SASS Wire Forum

Almost Heaven...

...West Virginia. 

Mini-family gathering at the New River Gorge this weekend. 

We used to bring our kids here growing up. Now one of them and his wife brought their kid along. 

Still one of the prettiest and most peaceful places I know.

DC423292-5A02-487A-9033-F63386D61872.jpeg

I was thinking I heard a John Denver song somewhere in the background. ;)

In my many travels, I took the opportunity to visit Harper's Ferry, WV back in 2010.  I had been called to active duty by the army to work in the pentagon for a year, and spent my weekends visiting the historic sites on the East coast.  

Harper's Ferry was the site of the army's first arsenal; some of the machinery appears in one of the photos.  It is also the site of the famous action by John Brown, who tried to incite a slave rebellion in 1859 in Harper's Ferry.  He was accompanied by Harriet Tubman and others.  He was captured, tried, and hung as a traitor.  The building in which he holed up and had a stand-off with the army is the last photo.  

The most interesting tidbit of this whole affair was that Colonel Robert E. Lee, U.S. Army, was in command of the forces sent to capture him.  

DSC02149.jpeg

DSC02150.jpeg

DSC02159.jpeg

DSC02162.jpeg

DSC02104.jpeg

I have always loved West Virginia. I considered retiring there. 

The first time I heard John Denver’s song “Take Me Home Country Roads” it was a beautiful Spring day in 1971. We were on a two lane country road heading to Hundred, WV to paint a house. My Dad was a Gen’l Contractor. We lived in Southwestern PA. I was 10 years old. 

It was sunny and gorgeous. It was about 70 degrees. The trees had all their leaves. All the windows in the station wagon were down. There was a lull in conversation between my Dad and his 3 painters and this song came on. My brother Jeff was sitting next to me. It was perfectly beautiful for just a few minutes. 

I will never forget that day. Life was perfect for just a little while. 

Oh! I forget to say...

Charlie, I have been to that gorge on several occasions. What a beautiful place. I never camped around there or did any rafting or fishing but it’s a very nice area. 

One day a year they used to let us base jump from the New River Gorge bridge, don't know if they still do. It's a beautiful area.

We stayed in Harper's Ferry last Spring; having been there one other time several years before. I've only been in that corner of the State, but it's obvious WV is a beautiful state.  To see the confluence of the Potomac and the Shenandoah at HF is moving in itself with all of the history it evokes.

For a westerner, it's always impressive how many states you enter in such short distances!

Went to Cass, West Virginia to see the Cass Scenic Railway. An old logging line made into a Museum railroad. They still run the old geared steam locomotives from Cass up to Bald Knob and back. The sound of the steam whistles echoing through those mountains has to be heard to be fully appreciated. 

It is where I call home since retiring 3 years ago. I love it here. Yes we still jump off the bridge the bridge every October  (we dose NOT Mean me)

not a big fan of our 9 month winter 

but summer is awesome 

Born and mostly raised WV.  Rappeled and climbed back up the rope off the New River Gorge bridge before they opened it (still under construction at the time, VERY illegal) did it legally later before they allowed base jumping. Used to train river guides on how to recover breached rafts, canoes, etc. for the commercial guide companies on the New and Gauley. Did both in rafts at flood stage many times. (before Spring runoff lowered enough to take paying customers) trained the guides.  Got my BS at WVU.

Archived