SASS Wire Forum

BBQ Conundrum - Appeal To Our Chefs

Calamity Kris

Well, it's raining here.  Will be all day.  I was supposed to smoke a large rack of St Louis style ribs and a tri tip.  My smoker is electric and I don't have a place to safely operate it in the rain.  I need to cook the meat today before it goes bad.  What can you suggest?  The oven in the house is a convection oven and I do have a large crock pot......

I see there are lots of oven baked rib recipes out there.  I'm looking for experience.  What have you done that worked for you?

Thank you,

CK

@Calamity Kris Prep your ribs just like you would for the smoker including a good dry rub on the meat side.

Turn on the broiler part of your oven and set to high. Leave the door slightly ajar so the broiler doesn't shut off. Place your ribs bone side up under the broiler and leaving the door ajar keep an eye on them. You want to cook them till they are lightly brown.  The excess fat will liquefy and when you flip them over it will drain off. The bone marrow will ooze out of the cut ends of the ribs. This is normal.

Once the bone side is browned, turn off the broiler and set the oven temp to 225 degrees. Turn off the convection function of your oven.  Place the ribs meat side up on the middle rack of your oven. Put a pan with a 1/2 inch or so of water beneath the ribs.  Depending on how meaty they are cooking time will be between 5 and 6 hours.

\

Never had a complaint when cooked this way and I have used this technique for several years.

Kris, that is the reason I keep a pop up canopy handy. 

I cannot top SD’s suggestion except for this; if your oven isn’t big enough I would cook some separated ribs in a crock pot smothered in sauce. 

If the rack is too long cut it in half.  You can also add a second oven rack above the first for an additional slab of ribs.  Every 2 hours swap the top and bottom slabs so that they both get done at about the same time.

How to tell when they are done.  Use your tongs and pick up the slab from one end. Allow the other end to sag. If the meat cracks they are done. Because you are cooking the ribs low and slow, once they crack using the bend test, you have at least 30 minutes to cook the rest of the meal without worrying about over cooking the ribs.

The only down side to oven ribs is that you cannot smoke them. Other than that they come out really nice.

If you like your ribs wet, once they are done fire up the broiler. Brush on your favorite sauce and then caramelize it under the broiler.  Be sure to keep an eye on them so you don't burn the sauce.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

@Calamity Kris Prep your ribs just like you would for the smoker including a good dry rub on the meat side.

Turn on the broiler part of your oven and set to high. Leave the door slightly ajar so the broiler doesn't shut off. Place your ribs bone side up under the broiler and leaving the door ajar keep an eye on them. You want to cook them till they are lightly brown.  The excess fat will liquefy and when you flip them over it will drain off. The bone marrow will ooze out of the cut ends of the ribs. This is normal.

Once the bone side is browned, turn off the broiler and set the oven temp to 225 degrees. Turn off the convection function of your oven.  Place the ribs meat side up on the middle rack of your oven. Put a pan with a 1/2 inch or so of water beneath the ribs.  Depending on how meaty they are cooking time will be between 5 and 6 hours.

\

Never had a complaint when cooked this way and I have used this technique for several years.

Nothing wrong with that recipe, I do it in the opposite order, slow cook first and then broil (with sauce if desired). In the broil stage, one extra minute can make the difference between caramel and charcoal so be careful.

Rather than red sauce, I like to use something like peach preserves, add some chili flakes, brown sugar, and a splash of vinegar to barely thin it.

Ribs sound good, wish I had some here now.

YouTube can be your friend sometimes.  Lots of suggestions for oven baked ribs on there.  I picked one several years ago (can’t remember which one) but it worked fine.  Good luck!

(Let everyone get real hungry and provide plenty of beer and wine; they will love ‘em!)

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The only down side to oven ribs is that you cannot smoke them. Other than that they come out really nice.

With a roasting pan, some foil, and a disposable foil tray you can rig up a stovetop smoker.  Something along the lines of this

just a few modifications because of the type of pot.  Or maybe sort of like

I will sometimes cook ribs at 275  for about 3 hours in a ribbed bottom, covered pan until they are fall off the bone tender. use whatever seasoning you want including a little liquid smoke. They can be frozen in containers or plastic wrap.Then when you ready to eat them thaw and then broil them.

kR

Do you have an InstaPot?

I've been living out of a motel since the first week of February.

When I cook on my smoker, I don't marinate the ribs.

When using an InstaPot I marinate the ribs for at least 12 hours in apple juice with a little brown sugar mixed in.

Place in InstaPot for about 20 minutes per pound. 

Then place ribs on a cookie sheet and dust with dry rub and place under broiler just long enough to crisp up slightly.

It's not as good as smoked, but it beats nothing.

When my kids were in college they both worked in the restaurant of an exclusive country club.  The chef has always been praised for having some of the best ribs in town.  His secret was that he boiled his ribs first and added liquid smoke to the water and then finished them off on the grill with his excellent sauce.

I've done this home and it sure made cooking ribs on much easier and the meat falls right off the bone.

36 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

Do you have an InstaPot?

I've been living out of a motel since the first week of February.

When I cook on my smoker, I don't marinate the ribs.

When using an InstaPot I marinate the ribs for at least 12 hours in apple juice with a little brown sugar mixed in.

Place in InstaPot for about 20 minutes per pound. 

Then place ribs on a cookie sheet and dust with dry rub and place under broiler just long enough to crisp up slightly.

It's not as good as smoked, but it beats nothing.

I usually use a electric smoker for ribs but lately we've been using the InstaPot for making ribs. Rub your seasonings/rub on, put them in there, take them out, put you sauce of favor on it and broil in oven until the sauce is the way you like it. My gal loves them this way....

I know, it's just wrong to cook ribs in an InstaPot......but they are fall off the bone moist and tasty.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  They are in the oven now.  I'll report back on how they came out.

Pat, a pop up canopy wouldn't help in this case because the electrical plugs are on the sides of the house, not the back.  I have to run a REALLY long extension cord to plug the smoker in.  That is the primary reason why I couldn't run the smoker today.

Chief RIck, no I don't have an instapot.  I do have a pressure cooker.  Maybe next time I'll try that instead. 

10 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

\

OMG!!!!  They were wonderful!!!  Uno thanks you profusely, as do I.  I served them with fresh out of the oven corn bread with honey butter and peas.  Dessert was German Chocolate Cake and decaf.

Thank you again!!   

Archived