as a focus point. One of the clubs I shoot at used to place a dot on each target at the start of the match. I did much better on the first two stages until that dot got blasted off. 

Good luck, sorry for the bad language on the forum. I hate to use words like practice in mixed company.

13 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

I know that pistols and shotguns are supposed to be shot at or below chest level, not brought up to eye level for sighted shooting.  Rifles, on the other hand, may be brought up to eye level for sighted shooting.  Presumably this is because rifle targets are usually set up farther away, and therefore harder to hit.

But, during the odd stage where the shooter has to engage a pistol target that is far smaller than normal, say a 6 inch gong, is it ever permmissible for the Outlaw to use his sights to engage the small targets?  Or is the almost assured miss just part of shooting Outlaw?

Thanks y'all.

Hi Marshal,

If you shoot outlaw style, be prepared to miss a lot until you get good.  It goes with the territory.  Practice with .22's.

Be prepared to miss small targets shooting outlaw style but shoot at'em anyway!   Sometimes you'll hit them and the sensation is wonderful!  :lol:

Rifle targets are "set up further and harder to hit" BUT shooting an 1873 Uberti outlaw style ala "Rifleman" can be tricky!  

If you don't do it right;  you will pinch your trigger finger so bad -- you will not soon forget it!  It's worse if you draw blood!  :(

The sensation is not wonderful!  :lol:

Gunfighter and Outlaw are the coolest ways to shoot!  Go for it!  

Mo

Actually we only have one person that calls it Ultimate Outlaw, all my partners that shoot the rifle from the hip still call it Outlaw. Rifle from the hip should be called "Rifleman"

1 hour ago, Tn Tombstone said:

Actually we only have one person that calls it Ultimate Outlaw, all my partners that shoot the rifle from the hip still call it Outlaw. Rifle from the hip should be called "Rifleman"

Or "Not Too Tall". :o

He shot more clean matches in one year then I have in the 20 I have been shooting Outlaw.

When I first started shooting Outlaw I would bring two boxes of SG shells to every match and I needed every one.

Misses come with the territory.

Just go for it Marshall.

When you make hits you think you shouldn't have that's a great feeling.

Waimea

My partner and fellow Outlaw Waimea is correct. There is nothing like hitting a small target everyone thought you would miss. As much as I dislike bonus targets, I have hit a stationary clay bird at about 20 yards from the draw for a 10 second kicker and I hit an egg at about 8 yards for 5 seconds. I have missed more shots like that than I have hit but I got a lot of style points.

I am not an outlaw but live in East Tennessee and shoot with some fantastic outlaws! I have never seen any of them ever lift a pistol or shotgun from the hip on ANY targets. Over the years I have seen Tombstone, Waimea, T Bone Dooley, Whiskey Creek Johnson, Loose Cinch, Larry Earp, Dirt Road Dude, Marshall Too Tall and others make some incredible shots from the hip. But the best shot I ever saw was Tombstone bust an egg with a pistol that I missed using sights after I burned a 1/2 second drawing a bead on it. It is funny that he mentioned it, and I don't know if he even remembers me on the posse, but it was the best example of Outlaw that I have ever seen!

Archived