SASS Wire Forum

The new guidelines from SASS HQ are out

With all the crowds of people who were out this past week/weekend ... it will be clear ... Either cases will spike ... or not ... 

If not ... it will be over w/o regard to any guidelines or directives ... 

33 minutes ago, Patagonia Pete said:

With all the crowds of people who were out this past week/weekend ... it will be clear ... Either cases will spike ... or not ... 

If not ... it will be over w/o regard to any guidelines or directives ... 

We lived through Woodstock and the Hong Kong flu, I’ll bet we get through the Kung Flu just fine. Giving up our civil liberties so easily may not be survivable.

I had three Business Law classes. I am by no means well versed in the law. My second class had an Administrative Law Judge as a professor. If I remember nothing else, I remember his telling us that Liability Waivers are worthless in cases of real negligence. They merely serve as a means of preventing dumb people from filing suits against companies.

Hi Allie Mo - hope all is good with you!  This is our understanding, too. Further, I’m sure there are a few shooters who actually read the waivers, but most don’t and therefore they don’t know what it says - or doesn’t say. I think a waiver serves the greater purpose of having a shooter think or believe that if they choose to participate, they assume some responsibility when they sign it.

RR

5 minutes ago, Popcorn Kelly said:

Question about SASS Best Practice Guidelines allowing shooters to not wear masks.  Why do you think SASS Best Practice Guidelines allows shooters to remove their masks?  I'm relatively new to this sport.  I presume it is because masks can be an unnecessary distraction to the shooter which makes them a potential safety hazard.  I personally would find them a significant distraction, potentially interfering with my vision, and perhaps getting dislodged during shooting - all things I don't need to deal with for those few seconds.  Am I thinking along the right lines? 

Maybe because they don’t do much good.

I had to do some research on the topic of waivers and found that some state courts don't even recognize them while others do.  The level of recognition varies significantly from state to state.  I did conclude that because our posse is a shooting discipline of the main sportsman's club, the club would be the party that would need to require signed waivers.  I sent off an email so that the club could contact their insurer and possibly an attorney for advice on how to proceed.  Now we wait.  The good news is that I don't have to continue my work on the "google machine" for this one.

10 minutes ago, Popcorn Kelly said:

Question about SASS Best Practice Guidelines allowing shooters to not wear masks.  Why do you think SASS Best Practice Guidelines allows shooters to remove their masks?  I'm relatively new to this sport.  I presume it is because masks can be an unnecessary distraction to the shooter which makes them a potential safety hazard.  I personally would find them a significant distraction, potentially interfering with my vision, and perhaps getting dislodged during shooting - all things I don't need to deal with for those few seconds.  Am I thinking along the right lines? 

Because there is no law requiring anyone to wear a mask, only recommendations and shaming by the overly fearful (some politicians believe they can mandate it, they cannot).  That said, your club may have a local rule that requires it while you shoot(I've already seen it to be the case in a couple of places), so ask the club first;  if you don't feel good about that then stay home.

On 5/25/2020 at 3:38 PM, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Remember 1969?

They had a small gathering called Woodstock?

There was an influenza "epidemic" (Hong Cong Flu) going on that killed 100,000 in the US and over 1,000,000 world wide. 

We did not shutdown the nation and survived rather well.

That was without government guidelines requiring questionable reporting in death certificates to inflate the virus impact. 

(Multiple Doctors around the nation have reported on the deceptive guidelines.)

So we have never seen anything like this before.  (Where the healthy were quarantined instead of the ill.)

The over-restrictive requirements that were meant to be helpful were not sustainable. 

People are now essentially rebelling. 

So we were forced from one extreme to another.

A good friend in very poor heath in her late 70's got it and we doubted she could survive.  She's fine now and being scheduled for her hip replacement. 

So this virus is very unpredictable and shows to be survivable over 99% of the time.  As a sickly old guy, I'm still careful, but realize we just need to use common sense as we did with other virus's. 

The virus is serious, but this has been well described as a panicdemic.

To be accurate, 100,000 of those people in fact did not survive rather well at all. 

46 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

To be accurate, 100,000 of those people in fact did not survive rather well at all. 

I think he said that.

9 hours ago, Popcorn Kelly said:

Comments on Best Practices?

Yo, PK!

Enjoyed shooting with you last weekend.  Glad you made it home safely.  Here’s hoping our casual attitude didn’t make you uncomfortable!  ;)

Hope you will come back.

On 5/25/2020 at 12:33 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I don't know the answer to your question, but its my understanding that Bacteria and a Virus are 2 separate animals.

Fired brass may very well kill any and all bacteria...... but a Virus might actually thrive in the same conditions.

My post reflects only those comments I have heard during all these C19 news briefings and I have NO knowledge of how

Germs, Bacteria or Viruses live or die.

..........Widder

You’re are correct that bacteria and virus are 2 different (vastly different) critters.  It takes heat for a specific length of time to kill either.  There are 1000s and 1000s of both.  Each has its own set of temp/time requirements for "killing" to occur. 

When milk is pasteurized, there is a very specific temp/time requirement to kill off the disease-causing organisms.  Normal pasteurizing does not sterilize the milk.  Spoilage organisms are will survive.  That’s why there is a pull date on milk cartons.  And milk will sour sometime after the pull date, even if it is kept under the correct refrigeration temps.

Bacteria are living, usually single cell, organisms.  Virus are only a protective coat with either DNA or RNA inside the coat.  They only reproduce after they have infected a living cell.  The DNA/RNA takes over the cell’s “machinery” to make more virus.  The cell ruptures and releases the newly created virus which now look for more cells to infect.  It’s the perfect parasite.   

Again, without a living cell to infect, virus cannot reproduce themselves.  Can they exist outside of living cell, usually, for various length of time.  It all depends on the virus and the environmental conditions.

So, is the temperature of a recently fired brass case hot enough to kill the Covid-19?  Without extensive testing to provide a definitive answer, I would error on the side of caution and treat each and every case as if it were contaminated.  Simple fix is to wear protective gloves and dump the fired cases into a container with a sanitizing solution.  A mixture of household bleach and water so do the trick.  But don’t let it mixture become too dirty, dirt will neutralize the bleach.

All I can say is we should be treating our brass like it's contaminated regardless of the China Flu, because it is; with lead.  There has always been the need to wash our hands after handling brass, not real sure where the disconnect is.

31 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I think he said that.

Yes and right after said “we did not shut down the nation and survived rather well”. I’m just pointing out that not every one survived rather well. 

"....Recovering from injury and disease is part of the human condition.

Recovering your rights, once surrendered, is much more difficult....."

amen to that chuck steak , and it seems there are always folks wanting to take them away and control you , 

22 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

How about we all just wear hazmat suits, goggles and respirators? Side benefit is it would simplify costuming. <_<

Found this unused company-issue kit (with cartridge respirator, goggles, nitrile gloves, Tyvek suits) while clearing out a storage area last week.

Never used after training because I refused to shave the beard. :ph34r:

hazmat kit.jpg

17 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Please, lets keep politics out of this thread.

Whether any measure is insufficient or excessive, the goal is to go shoot again.

Whether you believe we are opening too soon or should never have shut down at all, this thread is about how we are going to get shooting again.

I want to go shoot again.

Thank you x 100  ! 

On 5/25/2020 at 12:08 PM, Tyrel Cody said:

Awards and pins should be individually bagged whenever possible.

Ahh..  Ain't you going to disinfect the bags?  And bring them to the range in a sterilized container? 

1 minute ago, Warden Callaway said:

Ahh..  Ain't you going to disinfect the bags?  And bring them to the range in a sterilized container? 

That was just me quoting the SASS email. Regardless, no I'm not; I'll hand them out and point out the hand sanitizer location.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

Has SASS rescinted these guidelines?   Modified them?  Set a date to expire? 

Does it matter?

Are SASS Affiliated Club bound by some contractual arrangement to abide by them?

Phantom

I'm going to Black Gold.  I'm gonna hug anybody who will allow it.  I don't have it.  If I get it from anybody at Black Gold, so be it.  I can deal.

On 5/26/2020 at 10:25 AM, Tyrel Cody said:

Because there is no law requiring anyone to wear a mask, only recommendations and shaming by the overly fearful (some politicians believe they can mandate it, they cannot).  That said, your club may have a local rule that requires it while you shoot(I've already seen it to be the case in a couple of places), so ask the club first;  if you don't feel good about that then stay home.

The power of the Governor or State Health Officer varies from state to state.  In some states (CA for example), the State Health Official has authority granted by statute, to quarantine persons or promulgate other emergency regulations as needed to establish requirements necessary to protect the general health of the public.  Those Regulations are published in Title 14, CA Code of Regulations, and violations are punishable as misdemeanors.   Other states handle it differently, but public health and safety is generally given emergency priority in most states in one firm or another.   Whether or not the Governor chooses to enforce, and/or the Courts choose to uphold, the Regs is another matter. 

Properly promulgated, a mask requirement does have the power of law.  

On 5/26/2020 at 8:34 AM, Chuck Steak said:

Recovering from injury and disease is part of the human condition.

Recovering your rights, once surrendered, is much more difficult.

Which right is it, exactly, that guarantees we will not be required to wear a mask to protect the public against a pandemic? 

Just asking.  

Is the law requiring wearing clothes in public a similar violation of that same right? 

Conversely, does "stand your ground" mean a person can take needed steps, including deadly force if needed, to protect themselves from an assailant who refuses to wear COVID protection and refuses to distance themself? Or does "stand your ground" only apply to your home, and not apply to outside locations, so the person being attacked simply has to leave the venue? 

Again, just asking. 

You can bet these kind of questions will come up in courts before all of this is over.  

On 5/25/2020 at 6:38 PM, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Remember 1969?

They had a small gathering called Woodstock?

There was an influenza "epidemic" (Hong Cong Flu) going on that killed 100,000 in the US and over 1,000,000 world wide. 

We did not shutdown the nation and survived rather well.

That was without government guidelines requiring questionable reporting in death certificates to inflate the virus impact. 

(Multiple Doctors around the nation have reported on the deceptive guidelines.)

So we have never seen anything like this before.  (Where the healthy were quarantined instead of the ill.)

The over-restrictive requirements that were meant to be helpful were not sustainable. 

People are now essentially rebelling. 

So we were forced from one extreme to another.

A good friend in very poor heath in her late 70's got it and we doubted she could survive.  She's fine now and being scheduled for her hip replacement. 

So this virus is very unpredictable and shows to be survivable over 99% of the time.  As a sickly old guy, I'm still careful, but realize we just need to use common sense as we did with other virus's. 

The virus is serious, but this has been well described as a panicdemic.

Amen

On 6/29/2020 at 2:46 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Does it matter?

Are SASS Affiliated Club bound by some contractual arrangement to abide by them?

Phantom

NO! I support shooters taking precautions and adhering to recommended guidelines. Clubs should provide as much reasonable opportunity as possible for their members to be safe and to meet any current legal requirements. Beyond that, just being respectful to other shooters by staying out of their "Space" and not crowding them is something that everyone should do. Only some @$$#0!$ would do otherwise.  I CHOOSE to follow most of the safety recommendations. Some people get the idea that they have the Authority and or the Power to force everyone to do things the way that they think it should be done. Those kind of dictations are little more than folly. They can't enforce them, and if they try they will just further deplete their cub membership. If you choose to mask up etc, then good for you, I happen to agree with that, but if you choose not to... that is YOUR choice and I will support you on it. What ever you choose, please stay out of my "space" and allow me the opportunity to exercise my free will.  If that is not acceptable to you, then you really should consider staying home.  

Snakebite

On 7/2/2020 at 4:16 PM, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Which right is it, exactly, that guarantees we will not be required to wear a mask to protect the public against a pandemic? 

Just asking.  

Is the law requiring wearing clothes in public a similar violation of that same right? 

Conversely, does "stand your ground" mean a person can take needed steps, including deadly force if needed, to protect themselves from an assailant who refuses to wear COVID protection and refuses to distance themself? Or does "stand your ground" only apply to your home, and not apply to outside locations, so the person being attacked simply has to leave the venue? 

Again, just asking. 

You can bet these kind of questions will come up in courts before all of this is over.  

Based on this  rhetoric above, for your safety and those around you,  you should probably stay at home indoors and not venture out until someday in the future your masters allow you!

Implied threats regarding “ stand your ground” in a firearms forum could  appear to be a “ Red Flag”. These statements should cause concern to clubs when your present. Stay home, stay distant for all involved!

.:FlagAm:

34 minutes ago, Captain Clark said:

Based on this  rhetoric above, for your safety and those around you,  you should probably stay at home indoors and not venture out until someday in the future your masters allow you!

Implied threats regarding “ stand your ground” in a firearms forum could  appear to be a “ Red Flag”. These statements should cause concern to clubs when your present. Stay home, stay distant for all involved!

.:FlagAm:

But the core question if "specifically, which right is it" remains unanswered.. 

Archived